VFL Game Day Bendigo v Werribee, Saturday 23/6/12 | Bendigo 17.6.108 def. Werribee 8.15.63

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the write up guys. It's exciting hearing about our depth. Will be interesting to see if anyone does get a crack this year as the coaching staff have been a little reluctant to give out too many first games this year - guys like Lee and Bags are probably down the pecking order behind Lonegan, Browne, Colyer etc

Im not sure how many games you have seen of Bendigo this year?

Kavanagh is running out games strongly, repeatedly getting to contests, even later in the game. Also, having started predominantly on a restricted program, he is not playing more and more game time as an onballer.

I am Freezers biggest fan and I can tell you he was no where near as effective as in recent weeks. Looked lost and was consistently out of position. No where near a 7 like you gave him.

I will agree with you that Browne was close to best on ground, was consistatnly taking the game on and trying to create as much as possible. One thing I will say is, he wont replace Melksham in the side if he looks like a wing/half back! Melksham has been playing half forward in the seniors. I did mention to Saladin at the game, that it would not surprise me to see him push for games later in the year, he has been outstanding in the past two outings.

And Ross was very good in his second game back (5 of 8 quarters), belying his small frame to take a couple of strong contested marks in the past two weeks and again showing his polished ball use that saw him debut last year. Again, could see him push for senior selection later in the year, but certainly down the pecking order in terms of running defenders.

One last thing, hard to argue that Baguley was only slightly better than Freezer, Lonergan and Putt!

FWIW, I would say that Bellchambers was the dominant big man on the ground, followed by Daw who probably took the points against Putt.

i've seen 4 matches (4 of last 5) and listened to another on radio.

re Kav - my comments are with respect to his potential to play AFL. As we both know he had restricted program and doesn't have the motor to play AFL midfield yet. VFL is a different story but even then he's not a 4 qtr mid yet. When he is "weaponised" properly over next summer look out.

Freezer was rarely beaten for mine and was solid in defence.

Re melksham - he hasn't owned any position and actually did spend some time off half back against fremantle. however browne could play the same role hbf, wing, hff, sub etc. It appears melksham is a favourite of the coaches though so expect him to be retained.

Daw was rubbish i thought - will never be up to AFL standard. He's a poor mans nic nat - even more flashy and doesn't get to enough contests.

Lonergan was better than Baguley for mine. Baguley is a handy HBF nothing more and he's hardly banging down the door for selection. I think a few are getting carried away with a bit of hype on him now.

i've seen 4 matches (4 of last 5) and listened to another on radio.

re Kav - my comments are with respect to his potential to play AFL. As we both know he had restricted program and doesn't have the motor to play AFL midfield yet. VFL is a different story but even then he's not a 4 qtr mid yet. When he is "weaponised" properly over next summer look out.

I mispelt in my comments (re Kavanagh), he Is running out games stronger now than when he first came to the club, showing increased capacity by getting to more and more contests, and managing repeated efforts later in matches.

I agree, AFL is a completely different mothball to VFL, but lets not hide the hype on the kid shall we? after all, if he doesnt win the brownlow, rising star and our B&F in his second year, it's due to his injuries, but if he does, it's cause we're awesome!

Freezer was rarely beaten for mine and was solid in defence.

Like I mentioned, I am Freezer's no 1. fan, the bandwagon driver, and yes, he may not have been beaten all day, but who did he play on all day? Ben McKinley, who had a 10 possession, 1 (late) goal best on ground effort? Ben Warrern? the turnover merchant himself? Cameron Pederson was hardly sighted all day.

He was good, but not in our best half dozen players on the day.

Re melksham - he hasn't owned any position and actually did spend some time off half back against fremantle. however browne could play the same role hbf, wing, hff, sub etc. It appears melksham is a favourite of the coaches though so expect him to be retained.

I think people are starting to enjoy the prospect of a young guy coming in (re Browne), but truth be told, next cab off the rank(s) should be Rick Dyson (who was stiff to be dropped by the way) and Travis Colyer, with Sam Lonergan showing he is a step above VFL level on the weekend.

Yes the signs are good, but lets allow these younger guys to step up, and over take the older guys, wont be too far away that Alex Browne is passing someone like Kyle Reimers anyways as that bottom best 22 player, with potential to move a lot higher on the rankings.

Lonergan was better than Baguley for mine. Baguley is a handy HBF nothing more and he's hardly banging down the door for selection. I think a few are getting carried away with a bit of hype on him now. [/quo
te]

Lonergan was good, but Baguley was a lot better for mine. Simply did not waste a disposal, was NOT beaten all day and even managed to move up from his customary HBF/BP position to kick a goal.
(note: I have seen/known about Baguley for some years now, and he is more than just a HBF'er, actually started out as a long kicking half forward - Chris Knights style).

Just on Kav he is right where the club wants him, was never going to be a serious senior chance this year unless he really exploded mid season. They where happy to slowly work his way through the injuries and play 10 or 11 VFL games and start next season at full pace. His form is probably exceeding the clubs hopes at the moment.

Start next season at full pace? Have you seen the Hird team selection video? He is an emergency and a big chance to play this year.

BTW great write up Yoda (meant to comment on earlier).

Do people actually read before making comments, i did actually say he had probably exceeded the clubs hopes.
I can tell you now he has had a long and closely managed build up so far this season and they will take no risks. He has not been rushed and is now only reaching something near AFL pace. Take it or leave it it is up to you.
As far as emergency goes lots of blokes make the emg list yet play no games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Game Day Bendigo v Werribee, Saturday 23/6/12 | Bendigo 17.6.108 def. Werribee 8.15.63

Remove this Banner Ad

Back