NFL Best Active Player in the NFL Right Now

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Best Active Player in the NFL - Right Now

Its only opinion... The annoying thing is when people try and dress up opinion as undeniable fact :p

I'll have to go with Kerry Collins then ;)

But in all seriousness I'll go with ST, and say my fantasy stud Clinton Portis.

I've only been convinced of this the past few weeks, but I think Asomugha is probably the best CB in the league. Definite top 3. I saw him on screen once today and I don't think at all last week. They just don't throw anywhere near him for pretty much whole games. It's hard to call him the best in the league, but it is one of the hardest positions to play.
Rodgers and Cutler are probably the 2 QB's who are playing the best, but you can't say they are the best in the league overall.
Brady is the best in the league, i think, but considering this is for right now I have to go with someone like Champ Bailey or Asomugha or dare I say Brees as they all have a proven track record and are performing at their best.

Michael Turner anyone? has taken the load off Matt Ryan, and has been instrumental in the Falcons changed fortunes this year...
Great against shit opponents, shit against good... Not really the sort of stats of a great RB all the time... IMO :p

Great against shit opponents, shit against good... Not really the sort of stats of a great RB all the time... IMO :p

Even the great running backs struggle aginst the really good run defence teams. I'd agree with you though, Turner has been a bit up and down, mind you he is playing for the Falcons, who are up and down themselves!

Portis is definitely the cream of the crop at RB ATM, and he can catch the ball as well....

Without reading the rest of the thread, defensively, DeMarcus Ware deserves a worthy mention. Playing on a flop of a defence, but get's the job done every week. Sacks in 10 consecutive games now, 3.0 (to go with 7 tackles) in a horrid loss to St. Louis.

I gave my NFL regular season MVP award to Drew Brees. He only missed out by a meagre 15 yards of breaking the NFL record of one Dan Marino!! 1984.. that's a 24 season record still standing!! The Saints didn't make the play-offs either which makes the achievement just as remarkable!!

I knew exactly what I was doing when I picked him #1 in the BF fantasy draft. (a year early!) :( Also picked Brandon Jacobs. I would of destroyed you all. :D

I gave my NFL regular season MVP award to Drew Brees. He only missed out by a meagre 15 yards of breaking the NFL record of one Dan Marino!! 1984.. that's a 24 season record still standing!! The Saints didn't make the play-offs either which makes the achievement just as remarkable!!

I knew exactly what I was doing when I picked him #1 in the BF fantasy draft. (a year early!) :( Also picked Brandon Jacobs. I would of destroyed you all. :D

I dont agree with that. If he made the playoffs, there would of been more time control running game, but because they where down they passed.

Im suprised Kitna/Orlovosky/Culpepper didnt put up the most passing yards for the season,

I dont agree with that. If he made the playoffs, there would of been more time control running game, but because they where down they passed.

Im suprised Kitna/Orlovosky/Culpepper didnt put up the most passing yards for the season,

Not necassarily Riggy. If the Saints had a gung ho D... well, a 'D' period! that means more chance for Brees to SMASH the record because his D would not allow the Saints getting beat on the scoreboard plus more onfield action for Brees. Forget the Detriot QB saga.. they'll have to start-over and hope to not repeat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not necassarily Riggy. If the Saints had a gung ho D... well, a 'D' period! that means more chance for Brees to SMASH the record because his D would not allow the Saints getting beat on the scoreboard plus more onfield action for Brees. Forget the Detriot QB saga.. they'll have to start-over and hope to not repeat.

Yeah true that explains the Cardinals and the Colts as well.

I'd definitely say it was between Brees and Peyton. They both deserved it.

You know better than this Woodson.

If the Saints had a D they'd be a lot less pass yards for the QB. There would be a lot more running of the ball and a lot less desire to throw passes that are potentially 'risky' and could take away from a lead potentially earned with solid defense and lower-risk offense.

Heck we could say if the Vikings had a better D Culpepper would have smashed it in 2004... Gannon for the Raiders in 2002... etc...

