List Mgmt. Ben King

Remove this Banner Ad

He isn’t and won’t be a UFA.

he will be an RFA

Free agent? He can only be a restricted or unrestricted free agent if he's been on the list for more than 7 years (IIRC). Next year he will have been on the list for 4 years.

He could be a DFA if he forced them to delist him, but only if they didn't offer him a contract, which is clearly not the case.

Free agent? He can only be a restricted or unrestricted free agent if he's been on the list for more than 7 years (IIRC). Next year he will have been on the list for 4 years.

He could be a DFA if he forced them to delist him, but only if they didn't offer him a contract, which is clearly not the case.
Which still means your going to the table with the Suns aren’t you?

They throw the baby out with the bath water. Especially Tony Cochrane. It would have been better for us if we just don’t talk about Ben in public.
Not really, this isn’t going down with a well played handshake.

Assuming Ben doesn’t extend he will be under extreme pressure and the saints will need to reassure him that we’ll get a deal done. So they’ll be filthy as we would be and it will be the two first round pick routine with tinkering at the edges.

What would make things really interesting is if he said I want out at the end of 2021 or his development stalls. Gotta love GC acting surprised, just wait till the Adelaide teams and others come for their young talent.

With it seemingly getting easier for players to name a destination and get there maybe clubs should do a little more work on who is a high flight risk and who dreams of warm sand and surf etc. Some people were upset with Archie Perkins for telling the truth, I liked his honesty and thought he had every right to express his preference.

Maybe you should have twelve months to sign or trade a first round pick before he goes back into the draft. The payoff could be that you get four years on the first contract, three for second round picks and the rest as is. I don’t have any sympathy for the expansion teams we’ve one premiership and people laugh but in my lifetime the great power collingwood have won two. GC and others seem to think you hit a few drafts and pick up the silverware, welcome to the real world.

Some people were upset with Archie Perkins for telling the truth, I liked his honesty and thought he had every right to express his preference.
I disagree. Playing football isn't a god given right, and if they're not willing to be picked up by any AFL team they don't deserve to be drafted. It is a national competition after all.
Entering the draft with restrictions on where you want to go makes a mockery of the whole thing.

Gold Coast:

Not surprised Gold Coast are cranky. We would be as well if the boot was on the other footy. But it’s now certain that ‘grumbles’ Cochrane will play the victim card. Nothing surer.

I was intrigued Finnis made the remark. It sounded like hubris, but it was unlike him to do that. My initial assumption was that Ben King had a clause in his contract that allowed him an early trade to the club of his choice. If not, the whole thing got a lot tougher.

If Ben wants to get to the Saints then he may have to tell Gold Coast he wants to come home and deal with all the pressure they will heap on him. They won’t do him any favours. This is where his manager earns his keep.

I disagree. Playing football isn't a god given right, and if they're not willing to be picked up by any AFL team they don't deserve to be drafted. It is a national competition after all.
Entering the draft with restrictions on where you want to go makes a mockery of the whole thing.
Yep, I work with a member of Caleb Serong's family, reckon they were happy he packed up and moved across to Fremantle? They were just stoked he was picked up to follow his dream at all.

Not surprised Gold Coast are cranky. We would be as well if the boot was on the other footy. But it’s now certain that ‘grumbles’ Cochrane will play the victim card. Nothing surer.

I was intrigued Finnis made the remark. It sounded like hubris, but it was unlike him to do that. My initial assumption was that Ben King had a clause in his contract that allowed him an early trade to the club of his choice. If not, the whole thing got a lot tougher.

If Ben wants to get to the Saints then he may have to tell Gold Coast he wants to come home and deal with all the pressure they will heap on him. They won’t do him any favours. This is where his manager earns his keep.

tbh i'd love them to take the Jack Martin approach with Ben King, because Finnis hurt their pride.

let them get super angry! let them make a huge statement and not trade him!

Did he say he wouldn’t go?

My memory is that it was reported he expressed his preference to stay in Melbourne, that’s fair and reasonable imo.

These are 18 year old kids who like it or not do have choices, they can play the minimum contract and ask for a trade or take other action as they see fit.

I would also point out the Perkins is the exception generally players seem happy enough to give it their best wherever they’re drafted.

As to it being a national competition I couldn’t care less and I’m sure many of my friends feel the same way, I wouldn’t miss a beat if Sydney, gws and gc folded tomorrow. I just don’t give a rats arse about the afl‘s missonary work in the non football states. Imo it’s diluted the quality of the competition and the only thing they’re interested in is money and bragging rights. While I know AFL is gaining some ground in SE QLD don’t they rate just over 30,000 a game in NSW.

Aussie rules is a very entertaining local code and that’s it, talk of taking it to the world is garbage.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am assuming his first three years were front ended.
Look his body is gone, he should do the right thing and retire.

