Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

In essence a community works together to buy an annual source of entertainment. This entertainment provides a valuable way of connecting with not only their own community but with neighbouring communities. The community involvement is paramount and does indeed keep the town alive.

In recent years, I feel that many minor league teams have gone from strength to strength with burgeoning Reserves numbers and junior numbers, while Reserves competitions at major league level have dropped off dramatically. I believe that since AFL players aren't being plucked from major leagues like they once were, the lustre of doing what is required to play at that higher level has worn off and without extra renumeration many players don't see the worth in playing at that level.

I think we will see more more major league teams look to drop a level, or go into recess in the coming years; as we have seen with Corowa-Rutherglen, Maryborough and Kyneton in recent times. Which adds another layer of uniqueness to the Broadford situation as most clubs won't be entertaining the idea of ever going up a level.
Yep if you look at the Heathcote and bellarine and west Gippsland, north central they have serious talent, where guys enjoy the community aspect as well as playing a good standard. Great point. I'd think only rhe ovens and murray and Geelong leagues have kept a really high standard out of the 6 major leagues

Problem is that some towns of that size either don’t want them or there are too many clubs for the area
Roota, how can we have a town of that size not be in a major league or become extinct? The Cash Cows some district clubs have become without any eyebrows being raised will continue to decimate major league football. In the past few years Corowa-Rutherglen (recess), Maryborough(recess) Kyneton RDFL, Melton Sth RDFL have fallen on hard times. However if this Salary Cap charade continues it will spread throughout the state. Either police the cap or don't have one...like some clubs presently don't.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back