I can't believe flogging everyone is giving this issue of a number that got 'close', even if he beat it this is not a forgone conclusion. TD's win games, Ints lose them, and yards are just yards.

Look at when the Saints lost and up the stretch when it mattered the most and playoff hopes were on the line... the Saints lost 3 games... two by 3 points... Brees interceptions for those games 3, 3 and 2.

Two other losses earlier in the season of 5 or fewer points Brees threw 2 interceptions.

He may have won them games with throws but he also lost games with his throws, a lot of weight on his shoulders I KNOW but the job didn't get done well enough at the end of the day. Many QB's have had similar seasons before him with 4000-5000 yards seasons, and even more TDs

Manning threw 3 Ints over the last 8 games... without a run game or a particularly good D. More importantly they made the playoffs with 12 wins.

Put it to rest (seen this talk on too many boards)

All INT's aren't equal Dan.

I agree Brees had a poor stretch late in the season but early on most of his INT's weren't because of poor passes.

I also don't agree Saints winning = less passing.

The stats don't back that up.

All INT's aren't equal Dan.

I agree Brees had a poor stretch late in the season but early on most of his INT's weren't because of poor passes.

I also don't agree Saints winning = less passing.

The stats don't back that up.

Well the poor stretch cost him MVP considerations, it irks me that people think he deserves strong consideration because of a bunch of yards that came so close to a record. This game isn't about record breaking...

The whole fact that you don't blame Brees for some of his interceptions is exactly why a team who wishes to contend would lean towards a more conservative attack and running the ball if the defense is holdings its own. As to avoid a tip or drop, or errant pass into a defenders hands that turns a game on its head that you control.

I'm sure any team that has ambitions of being successful in December and January would pursue a balanced attack. We KNOW this.

I don't expect you to agree, I've been around long enough ;) - the future will define if it is true or not. :thumbsu:

"Best player"...."Most Valuable Player"...."Most Valuable to their team"..."Would be better but has had injuries"...."Used to be good"....

Perpetual topic, only interesting if you're looking to update your Madden 09 player ratings to reflect current form.

OL are forever under-rated, no point having a good QB/RB if they cant do anything. Jeff Saturday one of the best.

I'd agree with gg Albert Haynesworth is devastating.

Well the poor stretch cost him MVP considerations, it irks me that people think he deserves strong consideration because of a bunch of yards that came so close to a record. This game isn't about record breaking...

The whole fact that you don't blame Brees for some of his interceptions is exactly why a team who wishes to contend would lean towards a more conservative attack and running the ball if the defense is holdings its own. As to avoid a tip or drop, or errant pass into a defenders hands that turns a game on its head that you control.

I'm sure any team that has ambitions of being successful in December and January would pursue a balanced attack. We KNOW this.

I don't expect you to agree, I've been around long enough ;) - the future will define if it is true or not. :thumbsu:

Why wouldn't I agree?

Of course you want a balanced attack. Who wouldn't?

I'd agree with gg Albert Haynesworth is devastating.

Never crossed my mind - its a shame.

Here is a question - did Albert Haynesworth dominate his position and the game more than Tom Brady did his in 2007? haha

Impossible to compare yet we compare QBs whom have different run game support, WR ability, play-calling and coaching, as well as those ever important offensive lines ;) Joy

Hardly putting my kneck on the line here but the best player in the NFL right now, as far as post-season impact goes has to be Fitzgerald. Has smashed records with one game to go. If he and Warner can connect for 100 yards again then that will probably determine the game.

Here is a question - did Albert Haynesworth dominate his position and the game more than Tom Brady did his in 2007? haha

I reverse this line of thinking and say - could Tom Brady do his job without the help of others? In turn - could Albert Haynesworth do his job without the help of others?

Brady - No
Haynesworth - Yes

Thats why I consider Defense and OL to be the most important positions.

However - to answer your questions danielz, no, nobody has ever dominated like Brady did in 07 :p
icon10.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL Best Active Player in the NFL Right Now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back