VFL Game Day Round 15: Essendon vs Sydney, Windy Hill, Saturday 02/07/2022 @ 10:35 AM

Remove this Banner Ad

The in form Essendon will face top 4 hopefuls Sydney in the reserves for the first time in 23 years, in what may well be the match of the round in the VFL for this week. Essendon have won their last 4 games in a row and are looking in good form, whilst Sydney have won 5 of their last 6 games, their only loss coming against undefeated flag favourite Casey, making this match a must watch.

Essendon's last start was against cellar dwellers Williamstown and they controlled the game for the most part after scores were level at quarter time, the Bombers running out 38 point winners. Alec Waterman was at his best for the Dons, kicking 3 goals amongst his 18 disposals whilst mid season draftee Jye Menzie had 4 goals in an impressive performance that could see him make his AFL debut this week.

Sydney had a good win against Sandringham at home, getting out to a comfortable margin in the second quarter and basically holding the Zebras there for the rest of the game to win by 21 points. Cult figure Joel Amartey had 5 goals up front to go with 23 disposals, whilst young gun Corey Warner had 19 disposals and 2 goals as well, with James Bell collecting 31 disposals in the middle for the Swans

As great as it is that we're in form, I reckon the Swans will get up in this contest by 27 points. Possible side:

FB: Cian McBride - Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - Josh Eyre
HB: Alastair Lord - Cody Brand - Tom Cutler
MF: Sam Durham - Brad Bernacki - Garrett McDonagh
HF: Aaron Francis - Patrick Voss - Tom Hird
FF: Alec Waterman - Kaine Baldwin - Jye Menzie
OB: Nick Bryan - Stefan Rasinac - Joe Atley
IC: Brayden Ham - Billy Cootee - Sam Conforti - Joel Fitzgerald
23P: Tom Hird

Looks like it will only be a half this week although I could very well stay for the whole game and not go to the G :cool:
Probably finishes around 1, with the game at the G at 1:45 you could probably get there for most of it if you leave straight away

#12.png

So we're playing 4 key defenders and one (generous) key forward, Andrew Phillips isn't named for whatever reason. Jeremy Laidler is an emergency for the Swans funnily enough. This is the week to send McBride forward for me as they really only have Melican and Gould as key defenders, they do play the three rucks plus McLean, so stick Reid on Amartey, Brand on McLean and Eyre on Sinclair/Ladhams. I assume Mackinlay is Ewan from the Murray Bushrangers (andleanback eDPS foj1 ant555 are you guys able to shed any light on him?) but by purely looking at stats he's averaging 16.5 touches and a goal a game in the NAB League, looks like a half forward role mostly with 3 inside 50's a game too. Not sure why Baldwin's out or why Francis needs to be "managed" either.

View attachment 1437175

So we're playing 4 key defenders and one (generous) key forward, Andrew Phillips isn't named for whatever reason. Jeremy Laidler is an emergency for the Swans funnily enough. This is the week to send McBride forward for me as they really only have Melican and Gould as key defenders, they do play the three rucks plus McLean, so stick Reid on Amartey, Brand on McLean and Eyre on Sinclair/Ladhams. I assume Mackinlay is Ewan from the Murray Bushrangers (andleanback eDPS foj1 ant555 are you guys able to shed any light on him?) but by purely looking at stats he's averaging 16.5 touches and a goal a game in the NAB League, looks like a half forward role mostly with 3 inside 50's a game too. Not sure why Baldwin's out or why Francis needs to be "managed" either.

Phillips emergency for the seniors so may well be a late in...and Francis mental health leave again I've heard - no idea why Baldwin is out though...

Last edited:
View attachment 1437175

Have not really noticed him

Had enough of the footy but no real system in the forward line .
Ladhams has Bryan covered at the moment.

Reid playing KP this week but the Swans are tall forward with McKean , Sinclair and Armartey
Forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too many players out again. Midfield got run over.
Lack of forward targets.
They had a crack contest wise but just too many turnovers and hack kicks forward.
Did no watch the last quarter.

Rasinac draftable ant555 foj1?

I don’t particularly care if he’s on the slow side or a bit of a truck, has a dip, wins the ground ball and loves a tackle
Skills are not good enough but he has a go.

Rasinac draftable ant555 foj1?

I don’t particularly care if he’s on the slow side or a bit of a truck, has a dip, wins the ground ball and loves a tackle
No
stefan is a good trier who struggled to get a game at calder but has developed late
at 25 not worth the punt though Adrian might think differently

Remove this Banner Ad

Back