Best attack v best defence....really? (GF week hyperbola)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a shithole exposed to the weather and is the longest flight time of all our away games. But other than that, yes, it's like the MCG and it's ironic that we complain about having to play there...

So in terms of ground dimensions its exactly the same as the MCG

As for it being a shit hole I assume you have been. Subiaco has to be one of the worst grounds I have been too, not only in Australia but across the globe.

I read the title and got excited, but I am disappoint. Where is the hyperbola?

hyperbola-6.gif

Linear Algebra board mate!

Why do some of you Hawks supporters take such umbrage to the fact you were outplayed in the QF?

It's evident you were, yet you just shut down with petty responses like 'West coast locks for premiers111!!!.'

NB Some of the Hawks fans in this thread is Hawkk are quite good.

Haha! Do you even football? Every supporter takes umbrage to losing! Especially in a final...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...s-a-risky-pick-for-hawks-20150929-gjxknh.html

"Why Brian Lake is a risky pick"

Essentially boils down to because he's too slow and immobile to play on Kennedy. Which would be sound reasoning if you didn't consider that Kennedy will most likely be taken by Frawley this time and that Lake will play loose or on the resting ruckman. Something the article actually does cover. So not sure what the risk is.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...s-a-risky-pick-for-hawks-20150929-gjxknh.html

Essentially boils down to because he's too slow and immobile to play on Kennedy. Which would be sound reasoning if you didn't consider that Kennedy will most likely be taken by Frawley this time and that Lake will play loose or on the resting ruckman. Something the article actually does cover. So not sure what the risk is.
West Coast don't actually rest a ruckman forward for huge amounts of game time so then what?

Lake has aged a lot this year ..

Sinclair, Nic Nat darling Kennedy ....lake wouldn't stay with any of them on a lead

Lake may play lose ......but the Eagles forwards move a lot

Its a bit ironic that the non Victorian clubs complain about York Park (175sqm x 145sqm) when it is the closest venue the AFL has to the MCG (171sqm x 146sqm) in terms of size and dimensions.

It's also a major reason why Hawthorn's agreement with Tasmania has worked so well for the club given they typically play anywhere from 70% to 80% of their Victorian fixtures at the MCG...it basically means the club has anywhere from 70% to 80% of their home and away games on a venue with the same dimensions as the MCG
Not sure where you got your MCG dimensions from but afl website (and others) have it as 160m x 141m, so not same dimensions as York Park.

btw, what's with the "sqm"?

West Coast don't actually rest a ruckman forward for huge amounts of game time so then what?

Lake shouldn't play IMO

Frawley is our best match up with Kennedy (and its not even close), Gibson to take Darling, Stratton can play big / small, Schoenmakers can swing between attack / defence and McEvoy can provide support in the backline

Playing Lake on Kennedy was an absolute disaster in the QF

So then he plays loose where he can and gets a heap of intercept marks. There won't be room for direct leads that he can't keep up on if our midfield pressure slows West Coast entries. If that midfield pressure isn't there then defending leads becomes an almost impossible task even for the fittest and fastest defenders in the league.

Lake could also sit at full forward and take marks 20m out. A better forward option than Frawley against West Coast.

Lake has aged a lot this year ..

Sinclair, Nic Nat darling Kennedy ....lake wouldn't stay with any of them on a lead

Lake may play lose ......but the Eagles forwards move a lot
Lake is full of surprises. People said Tom Hawkins could beat him by dragging him up the field. Lake went up the field himself at one point and I believe he kicked a goal on him in one game.

He's looked very poor and slow at times over the last few years but he has always come good for the big games.

Like I said, if the midfield pressure is good then the ball will come in slower and higher and he will be evenly matched or better with his opponent. If the midfield pressure is lacking and West Coast can get quick transition through the middle and into leading forwards with space then he will be exposed against any opponent - as would most any defender in the league.

Not sure where you got your MCG dimensions from but afl website (and others) have it as 160m x 141m, so not same dimensions as York Park.

btw, what's with the "sqm"?

I stand corrected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_Cricket_Ground#cite_note-1

Naturally this does not include the boundary lines...

MCG - 160m x 141m
Subiaco Oval - 175.6m x 122.4m
Ethiad Stadium - 158.5m x 128.8m
Adelaide Oval - 190m x 125m
Spotless Stadium 164m x 127.5m
York Park - 175m x 145m
Bellrieve Oval - 160m x 124m
GABBA - 156m x 138m
ANZ Stadium - 159.5m x 128.8m
Metricon Stadium - 160m x 134m

From the last page...

West Coast's record at Subiaco - 12 wins, 2 losses 1594/903 (174.3%)
West Coast's record away from Subiaco - 6 wins, 1 draw, 3 losses 932/788 (118%)

Of West Coast's 10 games away from Subiaco, the Eagles played at the following venues -
Docklands (158.5m x 128.5m) - 2 wins, 1 loss 305/231 (133%)
Adelaide Oval (190m x 125m) - 1 win, 1 loss 147/194 (75.77%)
MCG (160m x 141m) - 1 win, 0 losses 90/70 N/A
Marrara Oval (I can't get anyone to confirm the dimensions?) - 1 win, 0 losses 114/60 N/A
Metricon Stadium (160m x 134m) - 1 draw 83/83 N/A
Bellrieve Oval (160m x 124m) - 0 wins, 1 loss 75/85 N/A

Hawthorn's record at the MCG and York Park - 11 wins, 3 losses 1536/904 (169.11%)
Hawthorn's record away from MCG / York Park - 7 wins, 4 losses 1216/868 (140%)

Of Hawthorn's 11 games away from the MCG / York Park...

Docklands (158.5m x 128.5m) - 3 wins, 1 loss 521/282 (184%)
Subiaco (175.6m x 122.4m) - 2 wins, 1 loss 246/237 (103.7%)
Adelaide Oval (190m x 125m) - 1 win, 1 loss 205/184 (111.4%)
ANZ Stadium (159.5m x 128.8m) - 1 win, 0 losses 146/57 N/A
Showgrounds (164m x 127.5m) - 0 wins, 1 loss 98/108

As for sqm, I must have had a mind blank yesterday. It's clearly not square metres...

Last edited:
I stand corrected.
All good. Doesn't change the general gist of your posts which ring true. Both MCG and York Park, with their wide expanses, perfectly suit Hawthorn's game style.

For me the Hawks' biggest strength is their spread. Restricting Hill, Smith, Breust and Puopolo and minimising their influence will be the key to Eagles giving themselves a chance.

All good. Doesn't change the general gist of your posts which ring true. Both MCG and York Park, with their wide expanses, perfectly suit Hawthorn's game style.

For me the Hawks' biggest strength is their spread. Restricting Hill, Smith, Breust and Puopolo and minimising their influence will be the key to Eagles giving themselves a chance.

We don't really know what impact the wider ground will have on the Eagles (they are 2-0 on the wider grounds) but theoretically it should help its ruck ascendancy and targets up forward

The Eagles are unknown which is my only reason for the inflated Hawthorn price at the bookmakers (1.60 v 2.40)

Remove this Banner Ad

Best attack v best defence....really? (GF week hyperbola)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back