Best and Worst grounds in the VAFA

Remove this Banner Ad

young veteran

Rookie
Mar 3, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I've seen a bit of debate about the quality of some of the grounds in a number of threads so i thought i'd start up this thread.

For mine:

Worst: Brindisi, just way too small for senior football and a rubbish surface. Good bar though.
Melb High, we always seem to play there late in the season when its a bog, especially on that wing where the water runs down the hill (ridiculous design, not sure what the groundskeeper expects to happen).

Best: Junction, the best surface going around.
Trinity, great surface, good size.
Elsternwick, good size and usually if you're playing there you're in the finals!

Thoughts?

you can throw righetti oval in the worst category , thank god skobs are playing at elsternwick

although not a fun place to visit the snakepit. the new facilities are excellent

Gillon Oval at NOBS is the best. Big ground, great playing surface and some of the biggest away rooms in the VAFA

Homer101 said:
Gillon Oval at NOBS is the best. Big ground, great playing surface and some of the biggest away rooms in the VAFA

Have to agree with you Homer. The Gillon is a great size and great surface.

The away rooms are huge which is always good for a pre-game kick despite the "No ball games" sign.

Keilor Hill is also way up there now making huge improvements in the past few years.

Shame the same can't be said about Keilor Hill's away rooms... they make a shoe box look big.

Only played u'19s in sec 3 in 04-but old careys ground was the best surface hands down

worst , was when we played ajax at glen iras ground, had dirt to cover the synthetic cricket pithces and bumpy as

bullant10 said:
best:Old Carey good size, great facilities

Yeah, our grounds are pretty good - though I've only played Gramlick at present. Dunshea (main oval) is huge!

As I've only been in the VAFA 2 weeks can't really say too much. Yarra Valley is pretty ordinary h/ever

Keilor Hill oval is alright, but the away rooms were shocking on my last trip there. Tiny, and no hot water.

Haven't had a chance to play on Carey's oval. Only played there once in u/19s and we got shunted to the second oval because the 1s were using it. It does look very good though.

Gillon is solid, good size and good size rooms, but i don't think the surface is comparable to Trinity, Junction etc.

What's the obsession with Old Trinity's ground? It's upside down saucer configuration makes for some terribly muddy wings, and it's right out in the open for the elements to hammer. Not to mention that it's in Bulleen of all suburbs.

Uni Oval for mine, great surface to go with the historic charm of the Melbourne University Colleges overlooking the ground. It's also located in inner-city Parkville, what more could you ask for?

Yeah, good call on Uni Oval, i forgot about that one.

As for trinity, i guess i've only played there early in the season so i haven't seen it with much rain on it. When dry it looks amazing, the red and blue 45m lines don't hurt either.

young veteran said:
Yeah, good call on Uni Oval, i forgot about that one.

As for trinity, i guess i've only played there early in the season so i haven't seen it with much rain on it. When dry it looks amazing, the red and blue 45m lines don't hurt either.

Uni...are you serious...patchy rubbish.

Uni Blue- sh*t ground, sh*t rooms, sh*t players, sh*t blokes, sh*t club!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Snakepit has one of the best surfaces in the ammo's along with the best changerooms.

The worst is Rigetti by far. St.Kevins haven't moved to much either.

tell us what you really think Frog!

Here are my favorite:
Arden Street (OT played there in mid 90's) A cracker of a ground
junction oval - ripper to play on
Nobs ground (shame about the purple jumpers than hang around there...

(ALL EX VFA GROUNDS- WITH GREAT SURFACES AND GREAT VIBES)

WORST:
SALESIANS BOSCO ST RECTANGLE
ST BEDES
BANYULE
MUTTON RESERVE FAWKNER (DOWN RIGHT SCARY PLACE AT THE BEST OF TIMES)

Note: EP is too bloody windy

The Big Pineapple said:
That's a bit rich coming from you Froggie.

You and your mates from the pit are the biggest pot holes in the VAFA.

Worry about your own mob fruit.

Try and win something out at East Keilor Grammar.

Mentone/ StBedes Played there in late 80s one of my boots is still buried in the mud. After we came off the ground to the nice cold showers and washed all the mud off it looked like our legs had been attacked by a bunch of starving lions.
Nice blend of gravel, glass, shells, dirt oh and a size 9.5 footy boot.

Froggie! Didn't realise you were a Bernies boy! Bit jealous of the wonderful club down at Uni? When was the last time you beat Uni Blues? Of course Uni Blues is a s..t club, that's why two Bernards players went down there this year.

Keeping on the topic, another nomination for worst ground is Whitefriars. Despite having to have at least half a tank of fuel in the car to get out there, it feels like you're sitting at the base of the enchanted forest. All you're waiting for is the yowies to come running down from the hills.

Best ground is the junction, a pleasure to play football on followed by Mazenod's home ground. Gillon is a great ground with very good rooms but far too windy for mind. Played at the Gillon on a windy day and the ball went out of bounds on the grandstand side 25 times in a quarter.

Worst grounds, a lot to mention including MHSOB, EP, Righetti, Brindisi St, Glenhuntly Oval (overhanging tree) etc. By far the worst though is Victoria Road reserve where Old Carey C18 play (and Hawthorn Ammos did as well I think?). Uneven surface with mounds all over it and the type of ground you'd expect at a primary school - tap down out of the ruck and the ball is sailing over goal post height from the centre square.

bendigo said:
Froggie! Didn't realise you were a Bernies boy! Bit jealous of the wonderful club down at Uni? When was the last time you beat Uni Blues? Of course Uni Blues is a s..t club, that's why two Bernards players went down there this year.

Keeping on the topic, another nomination for worst ground is Whitefriars. Despite having to have at least half a tank of fuel in the car to get out there, it feels like you're sitting at the base of the enchanted forest. All you're waiting for is the yowies to come running down from the hills.

Wonderful club? They were a basketcase until John Kanis arrived. It also looked like a great function at the Leveson on Sat nite. Really wish i was apart of it.
The last time STB beat Uni will be round 5 this year.
And finally, those two players wouldn't get a look in our seniors so u can have them.

I do agree though, Whitefriars is a shocking ground.

Elsternwick Park is a disgrace. Why are the practice wickets on the half fwd flank? As for the centre.............

Every club pays upwards of $25 large in fees to the ammos - you'd reckon they would spend a dollar on the facilities there, and I don't mean the leather chairs in the committee room.

The Garvey at bundoora battles as well

On the Run said:
Worry about your own mob fruit.

Try and win something out at East Keilor Grammar.

East Keilor Grammar...?

I thought STB was a school for western suburbs catholics who couldn't afford to go to or didn't possess the academic ability to go to PEGS, had bad hairdos and/or didn't want to travel to Toorak and StKevins.

3rd rate school, 3rd rate blokes.

Slay Master G said:
East Keilor Grammar...?

I thought STB was a school for western suburbs catholics who couldn't afford to go to or didn't possess the academic ability to go to PEGS, had bad hairdos and/or didn't want to travel to Toorak and StKevins.

3rd rate school, 3rd rate blokes.

Wow, this coming from a man who thinks he's a B grade celebrity, who uses this forum to push up his own football talents and then comments on things to do with East Keilor Grammar when he did the Judas thing and went to Collegians.

BTW East Keilor Grammar = PEGS (just for future reference)

Remove this Banner Ad

Best and Worst grounds in the VAFA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back