Opinion Best 22 for 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

I know there’s still two rounds to go, trade period, draft and another pre-season…

Frankly, I had enough of this cursed season and looking forward to the next season.

We are likely to have a new coach and a different game plan.
Yep, lots of changes to come.
But, why not have a quick look at our best 22 for 2022.

I’m assuming that everyone is fit and ready to go, with the obvious retirements.
We are due for a bit of luck on the injury fronts!

Here are my thoughts – what are yours?
Having done my 22, yeah we could do with Cerra in the middle :D

FB: Plowman - Jones - Williams
HB: Saad - Weitering - Stocker
C: Docherty - Cripps - Martin
HF: Cunningham – C.Curnow - Fisher
FF: Owie - McKay - Honey

R: TDK - Walsh - Dow
Int: Kemp - JSOS – Fogarty – McGovern

Unlucky/ Depth
Newman – I just can’t find a spot for him
Kennedy – Should he play instead of Cunningham?
Marchbank - Super talented, but who knows
O'Brien – Is he sticking around?
SPS – Is he sticking around?

I’m not sold on these guys:
Michael Gibbons
Jack Newnes
Tom Williamson
Will Setterfield
Mark Pittonett

Kids (Let them earn their opportunities with no pressure)
Durdin
Carroll
Ramsay
Parks
Philp

Bit sad when the off-season is often the most exciting part of the year for Carlton fans. :laughv1:

FB - Newman, Jones, McGovern

HB - Saad, Weitering, Williams

M - Docherty, Cripps, Walsh

HF - Fogarty, C. Curnow, Martin

FF - Honey, McKay, Silvagni

FOL - De Koning, Dow, Kennedy

I/C - Stocker, Cuningham, Fisher, Owies

A few quick notables:
~ McGovern plays as an intercepting 3rd tall in defence
~ Docherty to play mainly wing, rotating into the backline to let Stocker get some midfield minutes
~ Fogarty/Cuningham to come of the bench and play a mix of forward-mid.
~ Haven't included Plowman in my 22, Newman/Gov/Williams/Stocker can lockdown on opponents.
~ If we get Cerra, he replaces Fisher and plays a mix of on-ball/wing

I’m confident in the following:

FB: xxxx - Jones - xxxx
HB: Saad - Weitering - Williams
C: xxxx - Cripps - xxxx
HF: Martin – C.Curnow - JSOS
FF: xxxx - McKay - xxxx

Foll: TDK - Walsh - xxxx

Big question marks on Marchbank, McGovern, Cuningham, Docherty.

Retirees Betts, Murphy and Casboult.

Williamson Jones Kemp
Williams Weitering Saad
Walsh Cripps Stocker
Martin C Curnow Docherty
Honey McKay Silvagni
De Koning Kennedy Cuningham

Carroll McGovern Newman #1st round draft pick/trade

Unsure: LOB Plowman Dow - all down to intensity and how they kick on in that regard after this review.

Williamson Jones Kemp
Williams Weitering Saad
Walsh Cripps Stocker
Martin C Curnow Docherty
Honey McKay Silvagni
De Koning Kennedy Cuningham

Carroll McGovern Newman #1st round draft pick/trade

Unsure: LOB Plowman Dow - all down to intensity and how they kick on in that regard after this review.
Jeez, guess that makes us pretty bad if Kemp, Carroll and an unknown draftee are all best 22 without playing a game yet! :p

Jeez, guess that makes us pretty bad if Kemp, Carroll and an unknown draftee are all best 22 without playing a game yet! :p

Nope. I just have faith in Kemp and his utility value. I love what I saw from Carroll in the VFL. I think he will be a gun. We are looking at the 6th best player in this year's draft (not counting the two father/son prospects), and think we will get a very good midfielder out of it.

I guess I'm just down on conditional intensity so even though I'm a big fan of Plowman generally, him, Dow and LOB have to show consistency in that regard.

