Bendigo 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Bendigo squad for 2012

AFL aligned VFL sides are not picked on form - you know as well as i know that a large chunk of selection is based on development when it comes to AFL aligned teams which Bendigo is.

McVeigh is massively over-rated now - too slow for midfield and behind several in seniors now. He's a chance for a small defenders role in AFL but I have Hibberd just ahead of him. Hibberd is that little bit quicker so just gets the nod but certainly not much in it.

Slattery is terrible in the midfield. He is average as a stopper but will inevitably get games due to injuries etc. I don't think anyones naive enough to suggest we'll go through a season without many. Is Slattery a good VFL player? Probably is but that doesn't help the AFL team - developing guys like Long/Browne etc who can be better than just good VFL players (like Slattery) is more important for Essendon long term.

I think McVeigh is under-rated. I thought he was pretty solid in 2011 - played 23 games with averages of;-
15.6 disposals, 3.3 tackles, 2.8 marks & 0.2 goals.
Not bad stats for a small defender......
Hes also part of the leadership group, helps a lot of the younger guys and is mates with Hirdy, so I dont see him being dropped from the seniors just yet.

AFL aligned VFL sides are not picked on form - you know as well as i know that a large chunk of selection is based on development when it comes to AFL aligned teams which Bendigo is.

McVeigh is massively over-rated now - too slow for midfield and behind several in seniors now. He's a chance for a small defenders role in AFL but I have Hibberd just ahead of him. Hibberd is that little bit quicker so just gets the nod but certainly not much in it.

Slattery is terrible in the midfield. He is average as a stopper but will inevitably get games due to injuries etc. I don't think anyones naive enough to suggest we'll go through a season without many. Is Slattery a good VFL player? Probably is but that doesn't help the AFL team - developing guys like Long/Browne etc who can be better than just good VFL players (like Slattery) is more important for Essendon long term.

Ok please name me one situation where an older Bomber listed player has continually been named on the bench so a lesser like with average form has had more game time ?
It just doesnt happen , they play good VFL players otherwise they would not bother going out and picking up experienced players to fill the gaps. They would use kids from TAC Cup to plug all the spots.
Players get picked on form just as much as they do development !

You are still talking about what you would want and not being realistic. Slattery was good in the midfield in a few games last season, i am not biased either way so i see these things. Secondly younger players develop better with senior guys playing around them.
No matter what you think of Slattery he has been good enough to play a lot of AFL footy and is a quality VFL player. Anyone who says otherwise is having a lend of themselves.

And as far as McVeigh goes are you seriously saying that a bloke in the leadership group who was pretty good last year playing the role he is best suited to is going to be replaced by a 2nd year player with off field issues ?

I like Hibberd and i think he will be a good player and if i could pick the side every week then i would probably agree that Spike and blokes like him are yesterdays men but this is the real world and he is in the leadership group because people rate him and the coaching staff rate him and he will play seniors this year.

there's no doubt that being hird's mate has helped mcveigh. i just hope hird isn't too sentimental going forward - he's going to have to make some hard calls on his mates at some stage and sooner rather than later with the talent we have coming through.

Ok please name me one situation where an older Bomber listed player has continually been named on the bench so a lesser like with average form has had more game time ?
It just doesnt happen , they play good VFL players otherwise they would not bother going out and picking up experienced players to fill the gaps. They would use kids from TAC Cup to plug all the spots.
Players get picked on form just as much as they do development !

You are still talking about what you would want and not being realistic. Slattery was good in the midfield in a few games last season, i am not biased either way so i see these things. Secondly younger players develop better with senior guys playing around them.
No matter what you think of Slattery he has been good enough to play a lot of AFL footy and is a quality VFL player. Anyone who says otherwise is having a lend of themselves.

And as far as McVeigh goes are you seriously saying that a bloke in the leadership group who was pretty good last year playing the role he is best suited to is going to be replaced by a 2nd year player with off field issues ?

I like Hibberd and i think he will be a good player and if i could pick the side every week then i would probably agree that Spike and blokes like him are yesterdays men but this is the real world and he is in the leadership group because people rate him and the coaching staff rate him and he will play seniors this year.

peverill, jason johnson and welsh were all forced out in recent years when they could have been handy vfl/depth players in aid of development.