Agree.
Especially if he’s been paid the majority as you suggest, which would obviously have made sense at the time,
He’s done pretty well out of the deal (playing about 10 games)
and now he’s pretty well done.

Us!

they let Martin walk to Carlton for nothing. all Carlton had to do was manipulate his contract for the PSD.
I think it helps every club with cap space who needs a tall forward that picks before us.

so North Hawthorn Essendon etc.

if he does want to come home whether it’s this trade period or next. Just get it done.

Did he say he wouldn’t go?

My memory is that it was reported he expressed his preference to stay in Melbourne, that’s fair and reasonable imo.

These are 18 year old kids who like it or not do have choices, they can play the minimum contract and ask for a trade or take other action as they see fit.

I would also point out the Perkins is the exception generally players seem happy enough to give it their best wherever they’re drafted.

As to it being a national competition I couldn’t care less and I’m sure many of my friends feel the same way, I wouldn’t miss a beat if Sydney, gws and gc folded tomorrow. I just don’t give a rats arse about the afl‘s missonary work in the non football states. Imo it’s diluted the quality of the competition and the only thing they’re interested in is money and bragging rights. While I know AFL is gaining some ground in SE QLD don’t they rate just over 30,000 a game in NSW.

Aussie rules is a very entertaining local code and that’s it, talk of taking it to the world is garbage.
If someone offered you 100-200k a year to live it up in Sydney or on the Gold Coast when you were 18 and all you had to do was hit the weights and run every day, I don’t think you would mind.

fair enough if they go interstate and decide they want to come home. But to game the system is a pretty shitty thing.

I think it helps every club with cap space who needs a tall forward that picks before us.

so North Hawthorn Essendon etc.

if he does want to come home whether it’s this trade period or next. Just get it done.

Correct. 100%.

It’s also not good for Ben. Or Max. Just get it done.

Tom Morris.

Jack Billings: I think much depends on what the Saints offer him (do they low ball him to try to get him to move on?) and whether he wants a fresh start. His best mate Luke McDonald is at North Melbourne for the next five years. Does he go there? Not sure Essendon are as keen as they used to be.

Ben King: As an out of contract player (in 2022) the Suns would have less bargaining power. They (St Kilda) will surely at least ask the question this year. Suns should flat bat it... But who knows?

Suns already got extra years out of Ben due to the extremely generous assistance from the AFL. Cochrane certainly didn’t bitch and moan then.
If they’re not able to persuade him to stay there longer, too bad. Many players have requested to return home.
Just talking about Cerra wanting to come home on the news right now.
They had the chance to draft both the Kings - too bad, so sad.

Suns already got extra years out of Ben due to the extremely generous assistance from the AFL. Cochrane certainly didn’t b*tch and moan then.
If they’re not able to persuade him to stay there longer, too bad. Many players have requested to return home.

That’s right. Gold Coast should’ve drafted both the Kings. They had the chance. Nobody to blame but themselves.

It was idiotic at the time, considering player retention was their biggest problem. Now it is clearly a case of terrible drafting.

Suns already got extra years out of Ben due to the extremely generous assistance from the AFL. Cochrane certainly didn’t b*tch and moan then.
They are real CnUts up at the Suns.
Behind the scenes king will ask to leave. We get to the table and the Suns will open up with something daft like 3 top 10 picks and dibs on any king Father sons.

it just wasn’t needed. Let it play out behind the scenes. Let the Suns season fizzle and it would help our situation.

Tom Morris.

Jack Billings: I think much depends on what the Saints offer him (do they low ball him to try to get him to move on?) and whether he wants a fresh start. His best mate Luke McDonald is at North Melbourne for the next five years. Does he go there? Not sure Essendon are as keen as they used to be.

Ben King: As an out of contract player (in 2022) the Suns would have less bargaining power. They (St Kilda) will surely at least ask the question this year. Suns should flat bat it... But who knows?

I don’t care how much North offer him, if he chooses to go there knowing where they are sitting right now, with 5 years left of his career, I’d be seriously shocked. The Bombers are another story.

If someone offered you 100-200k a year to live it up in Sydney or on the Gold Coast when you were 18 and all you had to do was hit the weights and run every day, I don’t think you would mind.

fair enough if they go interstate and decide they want to come home. But to game the system is a pretty shitty thing.
How is it gaming the system stav all he said was he’d prefer to stay in Victoria.

It’s not as thought any of these kids are sure things just choose another kid from the same bracket. Surely we‘re all different and have our own wants and needs in life. I see it as refreshingly honest and he’s probably saved an interstate side two years of wasted development and angst.

Even though occasionally there’s a high profile player drafted in the NFL that refuses to sign ultimately they get to where they want to go and life moves on. Eli Manning was a classic example he was drafted by the chargers and traded to the giants. We need more mechanisms like in draft trading to give players and teams the best outcome for both.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back