Ben Jarman.

Remove this Banner Ad

From memory, Bryce Gibbs should have been a Crow but for a rule change?

Yeah, a rule change or the Crows not quite working their shit out properly -

Basically his old man played 250+ games for Glenelg, but only 190 odd before the Crows started in 1991. I think there was some confusion aswell with state games being added to his tally.

From what I've gathered from reading on the Crows board (I wasn't around here back then), someone posted about this anomaly on bigfooty, and then Rucci went and told the AFL (? something like that anyway) -

I remember seeing Dunstall asked about who was a better kick, Suckling or Jarman. His response was something like "Jarman by so much, it isn't funny."

Someone asked him who was the best kick at hawthorn in his time. He said it was a split between two: jars on his right foot and jars on his left foot.

Dunstall couldn't split them. Third place was far behind these two.

Someone asked him who was the best kick at hawthorn in his time. He said it was a split between two: jars on his right foot and jars on his left foot.

Dunstall couldn't split them. Third place was far behind these two.

Just out of interest, did he mention who came in at number three?

Maybe Pritchard? Bucky?

Maybe Pritchard? Bucky?

Na, said third was distant. Added that when he got that little break on a lead and saw that jars had it he offen had a little smile. When he realized a few others had it, he thought, here we go, where's this going.

Na, said third was distant. Added that when he got that little break on a lead and saw that jars had it he offen had a little smile. When he realized a few others had it, he thought, here we go, where's this going.

I still remember a passage of play (cant remember the opposition or the year) where Jars had the ball and he crossed the fifty line to be in range to have a shot, but he opted to screw a pass sideways on 90 degree angle and hit the leading Dunstall perfectly on the chest.

I remember thinking wow this guy is seriously good.

Maybe Pritchard? Bucky?

I think you're right when you nominated Pritchard. I'm sure I've read elsewhere that Pritchard is regarded by many at the club as being a very underrated wingman and that Dunstall used to enjoy leading out to Pritch's drilled passes.

Bump... Ben delisted by the Crows... sounds like we made the right choice not to bid for him.

Interesting his Crows bio is:

One of only four Crows to play every SANFL game, Jarman finished fourth in Adelaide’s State League Club Champion count after a strong second half of the season. The skilful small forward was involved in more scores for Adelaide’s State League team than any other player including 13 goals of his own. He also applied good pressure, averaging three tackles per game. Jarman saved arguably his best performance of the season until the last round, collecting a game-high 29 disposals, six clearances and seven marks playing in the midfield against South Adelaide.

The Crows SANFL side is a complete shemozzle given the injuries to the squad this season - the top ups they get given access to are not league standard at all - think it would have been difficult to play in that side all season - would surely enjoy playing back at North Adelaide way more

Darren was perceived lazy and was a late starter in the big league.

I hope we have a look at Ben. He has skill and flair and can kick a goal.

Worth a punt for a few years.

Darren was perceived lazy and was a late starter in the big league.

I hope we have a look at Ben. He has skill and flair and can kick a goal.

Worth a punt for a few years.

You are describing Darren. Ben doesn't kick that many goals. Kicked 14 goals in 18 games this year. Kicked 12 goals in 18 games in 2017. Hardly anything worth getting too excited about.

Lazy and slow.

Not even worth a rookie spot, as shown by our reluctance to bid on him initially.

Crows only committed to him as a PR exercise given the amount of uproar they would have copped if they didn't take the first ever F/S they had access to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still remember a passage of play (cant remember the opposition or the year) where Jars had the ball and he crossed the fifty line to be in range to have a shot, but he opted to screw a pass sideways on 90 degree angle and hit the leading Dunstall perfectly on the chest.

Jarman's talent was obscene. Easily in the top 2-3 for talent I have seen at Hawthorn, the bloke was outrageous.

Jarman's talent was obscene. Easily in the top 2-3 for talent I have seen at Hawthorn, the bloke was outrageous.
The thing with Jars for me, and why I think he's No.1 of all time, is he could do it both sides, on the run - and I think this is the most important aspect to my reasoning - which made his entries into F50 so much more difficult to defend. The 50m bullet passes, across the body into space, the grass cutters to a diving forward, he had such amazing ball control.
Once Piggy had a metre on his opponent, you knew he'd do the rest. If only Jars had the fitness to do it more often, evidenced by Adelaide's decision to play him much more F50 than mid for his years over there.
I haven't seen any of Ben but reading here in the lead-up to his draft year, he didn't sound like much like his dad from the guys posting out of Adelaide.

The thing with Jars for me, and why I think he's No.1 of all time, is he could do it both sides, on the run - and I think this is the most important aspect to my reasoning - which made his entries into F50 so much more difficult to defend. The 50m bullet passes, across the body into space, the grass cutters to a diving forward, he had such amazing ball control.
Once Piggy had a metre on his opponent, you knew he'd do the rest. If only Jars had the fitness to do it more often, evidenced by Adelaide's decision to play him much more F50 than mid for his years over there.
I haven't seen any of Ben but reading here in the lead-up to his draft year, he didn't sound like much like his dad from the guys posting out of Adelaide.
My favourite Jarman moment was at Waverley in 92 - he did this brilliant blind turn - and there was nobody there to evade!

I don’t put Jarman so high, despite his talent.

My preference is the great players in big moments and particularly in Grand Finals. Jarman played in only one for us and spent most of the game on the pine.

Incredible skills, though.

I don’t put Jarman so high, despite his talent.

My preference is the great players in big moments and particularly in Grand Finals. Jarman played in only one for us and spent most of the game on the pine.

Incredible skills, though.
Exactly - as a Hawk, he didn't do it when it was really needed in comparison to some others. But, for skill, he is top 2-3.

I recall this being my most vivid memory of his ability. Amazing how he was able to spot a player at ground level running at speed and delivering with such precision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben Jarman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back