Mcveigh is playing better than all those guys, and can play more roles. And welsh was offered a contract and choose to retire.

agree mcveigh is playing better than those named above at their time - as i said earlier he's in the mix for seniors but i have it done to him or hibberd for the final small defenders role.

it was this time last year i said welsh's time was up and wasn't in our best 22 (despite being in the leadership group) and copped some criticism. mcveigh is in a similar position - he's on the fringe of selection for mine.

peverill, jason johnson and welsh were all forced out in recent years when they could have been handy vfl/depth players in aid of development.

Welsh was injured so you can rule him out anyway. JJ actually came out and said himself mid season that his body was not holding up and was going to retire.
Both Johnson and Peveril where not relegated to the bench for Bendigo despite both of them not being in the long term picture so what is the argument ?

It has nothing to do with players who are not in the long term vision being dumped to the VFL bench.

I agree with you on McVeigh and i was in the group calling for Welsh to go 2 years ago but it is my opinion and your opinion and not the real world.
McVeigh and Slattery are not going to be bench warmers in the VFL even though they are not the long term future of the club.

your probably right but i think it would be in essendons better interest that mcveigh and slattery be overlooked in favour of younger players at present.

the reality is with injuries we'll never have all of our players available to see this type of selection pressure at vfl level anyway.

hi guys i currently work with a young bloke that is training with bendigo keep an eye out for him, his name is jesse bowe hes 6ft 10" and only 20 yrs old

hi guys i currently work with a young bloke that is training with bendigo keep an eye out for him, his name is jesse bowe hes 6ft 10" and only 20 yrs old

Hopefully he can become the new Robert Campbell - And Essendon will draft him before the Bulldogs.

Our development has been a hella lot better with a stronger Bendigo than the shit trucks they used to have, efcboy.
Whether those stronger players are guys like Slatts/McVeigh/Prismall, or Ladson/Duscher et al, it's all a good thing.

Our development has been a hella lot better with a stronger Bendigo than the shit trucks they used to have, efcboy.
Whether those stronger players are guys like Slatts/McVeigh/Prismall, or Ladson/Duscher et al, it's all a good thing.

no arguments with that.

it's interesting to note that in nab cup r1 mcveigh was trialled as a small forward (as was dell'olio) and now in R2 he's omitted with a strong lineup named. this is enough to suggest to me that he's not in the coach's plans for the defensive 6 and his place in the senior lineup is in jeopardy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no arguments with that.

it's interesting to note that in nab cup r1 mcveigh was trialled as a small forward (as was dell'olio) and now in R2 he's omitted with a strong lineup named. this is enough to suggest to me that he's not in the coach's plans for the defensive 6 and his place in the senior lineup is in jeopardy.
Long bow there.

no arguments with that.

or being one of the oldest players on the list he was not expected to play all the pre season games.

I'd refer to todays H-Sun article about development being the priority for the VFL side.

First time they have ever openly gone down that path and it changes nothing from past arguments in that they will not continually place a young kid in a position if he is not performing and Slattery and McVeigh will not be bench warmers for Bendigo.

Keep living in dream world.
McVeigh named for friday in what is a full strength side.

unless we have an astonishingly good run with injuries, the instructions to skippy are largely metaphorical anyway in the context of butting heads with the Bendigo heirarchy. most weeks, 8 or 9 players minimum will come from the Bendigo list. especially for any weeks where the senior side need to hold over a couple of emergencies. there will be tension between the two camps, of course, but that was inevitable from the moment it was decided to break away but not immediately.

First time they have ever openly gone down that path and it changes nothing from past arguments in that they will not continually place a young kid in a position if he is not performing and Slattery and McVeigh will not be bench warmers for Bendigo.

Keep living in dream world.
McVeigh named for friday in what is a full strength side.

It's not the first time they've gone down that path - generally have always used VFL for development. Christian Bock was terrible and got games every week when he was on the rookie list for example.

I never suggested McVeigh would be on the bench for Bendigo - all I said was he was battling with Hibberd for the back-pocket role in AFL side. I had Hibberd ahead of him. Then in R1 of NAB he played forward. I think he is definitely on shakey ground to be playing seniors regularly. If you think McVeigh is a lock for the best 22 in AFL you are in dream world.

H.Slattery is not in the AFL squad this week.

It's not the first time they've gone down that path - generally have always used VFL for development. Christian Bock was terrible and got games every week when he was on the rookie list for example.

