Bears and Perth 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

People forget with the bears it isnt just the 300 000 odd people on the CC, it is also the north shore and northern suburbs (hornsby, asquith, chatswood etc), all in all approx 1 million people unrepresented by rugby league currently. I would agree that the CC in itself doesnt deserve a side but that it is a huge area, yes, the Bears is a great move.

Two teams in 2013? Interesting.

Full disclosure: I am a Central Coast resident. Have been for 25 years though born a Queenslander. The Central Coast deserves their own team. As one said, don't let the 'Central Coast' fool you, the team will encompass the North Shore, Northern Suburbs of Sydney and all in between. Bluetongue Stadium is readily accessible by public transport (small walk from Gosford train station) and 90% of the Bears supporters will be at a maximum one hour from the ground, especially those who choose to drive on the retched F3.

As for Perth, I think we need a team there, is 2013 too early? Maybe, though with the Toyota Cup and the game seemingly going from strength to strength, I can see it happening and it would be a winner for the NRL.

The Perth idea is just as bad as the AFL's Western Sydney franchise.
Perth was a much, much better option than Melbourne and if it had been stuck with would've been alot more sucessful in terms of fan support IMO. Perth is a city open to new things, wheras Melbourne (and adelaide) are much more close minded. But the game had to have a presence in the second biggest city in the country, hence the reds got boned for the Storm.

^ I don't agree with your comments that Melbournians are a closed shop.
Whilst afl will always rule here, many Melbournians now also embrace soccer, and rugby league making very good inroads as will the new rugby union team.

Sporting capital of the world:thumbsu:

Sporting capital of the world that hasnt even had every major code running at once? Sydney had League Union and AFL and Soccer whilst Melbourne was still only AFL and Soccer pre-storm. Even now, before the laughing stock of the rebels comes in, Sydney supports more sides across different codes than you guys.

AFL capital of the world.

Perth was a much, much better option than Melbourne and if it had been stuck with would've been alot more sucessful in terms of fan support IMO.

Numbers don't lie. The Reds average Home Crowd dropped from 13,390 in 1995 to 8776 in their last season in 1997. 1996 was 8262. The Perth public had made up their minds. The Storm got an average of 12,717 in its first season and peaked at 14,622 in 2000, with an average of 12,902 in 1999. Year on year improvement with the Storm, not with the Reds. But of course the Reds were the better option:rolleyes:

Heck the worst season Home average for the Storm was 8,886 in 2004 which is STILL better than the Reds last two seasons. But of course the Reds were would of been the better option that only one of their Season Home average crowds would beat the Storm and that was the first season before the city of Perth made up its mind on the Reds. NRL clearly made a huge mistake there:rolleyes:

Perth is a city open to new things, wheras Melbourne (and adelaide) are much more close minded. But the game had to have a presence in the second biggest city in the country, hence the reds got boned for the Storm.

Expand on that. How is Perth more open minded? They had a Rugby League team and it lost support over the span of its 3 seasons. They have a Rugby Union side and that has lost support from season one and has since moved from Subiaco to MES because of the loss of crowd support (not to speak of the lack of the Rugby WA and WA Government's 2004 bid promise to build the force a Purpose Built Stadium, not ground share with the AFL for more than the original 1 season it promised the ARU, nor play out of Perth Glory's home ground. Sound pretty opened minded to me. Give support to get the team, support it for a season and then piss off when you see what a shit team is and therefore force it to either a) fold or b) moved to a smaller Stadium.

Yep opened minded are our friends in Perth:rolleyes:

Sporting capital of the world that hasnt even had every major code running at once? Sydney had League Union and AFL and Soccer whilst Melbourne was still only AFL and Soccer pre-storm. Even now, before the laughing stock of the rebels comes in, Sydney supports more sides across different codes than you guys.

"Pre-Storm" hahahaha that is funny. You can't even give us credit for having a Rugby League team and getting crowds to games that most of the time show up some Sydney teams. Still expect that from a bitter North Sydney fan would I'm guess blames the Storm for his beloved team no longer being in the NRL. I have no issue with you being bitter about you team no longer playing in the NRL, but don't blame the Storm, we played no part in that.

As for the Rebels we should of been in the Super 14 in 2004 instead of the Force, but they used the "we have a large expat Saffa and British community" card along with the fact they could bring a different timeslot to the table for Fox Sports. The fact we have a large expat Kiwi and British community never came into it, not the fact that we have a large Rugby Community that was ready to throw it full support behind a Super 14 team in this city (oh well we'll just do it now I guess). I guess the only good thing that came out of that bid was AAMI Park, which the Storm would never of got on its own, but once the VRU bid for a Super Rugby licence the Victorian Government promised and built a Stadium for Union, League and Soccer (like how close-minded is THAT:rolleyes:)

AFL capital of the world.

That only bit of truth you wrote in you pack of bullshit.

I would say the whole, super league thing around 96/97 voids most crowd arguements, and it's why figures at that point are largely ignored, (although for the record, Norths were i think one of two sides to average 10 000 plus in sydney for each year of the 90's).

Also, Perth had what, 3 seasons, including as mentioned the super league season. This is Melbournes 13th season and only in the last few years have they genuinely began to improve their crowds (which should hopefully spike with the new ground).

What makes me think Perth is more open? Probably the fact that they did get the Force, the ARU knew that they're the type of city where something different will suceed in terms of popular appeal. The whole vibe of Perth is different to Adelaide or Melbourne, partly due to the large number of expats but in general it feels different to the much more close minded Melbourne or Adelaide sporting landscape (Adelaide being a mini melbourne with a helluva lot less interesting stuff around).

