Hugh Jorgen

Debutant
Apr 17, 2008
Bulleen
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
AC Milan
I’m sure that some of you will be familiar with the exploits of Captain Robert Falcon Scott and his ill-fated expedition to the South Pole in the summer of 1912.

On the return journey, the men were frost-bitten, starving and exhausted. One of their number, Captain Lawrence Oates, was lame from an old war wound and frost bite and was holding back the rest of the team. As a heroic sacrifice for the better good of the team, he uttered the famous words “I’m just going outside and may be some time” before walking out of the tent into a howling blizzard and his own inevitable demise.

The rest of the team perished anyway, but it’s the thought that counts.

Now there are some analogous circumstances for some AFL teams. Players who are holding the others back and should just do the right thing. I’m taking nominations for suitable candidates for the inaugural Bay 13 Lawry Oates Award.

My nomination goes to Fraser Gehrig. The Saints would definitely be better off if he wandered off into the snow at Mt Donna Buang and never came back.

That's Lawry Oakes. If he was on the Scott expedition, he wouldn't have died of starvation, that's for sure.

Either that or he would have eaten everyone else.

Thanks for the history lesson though Hugh. Quite informative and also brings relevance to the verse in the James Reyne song (Reckless).

Shaun McManus. Fremantle are better with 21 players

Shane O'Bree.
Collingwood supporters would agree with me

Chad Fletcher. Vegas didn't kill him, but it might aswell have considering his form

Warren Tredrea. Port need a new forward line to go with their elite young midfield and old man Tredders isn't doing anyone any favours

Tom Harley. Great captain and a good player, but when Egan returns to full fitness, Harry Taylor will have eclipsed him and is no longer required in the structure of the team. Vandenburg did a great Lawrie Oates last year as he realised he was several rungs below the rest of the team. Harley is the same and even if he gets paid on Rookie wages, he's not in Geelong's best 22

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m sure that some of you will be familiar with the exploits of Captain Robert Falcon Scott and his ill-fated expedition to the South Pole in the summer of 1912.

On the return journey, the men were frost-bitten, starving and exhausted. One of their number, Captain Lawrence Oates, was lame from an old war wound and frost bite and was holding back the rest of the team. As a heroic sacrifice for the better good of the team, he uttered the famous words “I’m just going outside and may be some time” before walking out of the tent into a howling blizzard and his own inevitable demise.

The rest of the team perished anyway, but it’s the thought that counts.

Now there are some analogous circumstances for some AFL teams. Players who are holding the others back and should just do the right thing. I’m taking nominations for suitable candidates for the inaugural Bay 13 Lawry Oates Award.

My nomination goes to Fraser Gehrig. The Saints would definitely be better off if he wandered off into the snow at Mt Donna Buang and never came back.
The 2006 retrospective award surely goes to Jason Akermanis :)

Shaun McManus. Fremantle are better with 21 players

Shane O'Bree. Collingwood supporters would agree with me

Chad Fletcher. Vegas didn't kill him, but it might aswell have considering his form

Warren Tredrea. Port need a new forward line to go with their elite young midfield and old man Tredders isn't doing anyone any favours

Tom Harley. Great captain and a good player, but when Egan returns to full fitness, Harry Taylor will have eclipsed him and is no longer required in the structure of the team. Vandenburg did a great Lawrie Oates last year as he realised he was several rungs below the rest of the team. Harley is the same and even if he gets paid on Rookie wages, he's not in Geelong's best 22

HAAA :thumbsu: Good post neville

... Players who are holding the others back and should just do the right thing. I’m taking nominations for suitable candidates for the inaugural Bay 13 Lawry Oates Award.

You read it here first on Bay 13.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bay 13 Lawry Oates Award

Remove this Banner Ad

Back