Beau Dowler

Remove this Banner Ad

He will still go top 15, a injured Beau Dowler is ten times the player who will go at pick 15.

Pafloyul said:
Why do almost all the posters on this forum spell 'than' with an 'e'? :confused:
because no one cares!

At this stage you just hope the kid recovers to a degree in which he can perform to the necessary standard. Until more is known it'll be a gamble for all clubs. I think he'll make a good recovery and get selected in the top 30 but this may be wishful thinking. I hope he does.

the accident wasn't alcholol related what so eva!! another car hit the car dowler was in...
he will make a full recovery and the extent to which he will start trainig and everything hasn't been established yet..hopefully everyone can remain from making up rumours about him and i will keep you informed wen more news comes in...
cheers

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/10/22/1129775997599.html

Surgery ruled out for teen

PROSPECTIVE top-10 AFL draft pick Beau Dowler will not require surgery to mend the three pelvic fractures he received in a car accident early on Friday, and hopes to eventually resume his football career unimpeded.

But the 17-year-old from the Oakleigh Chargers, a passenger in the vehicle involved in the smash, will be completely immobilised for a month and may not be able to walk for up to 10 weeks.

A medico I know told me that pelvic fractures are up there with the worst you can get and there is no guarantee of a complete recovery.Apparantly it takes alot of rehab which begins with a long period of bed rest and some people are left with permanent problems like a limp for example.
We can only hope that his youth and fitness will help his recovery and he does not lose sight of his dream.

smasher said:
A medico I know told me that pelvic fractures are up there with the worst you can get and there is no guarantee of a complete recovery.Apparantly it takes alot of rehab which begins with a long period of bed rest and some people are left with permanent problems like a limp for example.
We can only hope that his youth and fitness will help his recovery and he does not lose sight of his dream.
You're right it's a risk clubs may not want to take. Each club will be getting their own medical staff to review the medical reports before making a decision and many will be scared off I suspect. Shocking luck for the guy but could have been much worse.

philhawk said:
Hmm and I think it would be fair to say that Interstate teams would be reluctant to take him now?

Mind you this just might be a blessing in disguise for West Coast if you ask me ...

He will not slip past West Coasts first pick, West Coast were extremely keen on him before his injury and Rossi will make sure he is picked up by WC, assuming he slips that far.

smasher said:
Yes, but that would be for actual fractures that require surgury, stress fractures don't actually cause any physical break in the bone, more an inflamation of the bone. If they aren't treated then they can become actual fractures as they are a weak point in the bone, but they generally heal well and it takes the impact of a car crash to put the type of forces on the pelvis required to break it anyway.

Michael Embley did a similiar thing to Dowler and he didnt play footy for 9 months, no way he will still be going top 10 now, it would be a huge risk considering Dowler isnt a ton better then Hughes or Clark.

Pick 20 wud be more suitable but maybe Bulldogs will take a punt at pick 12.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He may drop out of the top 10, but there is no way he will get past West Coast at 13.

Well, I will qualify that by saying that he will only go lower than 13 if one of the East Freo tall kids (Kennedy or Clark) are still available (highly unlikely!).

West Coast would be more than happy to wait a year (after being drafted) for Dowler to get right.

Cheers.

I dunno about that, West Coast is more likely to want a kpp who can perform straight away rather than wait a year or two, their premiership window has just opened.
A team who is rebuilding is more likely to take a punt on a kid who needs time to get back to full fitness as they are building for the future, not now.

ohh and he definately wont slip past the eagles pick at 13!! they'd be more than happy to wait ayear for him id say..
the eagles have brad smith who will play FF next year that will then free up another player in the forward line..a lot of developing would go into the likes of McDougal n Lynch and these sort of players for next year. the eagles are still a very young side and these players have been developing through the club for quite a while and i reckon that some will step up and fill KPP holes..

Is there any news on his injury and how long he will be out for?? Did anything happen to others in the car or was Dowler unlucky and caught on the wrong side of the accident??

yehhh at least 6 months..maybe longer..
i wouldn't think he'd play football next year at all..would be back to absolute full fitness by the end of 2oo6..
who knows what can happen in a year in the gym pumping up his upper body!!!
because ultimately thats what most of the clubs were thinking of doing..putting him on the weights and being prime for season 2007...
althought im sure they would of liked to of played him in a few games next year.. He is a fantastic hard-working player off the field and no doubt he will play AFL at a very high standard..
"Discipline is when no one is watching" c.judd
Sums Beau Dowler up perfectly!!
:D

Given he's now unlikely to play next year much if at all, does this drop him into the second round? or are clubs still likely to overlook it?

you do not suffer "stress fractures" in a motor vehicle accident. This is just sloppy reporting.
You suffer displaced fractures which require ORIF (open reduction and internal fixation) or sometimes external fixation, like mechano drilled into the bone through the skin to hold the bones together. Or you suffer non displaced fractures.

If the bones re not displaced (or minimally) it is treated with bed rest.

He will become very deconditioned but without knowing all the facts I would expect a full recovery.

Good luck to he kid, it sounds like he won't be around for the saints first pick.

That is complete and utter BULL ********!! The kid is a legend (great bloke), he is an awesome footballer and will be an absolute superstar of the game. Its crap that everyones sayin he'll go lower becuase of this injury. I think its crap!

Ill make a bet right now that he will still go top 5!!! Everybody quote me on this because i know it will happen no matter what is wrong with his body. If these recruiters were smart they'd realise the type of kid he is and that he would do anything to get it back to 100%. plus he has the advantage of age on his side. He WILL make a full recovery. I have a close relationship with sumone that deals with pelvic problems......

BEAU WILL BE KING OF THE AFL!!!!

DaveT said:
That is complete and utter BULL ********!! The kid is a legend (great bloke), he is an awesome footballer and will be an absolute superstar of the game. Its crap that everyones sayin he'll go lower becuase of this injury. I think its crap!

Ill make a bet right now that he will still go top 5!!! Everybody quote me on this because i know it will happen no matter what is wrong with his body. If these recruiters were smart they'd realise the type of kid he is and that he would do anything to get it back to 100%. plus he has the advantage of age on his side. He WILL make a full recovery. I have a close relationship with sumone that deals with pelvic problems......

BEAU WILL BE KING OF THE AFL!!!!

You are kidding yourself Dave!!

I will bet you any amount of money he won't go top 5!

Sounds like you've been spending too much time in Beau's bedroom champ!

GO HAWKS!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Beau Dowler

Remove this Banner Ad

Back