Ben McKinley

Remove this Banner Ad

True, but when it DID get near him he dropped it !:(
Yeah. The whole side was off... Give him another week and if he is still average / his shoulder is sore and put him in for surgery. I'd rather the problem is fixed now so he can have a full preseason (if we can keep his services) and build up for next year. He may also be having some teething problems working with all our new forwards (Hunter / Lecca) so that is something we need to work on.

Has only played 10 games, still needs to work on certain aspects of his game, but has plenty of time to do so. Hopefully he stays at WC, don't want to see him go back to Victoria.

How so?

Like Kennedy I mean

Kennedy is the first to turn up at training and last to leave. McKinley has never put the hard yards in and it shows. Hes not exactly the fittest bloke. In reality he should be playing on a wing aswell as a forward pocket but he isnt fit enough to do so.

His value is at its highest. I wouldnt be too plussed if he stays or goes.

IMO he is the number one player we should be shopping around at seasons finish.

He would garner some serious bidding from a few Melbourne sides and this would drive his price further forward.

He could even command a late teens pick or a trade for a classy runner like Jetta.

I personally see him as David Haynes Mk II. A handy forward but not quite capable of being super classy.

We have Lynch, Hansen, Hunter (elders who wouldn't command much in trade) to fill the void short term (success is questionable here) whilst the next batch of superstars in Kennedy, Notte, Brown work on their game. That's 6 KPP options for the next 5 years at least, more than enough.

IMO he is the number one player we should be shopping around at seasons finish.

He would garner some serious bidding from a few Melbourne sides and this would drive his price further forward.

He could even command a late teens pick or a trade for a classy runner like Jetta.

I personally see him as David Haynes Mk II. A handy forward but not quite capable of being super classy.

We have Lynch, Hansen, Hunter (elders who wouldn't command much in trade) to fill the void short term (success is questionable here) whilst the next batch of superstars in Kennedy, Notte, Brown work on their game. That's 6 KPP options for the next 5 years at least, more than enough.

You raise some really good points. I actually think he could fit quite well into our forward line in a pocket if he changed his game style slightly and played a more of a second fiddle role. But if we could get a decent pick or upgrade one we should be open to it.

What do u think he's worth on the market?

Mckinley had a couple of weak efforts against the cats. One in particular he was leading out and had he sprinted he could have marked the ball. Instead he pulled up, waited for the ball to bounce, and the cats defender closed the gap and knocked the ball away.

why the hell are we talking about trading mckinley??? One of our best young players, who leads the goal kicking for us this year, but has been hit with injuries and a bit of poor form recently. Get off his back. It is far too early to judge him yet. Some people need to get a clue.

I would be very disappointed if we traded Ben or he decided to return to Victoria next year. I believe he has a bright future. I may be biased as I coached against him when he was 16 playing for Yarrambat in the DVL. Then I saw a lot of his games for the Northern Knights where he kicked a shit load of goals playing out of a forward pocket / FF. He produced similar when playing for vic metro something like 14 goals in three games. The form that we saw at the start of the year was most encouraging.

Embers why do you say he is not a decent bloke.:confused: As a junior he was always a popular clubman. I happen to know very well some of his former team mates from Vic metro and they speak highly of him. So it surprises me to hear your comments.

why the hell are we talking about trading mckinley??? One of our best young players, who leads the goal kicking for us this year, but has been hit with injuries and a bit of poor form recently. Get off his back. It is far too early to judge him yet. Some people need to get a clue.
I don't know if people have no clue, but they certainly need to wait till the end of the year until the pass judgement. If we could get a pick of 10-20 for him in this draft, I would probably take that on the info we have right now I think.

Ben Mckinley is a star of the future and an important part of our club going forward. For many years we have been criticised for our lack of forward options. With Ben, Josh and Lecca in the side and maybe the drafting of Yarran or Jetta we will have a lot of options for our midfielders to kick to. As someone said rumours are just that rumours until they are proven. I believe he'll stay as he wouldn't have accepted a one year deal from us last year if he wasn't serious about staying put. Some will say he had no choice because he was a unproven player, but he did have one and we all know what he chose. Myself and a few fellow cheer squad members have been lucky enough to talk to him at games and training over here and he is a very nice guy. I'm looking forward to this miserable season ending and people like Ben and hopefully Badger being offered contracts,signing them and moving on to a brighter future for the club.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben McKinley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back