FB: Kemp Jones Saad
HB: Williams Weitering Stocker
C: Cerra Cripps Docherty
HF: Martin McKay JSOS
FF: Honey Curnow Fisher
Foll: TDK Walsh Dow
I/C: Plowman Philp Kennedy McGovern
Emerg: Newman Carroll Cuningham

Pretty similar line up to this year in many ways. I am hopeful that Kemp, Stocker, Philp, Dow and Carroll have what it takes to make it at the next level with a full preseason. Really just relying on a new coach implementing a more effective game plan, upholding higher standards and having a modicum of luck with injuries. A couple of early wins and a bit of continuity to instil some confidence and you never know what might happen.

FB Plowman - Jones - Docherty
HB Williams - Weitering - Saad

C Walsh - Cripps - O'Brien
OB De Koning - Kennedy - Dow/Cerra

HF Martin - CCurnow - ECurnow
FF Honey - McKay - McGovern

Interchange
Kemp (D), Stocker (OB), Cuningham (F/OB) and Silvagni (R/U)

Notable Exclusions
Fogarty and Fisher - competing for the spot with SPS who I just feel under a new coach should be more damaging delivering inside 50 (big preseason training as a general forward with bursts on ball).
Newman - competing with Kemp and Docherty who again should be more damaging in a tighter defensive system.
Williamson - almost interchangeable with O'Brien for that developing wing role as I do like him.
Setterfield - can only play OB if Kennedy or Cripps are unavailable.

Positional Changes
Docherty back into defence hopefully playing Newmans sweeper role. I back him in to clean up his disposal.
Cuningham, Dow and Stocker apart of the midfield/wing rotations to add some pace.

Last edited:
Not a fan of Docherty on the wing.

FB. Docherty. Jones. Plowman.
HB. Saad. Weitering. Williams.
C. O’Brien. Cripps. SPS.
HF. Martin. Charlie. Cuningham.
FF. Owies. Harry. McGovern.
R. TDK. Dow. Walsh.
I. Kennedy. Fisher. Stocker. JSOS.
E. Kemp. Ed. Williamson. Philp.

Next. Fogarty. Newman. Carroll. Honey.

- Likely Pittonet plays as ruck / ruck support.
- Assumes we keep SPS, Fisher, O’Brien, etc.
- Have given up on Marchbank.
- Draft and trades to come.
- Assumes we ditch the perennial injuries.

Docherty Jones Williamson
Williams Weitering Newman

TDK Cripps Walsh
Cerra* Ed Curnow Saad

Martin Curnow Fisher
JSOS McKay Honey

Stocker Kennedy Kemp Cuningham

*assume traded in

Coach: Nathan Buckley

B: Plowman----------------Jones------------------Marchbank

H: Williams---------------Weitering----------------Saad

C: Cuningham-------------Cripps------------------O'Brien

H: SPS--------------------C.Curnow---------------Martin

F: Honey-------------------McKay------------------Owies

Foll: De Koning, Kennedy, Walsh

Bench: Silvagni, Dow, Stocker (mid), McGovern

Emerg: Pittonet, Newman, Williamson, Setterfield, Kemp, Fisher, 1st Round Pick 2021

Out: Murphy, Docherty, Newnes, E.Curnow, Gibbons, Casboult, Betts

FB: Kemp Jones plowman
HB: Stocker Weitering Saad
C: Cerra Cripps Docherty
HF: McGovern McKay Honey
FF: JSOS Curnow Owies
Foll: Pittonet Walsh Dow

INT: Fisher, Cuningham Williams, Curnow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

b; Stocker Weitering Marchbank
hb; Williams Jones Saad
c; Obrien Kennedy Walsh
hf Cunningham C.Curnow Honey
f; Owies McKay McGovern
r; De Koning Cripps Dow/Cerra
res Silvagni Pittonet Kemp E.Curnow

Not confident with Martin and Docherty even though they have the skills to be in the 22. If Marchbank doesn't come up then consider Plowman.

