Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Kane Cornes just sunk the boot into heeney…don’t blame him
Yeah sinking a boot into an injured player. I’d sink the boot into Chad Warner and Errol Gulden first to be honest

Yeah sinking a boot into an injured player. I’d sink the boot into Chad Warner and Errol Gulden first to be honest
The injury excuse doesn’t fly . First time it’s ever mentioned is after a gf flogging.

The club gives nothing all year in regards to injuries etc but can’t roll out the excuses fast enough after another humiliation on gf day.

Piss poor

The injury excuse doesn’t fly . First time it’s ever mentioned is after a gf flogging.

The club gives nothing all year in regards to injuries etc but can’t roll out the excuses fast enough after another humiliation on gf day.

Piss poor
What’s Errol done in both Grand Finals he’s played in? Nothing

There was a time when we would play poorly, absorb, and only be 4-5 goals down at HT. This current group just capitulates on the scoreboard so easily. We were 7 points down 1/4 of the way through the second qtr and go into HT just shy of 50 down....shameful.
Pre-game I was actually confident if we were with them midway through the 2nd qtr (which we were) we'd run over them, but watching the game it was very different...you could tell even when we were keeping pace with them on the scoreboard we were in one of our 'shit the bed' moods and that we would get flogged.

The gap between our best and worst in unfathomable, it's genuinely 'best the league football' to 'wooden spoon level' football. In 3 years with this group that gap just hasn't closed.

The list is talented but I'm concerned about what this does mentally. That bloody soft underbelly is the biggest issue.
From a personnel point of view the defence really was a weak link all year, the mids protected it well most of the time, but as soon as that defence needs to stand on it's own 2 feet for a bit it crumbles. A lot of what we do in the offseason needs to be about fixing up that defence.

Game was over when Rampe had a chance to lay a big hit on Raynor who was running back with the flight. Instead he meekly steps aside and reaches out to try and hold him up.

Luke Hodge would have spoiled the campaigner into the top tier. Dangerfield would have crushed the campaigners ribs into dust.

Rampe steps aside and Raynor sets up a goal.
Can I just say, I have an irrational urge to tell you to **** off without even reading your posts purely and simply because of your profile picture. Then I realise who it is that's posting and that you are a swan and I calm down again. Something about the druggies.

Last edited:
Not saying they shouldn’t cop it, but enough with the excuses . Makes everyone look weak
Pinning the blame on one is poor. Heeney was our best player in the finals up until the Grand Final

The players get shielded from the media and have professional psychological assistance available to them.

The supporter can’t turn anywhere without having to live the shame of another flogging. Social Media, TV your workplace, your friends. Doesn’t matter you’re going to cop it.

The supporters live with the scars as only the most delusional will think we’re a chance if we make another Grand Final with anyone attached to the past.

Leading up to the 96 final I was so immersed so excited. The loss hurt but that taste of finals built up a new level of all in support. This week I avoided everything and let everyone know I expected a loss and that it would destroy me. Bit of forward thinking self preservation, my family haven’t spoken to me as they don’t know what to say. So that kind of feeling begs the question is it worth it. What would the week look like if we ever made a Grand Final again.

Supporters don’t deserve to take the brunt of insipid Grand FInal performances but that’s seemingly our lot. Those early 90’s years were
Tough but you accepted that back then. Success is such a tease.

Don’t take it so seriously and personally. It’s just a game. We’ll feel it for a few days, but we’ll go again next year. We’ll win one eventually and it will be all the sweeter for the last 4 disappointments.

It’s a bit much how you’re all talking about it like it’s the end of the world. It’s really not. The club won’t fold. We’ll bounce back like we always do.

Don’t take it so seriously and personally. It’s just a game. We’ll feel it for a few days, but we’ll go again next year. We’ll win one eventually and it will be all the sweeter for the last 4 disappointments.

It’s a bit much how you’re all talking about it like it’s the end of the world. It’s really not. The club won’t fold. We’ll bounce back like we always do.
It’s important to have something to fall back on when shit goes south.

Piss poor
I think the meejah may also be gaslighting us over the exceptional coaching staff we have. Players visibly carry their ineptitude in the big games, but fmd we structured up in the most favourable way for the Lions….made stupid moves after halftime, and seemingly now playing another injured player in the big one….then hearing no accountability taken anywhere….suchha soft response to a day of poor poor coaching, strategy and execution, AGAIN. It’s not a one off….this is a pattern we are in and the personnel at the top need to initiate a full review, do it now while we are still somewhat successful, don’t wait until the wheels have completely fallen off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heeney was ordinary and now injured seems sooky to a degree

But he also carried the so called big 3 in the other two finals so if anyone was due an average final it was him. Not that it's an excuse but others are allowed to pitch in.

Great words. I know for a lot of Swans fans, the club is everything to them and it’s understandable that they take this loss very hard, but even for them, there is still the world out there, with plenty of joy and beauty and love there if you get into the habit of looking for it.

But, it has to be said, if anyone is really struggling mentally, get help! Seriously. Don’t try to tough it out or suppress it.