Melbourne was no doubt a good idea, as I said you have to have a presence in the second alrgest city in the country, and they are finally starting to show some real significant improvements (though not yet in the amount of money they lose). Im very bitter about Melbournes admittance at a time where well established clubs and recent slubs alike were being killed off willy nilly, and the fact that they have News ltd involvement, who are essentially utter scum who just about destroyed the game, but that is more a personal Nth Sydney point of view, for the greater good of the game Melbourne has to be there. Im not blaming the Storm, but that entire time period leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I will have a greater like of Melbourne if and when they dont have the News involvement.

But i do think that, if a Perth side was to be readmitted, they could be very good in the long term. There seems to be a decent grass roots league culture there, even if it is small, and a lot of hard working people attempting to get the side back.

Oh and union? It's just a laughable code which is going backwards. Hasnt enough talent to strech across 4 teams yet it's entering a 5th (although from the sounds of things more like a Melbourne Barbarians). It has fallen so far behind because the style of play at the top level is shithouse, and has been for a while, a negative game, and when people known for anti-league tirades such as Peter Fitzsimons are openly criticising the game and basically saying that quality of play in rugby league is far outstripping that of Union, you know your game is in trouble.

I have respect for most codes, I have no respect for Rugby Union, they've tried to kill us for years, yet they are so stuck in their ways that they can never capture the imagination of the public like Rugby League can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would say the whole, super league thing around 96/97 voids most crowd arguements, and it's why figures at that point are largely ignored, (although for the record, Norths were i think one of two sides to average 10 000 plus in sydney for each year of the 90's).

Also, Perth had what, 3 seasons, including as mentioned the super league season. This is Melbournes 13th season and only in the last few years have they genuinely began to improve their crowds (which should hopefully spike with the new ground).

Which is why I compared the Reds only three seasons with the Storms first three. I also compared the Reds worst season with the Storm's worst season and yet the Storm worst season crowd average is better than the Reds last two seasons. Yes, you can point to the Super League period BUT you can also point to the fact that the Reds weren't success in season 1, while the Storm were in Season 1 which lead to good crowds in Season 2. I doubt the Super League War would of had the same effect in Perth that it had in Sydney and Brisbane.

What makes me think Perth is more open? Probably the fact that they did get the Force, the ARU knew that they're the type of city where something different will suceed in terms of popular appeal.

Which I pointed out was because they got because of a never delieved Union Stadium, an extra timeslot for Fox Sports to improve their TV Rights and the expat community's of South Africa and the British that was no large than the expat community's of New Zealand and the British. Facts are only one promise has been delieved upon and thats the extra timeslot because the crowds have dropped away because of the lack of success.

Lucky the Melbourne bids promise for a new Stadium was delieved and will see a benefit for the Storm, Victory, Heart and the Rebels who it was built for.

The whole vibe of Perth is different to Adelaide or Melbourne, partly due to the large number of expats but in general it feels different to the much more close minded Melbourne or Adelaide sporting landscape (Adelaide being a mini melbourne with a helluva lot less interesting stuff around).

There are more expats from Britain, Ireland, New Zealand and South Africa in Melbourne than from Perth. You telling me that the second they all moved to Melbourne that they became AFL fans and became closed minded to whatever Sporting Code they supported back home:rolleyes:

The Perth Expat Myth....

Melbourne was no doubt a good idea, as I said you have to have a presence in the second alrgest city in the country, and they are finally starting to show some real significant improvements (though not yet in the amount of money they lose). Im very bitter about Melbournes admittance at a time where well established clubs and recent slubs alike were being killed off willy nilly, and the fact that they have News ltd involvement, who are essentially utter scum who just about destroyed the game, but that is more a personal Nth Sydney point of view, for the greater good of the game Melbourne has to be there. Im not blaming the Storm, but that entire time period leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I will have a greater like of Melbourne if and when they dont have the News involvement.

Remember the Perth Reds were involved with/owned by News Limited, so why your bitter at the call to get rid of them is a bit of a wonder. But Sydney had too many teams, but at least Norths were making attempts to move to the Central Coast, pity about the timing because a) you would of been saved if you made the move and b) the Central Coast would of had a team.

But i do think that, if a Perth side was to be readmitted, they could be very good in the long term. There seems to be a decent grass roots league culture there, even if it is small, and a lot of hard working people attempting to get the side back.

I agree with that fact, work their way up. Gain the support and have a hardcore supporter base ready to go. Perth is the next major city the NRL needs to be in. Don't think I agruing against it. I also think the Bears coming back on the Central Coast would be a good move a) because the Central Coast needs a team and b) the Bears should never of been forced into that merger with Manly which was doomed to failure because of the way the Manly board set it up.

Storm will average over 20K once the new stadium opens.
Olympic Park was sub-standard.

Expansion is good.

Perth can support an NRL team.

Just need a decent stadium

Perth is a must for league. the CC is a given i would imagine, so all efforts from the NRL must be headed west. a big name signing will help the cause over there.

Perth was a much, much better option than Melbourne and if it had been stuck with would've been alot more sucessful in terms of fan support IMO. Perth is a city open to new things, wheras Melbourne (and adelaide) are much more close minded. But the game had to have a presence in the second biggest city in the country, hence the reds got boned for the Storm.

I can see where they were coming from putting the Storm in ahead of the Reds.

Melbourne has a lot more 'potential space' for fans and players compared to Perth. Keep in mind their crowds held their own during the super league period (averaged just over 10k for their 3 years) and they didn't have anywhere near the success of the storm.

However the Union honchos saw how flat out rugby league was getting 11k to a Storm game, so they wisely chose Perth, a city which regularly got over 25k at Subiaco and now sells out ME Stadium (which holds about 18k), and that's with the Force being cellar dwellers every year.

I think the ARU are dreaming if they expect that kind of support in Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bears and Perth 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back