Bit sad when the off-season is often the most exciting part of the year for Carlton fans. :laughv1:

FB - Newman, Jones, McGovern

HB - Saad, Weitering, Williams

M - Docherty, Cripps, Walsh

HF - Fogarty, C. Curnow, Martin

FF - Honey, McKay, Silvagni

FOL - De Koning, Dow, Kennedy

I/C - Stocker, Cuningham, Fisher, Owies

A few quick notables:
~ McGovern plays as an intercepting 3rd tall in defence
~ Docherty to play mainly wing, rotating into the backline to let Stocker get some midfield minutes
~ Fogarty/Cuningham to come of the bench and play a mix of forward-mid.
~ Haven't included Plowman in my 22, Newman/Gov/Williams/Stocker can lockdown on opponents.
~ If we get Cerra, he replaces Fisher and plays a mix of on-ball/wing

ditto have not included Plowman … needs to go back to the VFL

Plowman Jones Stocker
Saad Weitering Williams
O'Brien Cuningham Walsh
Martin CCurnow Silvagni
Honey McKay Durdin

TDK Dow Cerra

Kennedy McGovern Fisher Cripps
Sub: Williamson

This is assuming SPS is involved in a trade for Cerra, with our first round pick going to Fremantle.

Last edited:
Plowman Jones Stocker
Saad Weitering Williams
O'Brien Kennedy Cuningham
Martin CCurnow Silvagni
Honey McKay Durdin

TDK Dow Cerra

Cripps McGovern Fisher Williamson

This is assuming SPS is involved in a trade for Cerra, with our first round pick going to Fremantle.

Imagine if you could pencil in Marchbank, Cuningham and McGovern every week. Extremely frustrating.

Imagine if you could pencil in Marchbank, Cuningham and McGovern every week. Extremely frustrating.

Poor Caleb, he has just missed so much football. Even if he gets healthy, the first half of 2022 will be re-adjusting to full-time sports and how much the game has changed.

Cuningham is the crucial one that our adynamic midfield desperately needs.

It's a guess that no doubt will change, hard to name a side with best players but also best structure. Just want a team that will be physically up to it, hard at the contest and has the skills to move the ball and finish.

Don't want to be too slow up forward. Would like more pace down back and through the middle. Don't want poor kicks. Don't want players who don't tackle and stand up against physicality well. Want to be stronger and harder in the center square but must be able to run up and back.

Questions over the third tall. In defence it's Plowman but he just seems to be out of his depth against the better sides. We miss him when he is out because we have no one to replace him however if Marchbank came good and Kemp fulfilled his talent then you have two more talented and gifted players there. McGovern is written off because he hasn't been tried back but he's another who is more talented and gifted athletically.

Third tall up for grabs, Silvagni has been pretty good. McGovern teases us at times, we all know he could be really good. I don't think we should play both, we need to be much quicker and enduring up forward, our small forward pressure needs to lift. Really like the look of Durdin and Honey, they are locks for mine next year, they simply need to be playing AFL games.

I'm backing in O'Brien because I believe he is starting to mature and that he is coming good. Even though we have been poor at times since he has been in, I feel he has been good. We just need a stronger centre group to get the best out of him.

Philp on a wing. I rate Philp, I hope his groin has come good and he can get super fit, he just looks like a wingman to me, strong body, quick and willing to compete. He really just looks like a wingman.

Stocker if he can run is the answer to our onball issues. We need to be tougher and physically more competitive and aggressive in there. That's him, he runs straight lines, he's strong, he is aggressive.

The ?, it's going to come down to form and fitness and who wants it the most. There are a lot of options which is good but they need to put their hands up.

B: Williams Weitering ?
HB: Saad Jones Docherty
C: O'Brien Cripps Philp
HF: Honey Curnow Martin
F: Durdin McKay ?
OB: DeKoning Stocker Walsh
IC: Kennedy ? ? ?