It’s important to have something to fall back on when shit goes south.
Go Storm……for the record as a Storm foundation member I think each time both Swans and Storm have mad the big one in the same year, they either both win, 2012, or both lose, 2006 and 2016. Oh no……..

Adding nothing new, but oh well.

Was on the fence at half forward, so not the best spot to analyse a game.

As others have said - Rowbottom, Fox, Melican, Jordon, Cunningham etc our best. Florent got a bit of it, Parker kicked some late goals.

Selection wise - Have to have a zero tolerance in any future GFs, Logan shouldn't have played. Jmac earned his spot, looking better against Port so can't really fault that.

Adams is the one that is the easy one to talk about. Yeah, maybe he'd have had an impact early, putting on some pressure on Neale, getting a few clearances. The reality is though he's been part of poor midfields this year too, in the 4 games he's had over 40% centre bounce attendance, I think he's had 11 clearances in total (going off memory from earlier discussion). Anyway, the question is who he takes midfield minutes from... Heeney, Rowy or Warner really. We can talk in hindsight, but pre game that'd be hard to justify. He likely would have replaced Fox in the 22 as well, not sure that makes us better.

The problem is, as others have mentioned, our setup seemed to be all over the shop. Zone defending was awful, played right into their hands. Heeney held well and Warner leaving it late, which is all too common for him. What I don't get is knowing clearances would be a likely issue, and leaving Adams out (which I agreed with), was following up on that by leaving Parker out of the mid rotations until it was far too late. He was having no impact forward until the game was over, so put him in there to set the tone much much earlier...

I think Sheldrick needs to be played if he's in good VFL form. Helps us with clearances as well as having a burst (moreso than the other inside mids). Warner can get out of the mids until late in quarters or the 2nd half of games tbh. Play him at half forward if we don't trade him early. Adams sure, but he hasn't been as good as we'd hoped, and if he's playing 3rd fiddle behind Heeney, Rowy, he simply needs to do better up forward (probably too late).

Campbell has shown he has some hardness and I think he's another CB mid/fwd option. Cleary's energy and effort needs to be rewarded too.

Hopefully Buller stays fit and can provide some competition to our KPFs, need to draft another.

A mature age, taller KPD wouldn't be a bad idea either. Don't care if all they can do is spoil and take some contested marks.

Off field, I probably won't cry if Horse resigns. But doubt he does and the club won't sack him. Things, including some of his "it's tough to win games of footy" and "it's not about me, it's about the team" comments this year are Hinkley-esque which is worrying.

It's difficult for us to attract staff, but at least a new mids coach or poaching an assistant who has been involved in winning flags recently (maybe someone involved in the Eagles flag, after their 2015 loss, or the Tigers run after being awful for so long... just spitballing here).

If I was naming captains for next year, I'd go with Rowy in the on-field example vein of JPK. Mills can be a VC along with Heeney or Fox tbh, even if Horse criminally has him outside our 23 still.

Anyway, look after yourselves. I felt 2022 more than yesterday tbh. Yesterday was more a numbness, "oh, look it's happening again". The fact I didn't completely trust us beforehand may have been a factor, though tried to be positive going in. Visited some good bars, catching up with a mate who lives here shortly before flying home, so all the money spent isn't a complete loss.

I'll be supporting again next year, though mostly from the comforts of my couch, being from SA. Look forward to draft discussion now, unlikely much in the way of trading.

But yeah, look if people who have invested more time, money and effort into supporting the team in Sydney or around the country than I have, need to take a step back after these GF disappointments, you won't get any judgement from me. Do whatever keeps you well. It's not life and death, but footy/Swans have been a refuge for me in some tough times, so I get it means a lot, in different ways to people.

Essay over.

Last edited:
I hope we play you in opening round.
We will smash you pansies.
How is your life going? I don’t know what you are dealing with so seriously, are you ok?

You are wasting your time with this as we are way more critical of ourselves than any of the tripe you are dishing up. Go look up the meaning of self awareness, it may help.

I thought he really showed his limitations yesterday. He was useless.
Me too, still can’t understand why he was put forward…..never has he been a decent forward.

People singing to brizzy at me umm
ok .

Im happy for brisbane fans as much as you can be for another fan base they deserve the success and their fans are pretty good imo etc Fagan seems classy etc.

I am just pissed off at my own team

People singing to brizzy at me umm
ok .

Im happy for brisbane fans as much as you can be for another fan base they deserve the success and their fans are pretty good imo etc Fagan seems classy etc.

I am just pissed off at my own team
I had an absolute peanut in front of me yesterday, was as close as I have come to reaching out and putting one on his chin, was a rare dickhead Lions supporter and had absolutely no class.

We needed an experienced head to tunnel in and win a contest, but instead persisted with Parker at FF despite the fact that at qtr time Andrews had 5 uncontested marks and all our talls were looking slow and uncompetitive

We should have parked McLean or MacDonald in the goal square from quarter time onwards and let Parker get into the contest and show a bit of ****in fight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back