Ben McEvoy

Remove this Banner Ad

anzac

Cancelled
Jan 29, 2007
avenel
AFL Club
Essendon
I watched the Bushies play last year a couple of times.
On the ocassions I have seen them play, one game in particular, Ben McEvoy took 13 marks and when rested down FWD kicked 7 goals from seven shots, some from out side 50.
Touted as the 2nd best big man in the TAC behind Kruezer, how is it that this kid is not getting game time at St Kilda.??

Blokes that size that move like that kid and can mark and kick the football like he does do not fall off trees.

Does any one involved with the saints know why they are not bloody playing this bloke.??

At a guess I'd say the reason is that he does not yet have the body of an AFL ruckman. Physically a more mature ruckman would completely dominate him which could be bad for his development. Then there is the fact that the King and Gardiner combo has actually been quite successful (despite the constant bagging about recycled players), I don't know which one you'd drop for McEvoy. I was shocked he didn't get a game when King withdrew though, but if King is still out next week expect McEvoy in for Ferguson or Gwilt. In conclusion I think we should be playing him as a third tall forward option who does some relief rucking, but dropping King or Gardiner for him would be nothing short of tanking.

Why would you have him as an emergency for the Brisbane game, then send him up there to watch, then have him miss a game with the bye, and then not have him as an emergency for the next game? Unless he is injured (did he play for Casey) that is the most f-ing stupid decision Ross Lyon has made. Not having cover for King completely rooted our forward lien structure, and when Kosi got injured our chances of exploiting the Dogs for height (our big advantage in past games) was gone. Stupid is as stupid does.

Why would you have him as an emergency for the Brisbane game, then send him up there to watch, then have him miss a game with the bye, and then not have him as an emergency for the next game? Unless he is injured (did he play for Casey) that is the most f-ing stupid decision Ross Lyon has made. Not having cover for King completely rooted our forward lien structure, and when Kosi got injured our chances of exploiting the Dogs for height (our big advantage in past games) was gone. Stupid is as stupid does.

My thoughts exactly, Does Ross know the team is meant to be SELECTED, he seems to think it is just a matter of giving everyone a turn on the list. What was he doing without McEvoy and with Fiora listed again?

At a guess I'd say the reason is that he does not yet have the body of an AFL ruckman. Physically a more mature ruckman would completely dominate him which could be bad for his development. Then there is the fact that the King and Gardiner combo has actually been quite successful (despite the constant bagging about recycled players), I don't know which one you'd drop for McEvoy. I was shocked he didn't get a game when King withdrew though, but if King is still out next week expect McEvoy in for Ferguson or Gwilt. In conclusion I think we should be playing him as a third tall forward option who does some relief rucking, but dropping King or Gardiner for him would be nothing short of tanking.

Mate have played and coached in the bush for over 20 yrs.
If they didn't want to wreck is development as a ruckman I can understand as you stated, but the way they are travelling at the moment surley they could play him out of a FWD pocket.
I to seen him play one game at Seymours Kings Park last year, a game in which Kruezer also played, McEvoy went FWD that day and kicked 6 while resting down FWD. Very very agile for his size and a lovely accurate kick of the football, was a stand out that day.

If they didn't want to wreck is development as a ruckman I can understand as you stated, but the way they are travelling at the moment surley they could play him out of a FWD pocket.
I to seen him play one game at Seymours Kings Park last year, a game in which Kruezer also played, McEvoy went FWD that day and kicked 6 while resting down FWD. Very very agile for his size and a lovely accurate kick of the football, was a stand out that day.

Thanks for the info mate. We need some good news.......

Hopefully he can remain a lovely accurate kick of the football because in the last few years, some in the last few months, a hell of a lot of our players have gone backwards - think Roo, Milne, Kosi, Gram...

Yeah I've heard he does great work as a forward. I'd definitely love to see him in the team up as a third tall option even if it does mean having 3 ruckmen in the team.

Yeah I've heard he does great work as a forward. I'd definitely love to see him in the team up as a third tall option even if it does mean having 3 ruckmen in the team.

Your only a ruckman if you are playing in the ruck. In this day and age we can't afford rucks who stroll up every time there is a stoppage. They have to be able to play at AFL level in between the stoppages, and it is good to hear that McEvoy may have the goods.
Now we need to wait for the unfathomable selection process to select him, instead of Fiora or Gwilt.

That's a bold statement.

There were a lot of BOLD statements in this thread. :(

That is the end because I'll delete all of the posts if you both keep going.

I said earlier in the year that I see no reason to play McEvoy at this stage no matter how well he's playing for Casey because long term we see him as a ruckman so we're better off letting him develop there than as a key forward in the AFL.