I never suggested McVeigh would be on the bench for Bendigo - all I said was he was battling with Hibberd for the back-pocket role in AFL side. I had Hibberd ahead of him. Then in R1 of NAB he played forward. I think he is definitely on shakey ground to be playing seniors regularly. If you think McVeigh is a lock for the best 22 in AFL you are in dream world.

H.Slattery is not in the AFL squad this week.

Bock also played a lot of time on the bench and even played some seconds games when Bendigo had seconds.

Now lets get something worked out.

1. Do not have selected memory. McVeigh is not a lock in my best 22, has not been for 2 years but i am not on selection and i know enough people in the club to know he is in the best 22 of the people who select the side.

2.Have not said Slattery is up to AFL standard so not being in the main squad does not mean shit. My argument was he will not be warming the bench in the VFL like you had doing in your VFL side.

and the protracted divorce get's predictably messy almost from the get-go:

Bendigo FC Statement
Winning games is important to the BFC

The Bendigo Football Club is extremely disappointed about comments made by the Head Coach which appear to reflect the view that the 2012 VFL season for Essendon is a testing ground for its young players and that Essendon seems to regard winning matches as a low priority.

Speaking in Bendigo today, Chairman, Peter Lodewijks, said that comments made recently, were disappointing and far from helpful so close to the start of a season which, for Bendigo, must provide a strong basis for the development of its 2013 stand-alone team.

“It’s been reported comments were made to the effect that ‘developing James Hird’s next generation of stars was priority number 1’ and that AFL-listed player development must take precedence over winning VFL matches.”

“These comments and our partner’s apparent attitude to the coming VFL season certainly don’t reflect our views on the alignment between our two clubs because we’re strongly committed to on-field success in 2012.”

“When negotiating this season’s alignment, both clubs agreed to the recruitment of competitive and experienced VFL footballers in 2012 in order for the team to remain competitive.”

“We’ve been very accommodating and have maintained a strong commitment to our side of the agreement reached for 2012.

“The Club has played finals for the past two seasons and has continued to successfully develop a young and talented playing list.”

“In 2012 it’s vital we build on the hard work that’s gone into those finals appearances as a lead-up to 2013.”

“Paying scant regard to the season’s win-loss ratio just so that Essendon’s coaching staff can appraise their young players at leisure certainly isn’t our plan because it’s completely at odds with our objectives and the direction in which we’re heading.”

“Everyone associated with the Bendigo Football Club is totally committed to on-field success for our supporters and sponsors.”

“We’re proud to represent Bendigo and we’re committed to building a successful team.

“We’re continuing to gain momentum and we’re on track in our preparation for stand-alone status.”

“We’ve already secured some significant corporate partnerships and have commenced the search for a new 2013 Head Coach.”

“The competition for our new nickname together with our new bendigofc.com.au website have generated an enormous amount of interest.”

“At the conclusion of the alignment, we’ll become Bendigo’s own stand-alone club knowing that we always gave 100% to that agreement which we certainly regard as a genuine partnership.”

fwiw,imo Bendigo's position is entirely understandable. They have their own future to attend to. this was ALWAYS going to be a problem. You tell someone you're leaving them, but we'll still live in the same house for 12 months? yeah, nah.

whether the position as stated by skippy is right or not, stating it publicly makes little sense and could only lead to heartburn that helps no-one. I was extremely surprised to see it explicitly in print. As a couple of us pointed out when the 2012 arrangements were announced, there is a difficult year coming up for the reserves that will certainly not be ideal for either essendon or bendigo.

and the protracted divorce get's predictably messy almost from the get-go:

fwiw,imo Bendigo's position is entirely understandable. They have their own future to attend to. this was ALWAYS going to be a problem. You tell someone you're leaving them, but we'll still live in the same house for 12 months? yeah, nah.

whether the position as stated by skippy is right or not, stating it publicly makes little sense and could only lead to heartburn that helps no-one. I was extremely surprised to see it explicitly in print. As a couple of us pointed out when the 2012 arrangements were announced, there is a difficult year coming up for the reserves that will certainly not be ideal for either essendon or bendigo.

agree with your thoughts - older players committed to the bendigo cause may start pulling out and just stick with their local league team for this season. However 'd imagine younger players would still relish the opportunity of presenting themselves as an option for an AFL club such as Essendon. Given Crameri, Dickson and Campbell have all become AFL listed through this path I don't see many younger players knocking back the opportunity and trying their best etc.

This alignment is like living with your divorced wife and bringing home randoms? Certainly not comfy!

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back