Ben Cousins arrested

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you might find this hard to believe but Phil, aka name change to Garlic muncher ( which happens to be a derogatory term for Italians )

Was the most vocal supporter of the drug cheats at EFC.

To this day after all the failed appeals he vigorously defends Hird, the players and any one involved in the biggest PED cover up in Australian sporting history.

It was a stitch up job by ASADA/WADA

This in itself is strange considering his total lack of empathy towards people who are struggling with drug addiction

Here is the derogatory Garlic Munchers cup ..

180713sptgreatslb3_18ujvjc-18ujvji.jpg

Ray Marinko and Brian Ciccotosto with the Garlic Munchers Cup

Seriously mate get that stick extracted.

Ben Cousins has a mental illness. Do you tell a person with any illness to just "Man up"? or a person with a disease they are a disgrace? Mental illness is particularly insidious because often it fights what treatments are available. I really wish him well, it will be a tragedy to see him slip any further.
This is where I will disagree.

Drug addiction is self inflicted. Yes there may be underlying causes of why the person took the drugs in the 1st place but there are strategies in place to deal with the whys. Had a bad day? Take a pill. Wanting to ''smash it'' because you have spent 3 weeks busting a gut on the training track? Have a session. Recall the doco, Ben said he used drugs as a reward. To me that isn't a mental illness.

Drug addiction is self inflicted. Yes there may be underlying causes of why the person took the drugs in the 1st place but there are strategies in place to deal with the whys. Had a bad day? Take a pill. Wanting to ''smash it'' because you have spent 3 weeks busting a gut on the training track? Have a session. Recall the doco, Ben said he used drugs as a reward. To me that isn't a mental illness.
Yeah agreed. Find it weird that people just treat drug addiction as a mental illness like depression or bipolar.

I have a great job and loving friends and family, but doing Coke is fun as **** so I might get on it every weekend until I develop a habit, no biggie though as I'll be mentally ill and everyone will support me :)

Isn't he on a VRO?

And isn't violence against women a major social crime we're trying to stamp out?

He is your right. Doesnt mean he has physically assualted anyone. Just a threat is enough to get one. No excuse but a decade of gear use will twist u up hard. Throw your own kids in there and people will say stupid things every day. Violence against anyone isnt okay. Im sick of this woman only narrative. Alot more men are killed or injured by violence every year then women in almost every western country. Does anyone speak up for male victims who out number female victims 2 to 1 (aust) or almost 4 to 1 (usa) death injury to violence? Nah they men vs men mainly, so its okay. That mentality is holding back improvements for both genders.

He is your right. Doesnt mean he has physically assualted anyone. Just a threat is enough to get one. No excuse but a decade of gear use will twist u up hard. Throw your own kids in there and people will say stupid things every day. Violence against anyone isnt okay. Im sick of this woman only narrative. Alot more men are killed or injured by violence every year then women in almost every western country. Does anyone speak up for male victims who out number female victims 2 to 1 (aust) or almost 4 to 1 (usa) death injury to violence? Nah they men vs men mainly, so its okay. That mentality is holding back improvements for both genders.

I have it via people from EFFC that they are not to pick him up etc as he has shown violent tendencies- that is via colts players parents

Hey guys! I have an opinion! Ya wanna hear it? Ok. It's sad.

I have it via people from EFFC that they are not to pick him up etc as he has shown violent tendencies- that is via colts players parents

Well thats pretty sad an stupid if true.... it all starts and end with the drugs one day he may realise this but who knows. Even in the face of overwhelming negatives still not really trying to get off crazy shit. Mind bending stuff.

You could say any addiction is self inflicted I.e. Gambling, alcohol, cigarettes. It is a weakness in a person's mental state so is a mental illness. Some people can kick addictions and lead healthy lives other struggle and end up either homeless, dead, ostracized and ridiculed. So how many chances do we give a person and who gets to decide how many? Let's say Ben's had 10 chances to deal with his addiction and hasn't done it, so that's it we just wipe our hands and let him die?

You have to try and understand what addiction is. It's your mental state constantly seeking out a destructive behavior. It's not because its a conscious choice it's a nagging feeling that you have to do it. And your brain justifies it with bargains like I'll train really hard then I'll deserve it. The worst part of drug or alcohol addiction is it destroys you mental faculties making it even harder to recover from.

Chicken and egg mentality really

Do the drugs the person tackes cause a mental illness to be identified or does the mental illness cause a person to have a hormonal imbalance that causes the need to take drugs and then become addicted?