Playing for the final spots:
Kemp Cuningham Fisher Ramsay Silvagni Owies Dow McGovern SPS Williamson Carroll Fogarty Plowman Marchbank Newman Curnow Plus Recruits

Poor Caleb, he has just missed so much football. Even if he gets healthy, the first half of 2022 will be re-adjusting to full-time sports and how much the game has changed.

Cuningham is the crucial one that our adynamic midfield desperately needs.

It will be a slow come back but like Charlie Curnow he has the advantage of being a natural elite runner. I feel if you have that natural endurance and pace then the road back isn't as long as it is for those who aren't as naturally blessed and have to work harder to get there. He also has a natural offensive footy IQ and you never lose that but it can take a few games to get it switched fully on. The big issue will be for him to have full confidence in his body and not be holding too much self preservation in his mind when playing. He's still a young man and a gifted athlete, I don't think we should write him off easily.

I think if all goes well he should be looking at playing some good footy by the later parts of next year and that should lead to another contract and a strong 2023 season. However we can't write off that he will be in the seniors for the last few games before finals next year ;)

Plowman Jones Stocker
Saad Weitering Williams
O'Brien Kennedy Cuningham
Martin CCurnow Silvagni
Honey McKay Durdin

TDK Dow Cerra

Cripps McGovern Fisher Williamson

I think if you try hard enough, you'll find a spot for Walsh :p

I know there’s still two rounds to go, trade period, draft and another pre-season…

Frankly, I had enough of this cursed season and looking forward to the next season.

We are likely to have a new coach and a different game plan.
Yep, lots of changes to come.
But, why not have a quick look at our best 22 for 2022.

I’m assuming that everyone is fit and ready to go, with the obvious retirements.
We are due for a bit of luck on the injury fronts!

Here are my thoughts – what are yours?
Having done my 22, yeah we could do with Cerra in the middle :D

FB: Plowman - Jones - Williams
HB: Saad - Weitering - Stocker
C: Docherty - Cripps - Martin
HF: Cunningham – C.Curnow - Fisher
FF: Owie - McKay - Honey

R: TDK - Walsh - Dow
Int: Kemp - JSOS – Fogarty – McGovern

Unlucky/ Depth
Newman – I just can’t find a spot for him
Kennedy – Should he play instead of Cunningham?
Marchbank - Super talented, but who knows
O'Brien – Is he sticking around?
SPS – Is he sticking around?

I’m not sold on these guys:
Michael Gibbons
Jack Newnes
Tom Williamson
Will Setterfield
Mark Pittonett

Kids (Let them earn their opportunities with no pressure)
Durdin
Carroll
Ramsay
Parks
Philp

I've had another look at the yesterday's side and just to highlight who in my best 22 that wasn't available yesterday.
Nine out of the 22 were not there - that's almost half of the team :eek:

Plowman - Jones - Williams
Saad - Weitering - Stocker
Docherty - Cripps - Martin
Cunningham
– C.Curnow - Fisher
Owie - McKay - Honey

TDK - Walsh - Dow
Kemp - JSOS Fogarty – McGovern

For me, without considering Cerra as an import, assuming Silvagni, SPS, Dow and LOB stay, assuming Ramsay/Philp aren’t seniors ready round one and assuming Doc is ready to go round one:

FB: Docherty, Weitering, Plowman*a
HB: Saad, Jones, Williams
C: Walsh, Cripps, LOB
HF: McGovern*b, Curnow, Martin
FF: Honey, McKay, Silvagni*b
R: TDK, Dow*c, Kennedy*c

INT:
Stocker, Owies*d, Fogarty*c, Newman*a

I know Honey and LOB have a small sample size but I have seen plenty encouraging signs there.

*a - pending Marchbanks fitness / Kemps progression
*b - pending coaching preference / number of talls / performance of Durdin, Fisher
*c - pending Cuningham’s fitness / their performances
*d - Fisher/Durdin could lay claim to this spot, Durdin looks unreal but he has played literally one senior game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back