rubbers0ul

All Australian
Sep 14, 2005
a-town
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
centrals
INXS or ACDC for the best Australian bands/singer that cracked the overseas market?

your thoughts?

any others?

Although not my fav, but kylie's up there.

In terms of success in the American market, the Little River Band really impressed back in the later 70's. ACDC and INXS you would think were the best performing acts from Australia. Kylie Minogue early and late in her career achieved quite a bit in UK and US.

Acca Dacca by the length of about 200 MCG's. No one has had such a sustained run of MEGA-success. No one comes even remotely close. INXS were big internationally for about 3 minutes on one album. Kylie's not even a musician, she's just a well marketed puppet.
AC/DC started really coming to international prominence with Highway to Hell in '79, Back in Black is still one of the hugest selling albums in Rock history, and they have been massive, and massively influential, for the almost 30 years later.
This is a no-contest.

Roddy said:
INXS were big internationally for about 3 minutes on one album.

You realise Rockstar: INXS was an american show right? which would kinda suggest they are just pretty big in America (big as in known).

AC/DC by a mile. Nick Cave has a lot of respect from a number of International Artists, he was very big in Britain during the punks years in the 80's.

The JETS are huge in Bali or so the barman at the Hard Rock told me :p

Catnip said:
The best Australian Music Export was the Bee Gees. The problem is, they came back.

:D

Midnight Oil would be in the top 10 exports & while they wouldn't have had as much success as bands like AC/DC they still deserve a mention.

Also in Ac/dc news i've been informed that their new albulm will be released in mid November.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oils are similar to INXS, only their international fame last about a minute and a half.
AC/DC overrated? Up to, and including Back in Black, NO FUKCING WAY!!!!! Post BinB, and especially for the last 15 years???? Abso-fukcing-lutely......

Little River Band. Really made inroads in the American charts. the song "lonesome looser" was everywhere on American FM radio in 1979, and they had many hits and albums that did really well.

Black In Black is inside the top ten US best sellers though

mantis said:
Easybeats.
Good call Mantis.Don't agree necessarily wrt BIGGEST, but they were a fair bit more successful overseas than people care to remember.I guess it depends on what you consider overseas.I would love to add LRB because I think they had the biggest musical effect in the US along with Men at work.I've always been a bigger fan of Reminiscing than I was of Down Under, but they were nonetheless a hit there.In fact MAW were a huge hit in Brazil, of all places.England? who cares.Their tastes have been going down hill since about 1975, besides they probably shade us a little wrt exports.

My boys INXS
inxs7.jpg

And AC/DC of course.

if 'welcome to whereever you are' (inxs '92 album) was marketed oveseas properly it would have been a massive album, arguably bigger then anything ACDC ever did

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Australian Music Export

Remove this Banner Ad

Back