Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Went and had a look today.

Wasn’t a great standard of footy, small ground and both defences dominated most of the day.

Didn’t do anything to change my mind that interleague is done, small crowd and the atmosphere was more like a pre season game.

Perhaps I was spoilt by being involved in the halcyon days of the 80s when interleague was a genuine pinnacle but whatever today cost I would rather see taken off kids registrations and I think the game would get more out of it as well.

Went and had a look today.

Wasn’t a great standard of footy, small ground and both defences dominated most of the day.

Didn’t do anything to change my mind that interleague is done, small crowd and the atmosphere was more like a pre season game.

Perhaps I was spoilt by being involved in the halcyon days of the 80s when interleague was a genuine pinnacle but whatever today cost I would rather see taken off kids registrations and I think the game would get more out of it as well.
You've got to be kidding. There was nothing negative about yesterday. Standard was incredibly high and the way the guys played indicated they loved interleague. If football makes you this unhappy all the time maybe play golf?

In the 1980s, we'd be saying that result was very reasonable considering that fact that you would have been playing the A Section VAFA players instead of B Section and below.

Regarding yesterday's game, you need to consider the fact that the match was played against a team that none of which would make the best team that the VAFA would put out.

We can conclude that while Bendigo footy could be compared with VAFA A Section 40 years ago, unfortunately it is closer to B Section today.

You've got to be kidding. There was nothing negative about yesterday. Standard was incredibly high and the way the guys played indicated they loved interleague. If football makes you this unhappy all the time maybe play golf?

Welcome Arnold - how long have you been on the BFNL board ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

In the 1980s, we'd be saying that result was very reasonable considering that fact that you would have been playing the A Section VAFA players instead of B Section and below.

Regarding yesterday's game, you need to consider the fact that the match was played against a team that none of which would make the best team that the VAFA would put out.

We can conclude that while Bendigo footy could be compared with VAFA A Section 40 years ago, unfortunately it is closer to B Section today.
The VAFA have played the Vic county side since the 1980’s. I doubt a BFL inter league side would have ever matched their top side.

Talking to some of the VAFA people there, they had similar issues with a lack of interest from players.

They had to top up with a handful of players from the lower division and still couldn’t get enough so they had to add one from the top section as well.

I see hampden and Ballarat played an under 23 game. Could be the future and play the games as curtain raisers to afl and drop the Coates league
Ballarat approached Bendigo about playing senior interleague last year but was knocked back. They then accepted an approach from Hampden to play an U/23 game. Yesterday included U/17 boys and U/19 girls.

Why does everyone have so much hate for talent league and want to get rid of it? It’s going no where obviously I just don’t understand how you think removing it helps anything.
Who gets drafted out of it 1 kid out of 40 on a list? How's that smart having 18 year old kids travel all over the countryside, where 1 kid might get drafted. Doesn't sound like the smartest idea to me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does everyone have so much hate for talent league and want to get rid of it? It’s going no where obviously I just don’t understand how you think removing it helps anything.
It doesn't.
There's more an issue with school footy that sees players leave the region & often not return.
At least the Talent League keeps things region based.
The degradation of the pathways system has directly coincided with the rise of school footy as the preferred pathway.

Who gets drafted out of it 1 kid out of 40 on a list? How's that smart having 18 year old kids travel all over the countryside, where 1 kid might get drafted. Doesn't sound like the smartest idea to me
So you don’t think that 1-2 years exposure to an elite talent program is beneficial to the 40 kids on the list? The end goal/reward is to get drafted which obviously only happens for a select few but I still say that if you were given 2 years in an elite set up with experience coaching and analytics you would get something out of it.

So you don’t think that 1-2 years exposure to an elite talent program is beneficial to the 40 kids on the list? The end goal/reward is to get drafted which obviously only happens for a select few but I still say that if you were given 2 years in an elite set up with experience coaching and analytics you would get something out of it.
Elite? Compare it to the private school system, facilities and coaches compared to the under system. Kids don't have anywhere near the amount of travel. Kids would get far more benefit if the bfl improved and playing against men. Kids in the gv and especially the oandm would be fat better playing under Adam Schneider, Steve Johnson, Ben reid, Sam Murray, Dion miles in a strong senior comp than playing under former Eaglehawk star Mark Brown fir the bushrangers

Elite? Compare it to the private school system, facilities and coaches compared to the under system. Kids don't have anywhere near the amount of travel. Kids would get far more benefit if the bfl improved and playing against men. Kids in the gv and especially the oandm would be fat better playing under Adam Schneider, Steve Johnson, Ben reid, Sam Murray, Dion miles in a strong senior comp than playing under former Eaglehawk star Mark Brown fir the bushrangers
The problem is that nowadays it tends to be school or club & talent league.
In which case it's weighted toward the latter as the better model IMO.
Notwithstanding that not everyone is wanting to or able to pursue their schooling to the same degree as well.
It's an elitist system that feeds the schools & AFL.

Last edited:
No. I disagree I don’t think kids would be better off without talent league. Kids good enough to be involved in talent league need to be playing against the best of the best not 5 or 6 of the best every week in local footy. I still think the majority would be better off playing against the other talent league talent than playing in local leagues. If kids would be so much better off playing under the blokes you’ve mentioned and playing local league seniors why aren’t more doing it?

sadly the talent league has been on the decline since the covid restart. money on offer doesnt attract the best available coaches let alone the talent managers who can earn far more in other indutry or sectors. private school coaches get better income per hour and resources than pathway clubs. caulfield grammar seem to land balls deep with vic metro u16 players annually. the ctl fees im told are now are paid direct to afl house and not the member clubs meaning all staff appointments and curriculum decisions are made by networked afl folk. bush based private school scholarship kids now play in the regions there school finds itself in around suburban melbourne instead of heading home to play when available for the likes of rebels pioneers bushrangers. now there are blocked out weekends dedicated to school etc which robs the public school kids of opportunity they may once have get in past fixtures that continued weekly.

The problem is that nowadays it tends to be school or club & talent league.
In which case it's weighted toward the latter as the better model IMO.
Notwithstanding that not everyone is wanting to or able to pursue their schooling to the same degree as well.
It's an elitist system that feeds the schools & AFL.

I hate how the private schools are taking over…. But it seems to me all the elite kids that are on the draft radar will be receiving a scholarship from one school or another, and the parents of full fee paying kids will continue to pay top dollar in school fees under the impression that it will give their kid more chance to be noticed…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back