Now I think we've just to bite the bullet and play him. Let's play in the forward line and give him the occassional run in the ruck to let him see what it's all about.

I know I've changed my tune but I think we can get still get something out of this season by giving our young players a chance to prove themselves. And who knows, maybe their enthusiasm and spark might rub off on a few of the more senior players.

That is the end because I'll delete all of the posts if you both keep going.

I said earlier in the year that I see no reason to play McEvoy at this stage no matter how well he's playing for Casey because long term we see him as a ruckman so we're better off letting him develop there than as a key forward in the AFL.

Now I think we've just to bite the bullet and play him. Let's play in the forward line and give him the occassional run in the ruck to let him see what it's all about.

I know I've changed my tune but I think we can get still get something out of this season by giving our young players a chance to prove themselves. And who knows, maybe their enthusiasm and spark might rub off on a few of the more senior players.

Totally agree - we had higher hopes earlier in the year, but if there is a withdrawal of King or Gardiner then Macca should now play. He is mobile and Cox-like at his feet, but has some way to go with the bash and crash stuff.

Saw McEvoy play today on the TV for the first time and to be honest he looked a long way from being AFL standard.

Was today one of his poorer games, or is that just where is he at this stage of development.

I know we're all busting for him to come on and make his mark, but are we expecting too much, too early ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw McEvoy play today on the TV for the first time and to be honest he looked a long way from being AFL standard.

Was today one of his poorer games, or is that just where is he at this stage of development.

I know we're all busting for him to come on and make his mark, but are we expecting too much, too early ?
Though he was ok today ,do agree i think he is not quite there yet ,plenty of upside with him but good hands very good kick for big man.IMO

Looked mobile and showed good skills again today, but got smashed in ruck contests where Jamar was dominant. Would expect him to be a better proposition next year, and seems he got made emergency a few times an an "encouragement award".

Interesting statistic in the Herald Sun article on Dal Santo:

He will become only the ninth player in AFL history to play in the same team as another player - in this case Robert Harvey - that was playing AFL before he was born.

What a way to start a career, being mentioned in one sentence with one of the greatest of all times before the very first AFL game.

I can't wait to see him, even if against those Freo giants. But I'd expect him to play a bit up forward (as he did for most of the game for Casey last weekend). He looked very promising for Casey, quick, mobile and sharp from waht I have seen of him. Bodywise he appears bigger than Kreuzer who has almost established himself on AFL level already, acknowledging that he won his Rising Star nomination for his efforts as a forward against Port Adelaide.

Fremantle Set To Pressure McEvoy

FREMANTLE coach Mark Harvey has set the scene for a torrid physical workout of St Kilda debutant Ben McEvoy when his side meets the Saints in Friday night’s showdown at Telstra Dome.

With new-found confidence after belting North Melbourne last week, Fremantle believes the ruck might be its best chance to “exploit” an under-pressure St Kilda which is battling to stay in touch with the top eight.

Saints coach Ross Lyon has already indicated that McEvoy, 18, will play his first AFL match against Fremantle on Friday night.

With Michael Gardiner injured and Justin Koschitzke doubtful, McEvoy is likely to help teammate Steven King counter Fremantle tall timber Aaron Sandilands and Robert Warnock.

And Harvey suggested his team, which is known to possess several players that thrive when the contest gets willing, might test the youngster’s physical resilience.

“He’ll know he plays his first game,” Harvey replied when asked if McEvoy could be in for a tough opening night.

http://afl.com.au/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsid=61773

Mark Harvey = Dead Set Tool

Mark "We're Dangerous" Harvey

I'm still laughing Harvey - you are dangerous to the human race if you breed.

Well done Macca - some real nice hands, not a bad header to a teammate :)D), and a couple of smart decisions.

I thought you'd be ready next year, but you put your hand up when needed tonight.

He has a great set of hands, and a good kick for goal (bearing in mind his two shots were from 50). It'll be interesting to see how he goes aganst a ruckman he has a chance of beating.

He has a great set of hands, and a good kick for goal (bearing in mind his two shots were from 50). It'll be interesting to see how he goes aganst a ruckman he has a chance of beating.

Yeah, the depth on his kicks was excellent.

Solid debut - too bad the kick in the first did not bend just a little bit more... Had a tough time against that Sandilands giant, but moved well around the ground, took some phantastic marks and has the confidence to take a kick for goal.

I heard an interview on MMM with him on the way home - is he really just 18 years old ? He seemed very mature and eloquent with a few good funny lines. Even Garry Lyon liked him (and he usually loves bashing us). Brayshaw (?) said that he talks better than his coach...

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben McEvoy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back