Either way, i think the AFL have a responsablity to help and they should help anyone from Ben Cousins to a rookie listed player who doesn't play a game. Thats is their well being and player wellness responsablity.

Well thats pretty sad an stupid if true.... it all starts and end with the drugs one day he may realise this but who knows. Even in the face of overwhelming negatives still not really trying to get off crazy shit. Mind bending stuff.

I think the real problem is Ben has never done it tough, good school, good money, good family, always the center of attention and adulation.

Then hanging around with shady characters from around Perth because of his fame who had done it tough and the way out for them from a pretty shitty life and lack of education is criminal activities.

I think he is a naive selfish spoiled kid who has never grown up, i am not blaming his family because all a loving family does is try and give their best for their kids, which is exactly what they did.

He does not need help from anybody else, he needs to do this himself, he has had enough crutches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Addicts have a choice? by definition that is one of the dumbest comments ever.

Unfortunately you don't have a choice you're just stuck being stupid.

Everyone has a choice. Thats the bottom line. Fair point about the diabetes but smashing meth every friday to monday is gonna screw you up quicker than alcohol and >>>>>> shit food.

You could say any addiction is self inflicted I.e. Gambling, alcohol, cigarettes. It is a weakness in a person's mental state so is a mental illness. Some people can kick addictions and lead healthy lives other struggle and end up either homeless, dead, ostracized and ridiculed. So how many chances do we give a person and who gets to decide how many? Let's say Ben's had 10 chances to deal with his addiction and hasn't done it, so that's it we just wipe our hands and let him die?

You have to try and understand what addiction is. It's your mental state constantly seeking out a destructive behavior. It's not because its a conscious choice it's a nagging feeling that you have to do it. And your brain justifies it with bargains like I'll train really hard then I'll deserve it. The worst part of drug or alcohol addiction is it destroys you mental faculties making it even harder to recover from.
I am an alcoholic. So I do understand what addiction is. I have food addictions, I have drinking addictions, I have gambling addictions, I have internet addictions. In no way would I ever compare myself to those who suffer depression and schizophrenia and other severe cases of mental illness on a day in day out basis.

In each of my addictions I had a choice. I made a choice to continue. There were times I would promise myself I would have a week off , a month off. It was only when I understood what was driving my addictions that I could truly control them. And so I say it is Bens choice to stop. Nobody elses and until he sees that within himself then he wont overcome his addictions.

But lets agree to disagree. :)

Cousins wasn't an addict when he made the choice to start taking drugs.

He took the drugs because he loves the wild side of life.

I have little sympathy for a man who has been handed many more opportunities in life than 99% of the population.

He's merely a bad egg who could kick a football very well.

Its clearly gotten to a point that he doesn't have much time left if there isn't a serious and practical intervention. It sounds like he is running out of friends, and I'm glad the AFL has decided to step in and fund it. If this doesn't work, I think its implied that there won't be anywhere to turn but truly up or permanently down.

Also a bit sad how many people stick the boot in. He was a dickhead, and that's why he thought he was invincible. He may still be a dickhead, I don't know. Point stands that the man has kids, real, living, breathing kids who deserve the chance to have a healthy dad. Regardless of whether he deserves to have them.

When they finally extract that stick from your arse, it will a operation of major proportions.

WAFL have a Garlic munchers cup every year. .... http://www.communitynews.com.au/wanneroo-times/sport/a-european-flavour/

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/18075180/garlic-munchers-still-relished-in-wafl/

In fact if followed football you would be aware that both Freo WAFL clubs were forerunners to the one you claim to barrack, one of them plays in the Garlic Munchers cup, the one that you claim is derogatory

Derogatory term for Italians - yer about 30 years you goose. :rolleyes:

I know Phil, I just love you biting so hard every time someone mentions it

You never fail to deliver :D:thumbsu:

I was an addict for most of my teens and twenties. It's a choice to take drugs
Such a simple minded response, good for you, we all stand and applaud how you were able to beat your addiction and how much of better person you are than Ben Cousins.

Honestly the lack of empathy or understanding from people is just frightening.

Such a simple minded response, good for you, we all stand and applaud how you were able to beat your addiction and how much of better person you are than Ben Cousins.

Kids with cancer deserve empathy. Not people who make bad choices in life

PS. It was you that said I was a better person than Ben Cousins, not me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back