VFL Game Day Bendigo v Box Hill @ Windy Hill, Sunday 2pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought all our problems would be solved when we went without the 3 ruckman .....

Ant

Any chance that T.slattery could be upgraded to give us defensive coverage.

No idea. Maybe a slim chance .

Thinking that when the season is officially in mothballs - could look at upgrading 2 rookies - see how they cut it at senior level.

Steinburg didn't do a whole lot early, really turned it on in the last. Disappears too much during the game and needs to put some more size on. If he does get a game it might be at the end of the season. He does have alot of talent, but I would love to see him play a couple of games in a row of 4 quarters performances before he gets considered for seniors.

Steinburg didn't do a whole lot early, really turned it on in the last. Disappears too much during the game and needs to put some more size on. If he does get a game it might be at the end of the season. He does have alot of talent, but I would love to see him play a couple of games in a row of 4 quarters performances before he gets considered for seniors.

Agree, his best two games where he has kicked goals have been against an undermanned Geelong in a practice match and an undermanned Box Hill.

Coming along ok but look to next year.

Ross is one player I'm really starting to warm to. He has good pace, had good skills and can find the footy. Hasn't really played a full 4 quarter game yet but is starting to get involved more and more. He has really improved from the start of the season. He is currently too light for the ones, but if he can put a bit weight in the preseason I could see him becoming a handy player in the future.

ok, cheers for that :thumbsu:

I'd bring in Hille and Williams, we really need someone who is clean in front of goal - and Willo is in good form at the moment. I'd give Gumby another week or two in the VFL.

My assessment:

Neagle - worked hard in ruck all day. Was made to get involved by playing ruck.

Dyson - average game - surprised he was named in the best.

Gumbleton - marked well around the ground hauling in about 8 marks in little over half a game. Was concerned when he went down to rooms with doctor in second quarter but relieved when he returned. He was laughing and joking with the doctor on the sideline so was in good spirits. He was regularly interchanging during the match and was blowing up a fair bit - looks at least a week or two away from AFL due to this. He missed a reasonable chunk of the 2nd quarter when down in the rooms. He sprayed a couple of shots on goal but would have derived confidence from kicking 3 goals. His movement and marking was sound - its only his fitness to last a match which will hold him back at AFL level.

Welsh - didn't play.

H.Slattery - hardly touched it in the first half but was quite good in the second half and did enough to be in the frame for selection.

Carlisle - excellent across CHB taking several strong marks. Definitely one of the best.

Browne - fairly quiet and didn't do enough to warrant a recall for mine.

Steinberg - showed flashes of brilliance kicking his 5 goals which could have been more. The comparisons to Stevie J are showing. Not ready for AFL yet though.

Davis - average game off half-back.

Daniher - didn't see much match time (maybe 50%) but did some good things and took some nice marks.

Davey - lacking touch and confidence. Can't bring him into AFL yet for mine until he can get on top of his game at VFL level under less pressure.

Colyer - didn't play which suggests he was saved for Friday night.

Williams - best game he's played in red and black. Was up and about, snagging goals from the boundary and putting himself into the contest. Looks ready for a big game - his body was moving well, his confidence was up. Given he's playing his old club if he's ever going to play it has to be this week.

Silverlock - quiet game, just average.

T.Slattery - decent game in defence.

Reimers - knocked out at start of game missed the first half. Returned for 2nd half and simply dominated. Was everywhere and a class above the rest.

Michael Ross - surprised he wasn't named in the best. Best game i've seen him play, got to a lot of contests, showed poise and used the ball well.

Quinn - standard Quinn.

Jenkins - solid game in ruck.

Webster - best game i've seen him play. Moved well off half-back and used the ball well. Promising.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

H.Slattery - hardly touched it in the first half but was quite good in the second half and did enough to be in the frame for selection.
How can he not touch it in a half of footy in the VFL and still warrant selection?
If you cant touch it in a half of footy against a depleted vfl side then you are not worthy of playing in the seniors imo.

How can he not touch it in a half of footy in the VFL and still warrant selection?
If you cant touch it in a half of footy against a depleted vfl side then you are not worthy of playing in the seniors imo.

He got a bit of ball in the first half, then really turned it on in the second half. He did more than other listed players who some supporters are calling for to come in.

re - henry slattery. its pretty well known on this board i'm not a fan and yes he was very quiet in the first half. however he did play quite well in the second half doing some nice things. i wouldn't have him in the frame for selection if hooker and hardingham weren't both out but you need to be realistic in selecting the right balance of experience and strength in your backline when a couple of regulars this season are out. henry played better than young browne for mine and probably even dyson. we've already got heppell in the back six so probably don't won't another 1st year player in browne also down back as we may be lacking strength of an older body etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back