Best cricket win

Remove this Banner Ad

ajackett110

All Australian
Aug 17, 2002
What was the best ever win you ever played in or witnessed at club level or school level? Here we go with mine...

March 2002 - College State Final (I was captain :cool: )

We had to travel up to the north of Tassie to play a team previously undefeated in their 15 matches for the season. On the first day they won the toss and had a bat. They scored 10/337 off their 100 overs and we had to bat for 8 overs that night to be 0/20 overnight.

The next morning we lost the first wicket early to be 1/25, and I came into bat - I was not even meant to play as i had broken my hand 2 days before and could hardly hold the bat - but anyway, we lost our other opener, 4 & 5 (three extremely good batsmen) to be reeling at 4/50 off 30 overs :eek: This is when the turnaround came. No. 6 batsman and I put on 189 for the 5th wicket, until we both fell just before tea with the score on 6/240. I got 95, he got 89. It was then up to our tail to get the last hundred runs... neway we got to 9/310 with the number 11 having his first hit for the season, with only 6 overs to go we needed 38 runs. We got down to the last over with 5 runs to get. 1st ball - chipped to square leg... dropped, 1 run. 2nd ball - No. 11 has a big swing and flies between cover and point... safe, 1 run. 3rd ball - played along ground to square leg, misfield... 4 runs!!!! It was the sweetest victory ever as we were extreme underdogs, despite having 2 U/17 state members, and a further 3 in the squad!

What is your most memorable match?? - do not hav to b quite this long :D

Lower Eltham v Eltham Under 16 A's in 1999/00 at Lower Eltham Park

Eltham batted first on a wet day, we were 8/27 at tea and I had just arrived at the crease batting at number 9. (The batting order had bee moved around for this game). From memory I was on 1*. I remember teammates hitting catches at drinks and I sat down and said "sit the **** down, we're still going and will be for a while". As we walked back out, my batting partner got a blood nose and had to retire hurt untill the bleeding stopped so the number 11 had to come out (RIP Jack :(). I just said to him, because he really wasn't a good bat "hang in there as long as you can". It equated to around 2 overs lol and the number 10 came back out. It was now 9/31. Long story turned short we got to 137. I played the anchor roll and got 40, Dave made 65* smashing the bowling. Held them to around 110 the next week and revelled in the glory.

My cricket team were only 25 runs from a loss. The other team had 9 wickets in hand... and yes, we got them all out and won!!
9/13 we took from that point on, in one of my favourite wins!! They dropped quicker than anything!! One guy got 4/3, and this other guy 3/2!!!! :D:D

Most satisfying win i was ever involved in was about 5 years ago now, and we were playing a team that the year before we had beaten in the semi final by about 80 runs. This team then appealed the result on the strenght of a guideline from the DVCA as to the amount of overs an U16 player can bowl (this is in seniors). The stupid thing was that this was only a guideline and was not to be made an official rule until the next season, and they won the appeal and we were out of the finals.

Anyway the next season we played them again and needless to say it was a very firey game, a few guys were nearly hit with cricket bats as batsman walked off after being dismissed.

We bowled first and dismissed them for 100, i think. We thought it would be an easy game from then on. We had about 5 overs to face that night, i went in as nightwatchman at no.3 after we were 1/0, i was at the other end as we were 2/0, and then i got given out for my only duck of the season (had i not made that duck i would have everaged 64 for the season). Also it was a shocking decision, i'm 6 foot 5 (6'3 back them)and the ball hit me in the thigh, after hitting the bat. Sorry getting sidetracked. Anyway, overnight we were 3/1. We eventually reached 7/39. One bloke who was dropped at 1st slip on his 1st ball proceeded to smash them all over the park andreach 172 n.o. We were all out for 292 with about 20 overs left in the day. The way this guy was hitting them he could have made 300 if someone stayed with him. It was the most incredible innings i've ever seen.

Another game, involving my best friend, he was at a different school at the time!

School cricket - My friends team (rokeby) had about 4 junior tassie squad members and the other team were a bunch of *******s - Anyway, Rokeby bowled the other team out for 6 - one guy took 6/1!

I have never forgotten a Grand Final I played in. All season we were the best side by a mile winning every match outright, and had not made a team total lower than 228 all season.
Come the Grand Final and we were all out for 98, of which I managed 4 runs (significant in the finish).
The other team were 6/96, needing only 3 to win, and we took all 4 remaining wickets for 0 runs. Poetic justice really.

Way back in season 1996/97, in the Aberfeldie CC 2nd XI, we finished fourth and played against Richmond Union, at their ground in the Semi Final (VTCA Nth B2). We batted first and after the openers put on 40 or so, we were bowled out for around 120. I made 24 batting at 5 with wickets falling pretty regularly.

Overnight we had them 3/50, so were hopeful that we could win. Th next day we bowled them out for around 90 afer they got to 5 or 6 for about 80, and I took 4/6 to clean up the tail (I had 1 for overnight)! Every bloke in the team bowled and fielded like their life depended on it.

Doesn't sound much, but it was the first time I'd played in a winning Semi-Final, after a few years earlier playing in a team that got bowled out for 9 in a semi - my only other senior grade final!). So to win through to a GF, which we went on to win, was a great feeling.

Even though I have played in (being 12th man on one occasion) 2 more premierships since, the feeling after that game was the best I'd experienced after a game of cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best cricket win

Remove this Banner Ad

Back