Best doggies games as a fan

Remove this Banner Ad

spindles11

Team Captain
Aug 2, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Was talking with the old boy about the best games we have watched together (live or on TV) aside from the 2016 GF. Ones that came to mind in no order:

1. When we knocked off the Swans up there in 2015- no one gave us any chance and it was so cool seeing the players just grow in confidence after that game.
2. The hawks semi final. Thought we were gone after they kicked the first couple. Easton wood with a true captain's goal to kickstart us
3. West coast elim- was nice just being able to see us cruise in a final. The pressure was something else!

Over to you, what are some other games that are the best you've seen?

2016 PF definitely up there

1985 vs Hawthorn second last round of the year. Wind blowing hard to the Barkly St end and no one had scored a goal at the Geelong Rd end.
In 3rd qtr Doug Hawkins kicked a goal down that end and it was worth 5 goals.
We won a tight game and secured top 3 finish.
We won by 5 points pretty sure we won.
A side note to this game. I was waiting eagerly for the final siren and a train went past and put the loudest horn on and I jumped onto the ground thinking was the siren and quickly realised that it was not the siren.
Please let me know if I have any of this wrong I was very young and going by memory

Favorite win each year under Bevo for me.

2015: For sure has to be that swans game at the SCG. That was just absolutely amazing and probably one of our best home and away wins ever.

2016: The Prelim! Is there any question about that!?

2017: Not much from this year. Remember just beating North when Stringer missed the goal but it put us a point up with under a minute left.

2018: Beating Geelong after Harry Taylor missed that set shot was just amazing. For the team we had on the day we also played very very well too.

2019: Has to be the 21 goals in a row Essendon belting right? Just pure joy that was.

2020: Beating West Coast by a few points late in the season to keep us alive was great.

2021: Most would say the Brisbane semi. But i'm going Round 2 vs West Coast when Bont kicked the sealer. That was when I knew we were a serious threat that year and it was an amazing game to watch.

2022: Beating Melbourne with the amazing sealer from JUH was amazing. The whole night it looked like we were gonna just loose then somehow kicked the last few goals. Even the Melbourne players looked shocked.

2023: Beating Geelong down there in the final round was nice even tho it meant nothing for our finals chances.

So far this year its probably last weeks win or the Collingwood win that takes the cake.

2016 semi against hawks for me, the pure joy of that game, huge crowd at the g, bont owning hodge, it was just a beautiful night at the footy

the prelim against gws was too stressful & yes i did cry after that one, delicious tears of absolute ecstasy :'(

the 2015 sydney game probably 2nd for me, that's when i knew we were going to wing the flag the next year

All the games mentioned above were terrific games ... my footy memory only goes back to 2005.

This year, the Sydney game, even though we lost, was fantastic all things considered. The game just gone against the Blues was a great game to watch. Even as a neutral, you could only enjoy watching that game. I know we smashed a Freo team that was being lauded after their Melbourne win, but I think Carlton and Sydney are our 2 best performances this year ... character wise.

Bevo era…

GF and Prelim the obvious ones.

Rd 1 2016 against Freo needs a mention. It confirmed 2015 wasn’t a one off and there was something special brewing. Crows game at Marvel earlier that same year was pretty good too. Genuine shootout with us finishing with Bont kicking a huge sealer from outside 50.

Memories cooked these days so can’t remember many from the past. One that stands out though is the 1997 first final against the Swans. 10 goal opening quarter, I thought we were a moral to win the flag at that moment. The shine of that game somewhat mattes away knowing what happens a few weeks later. Still a game I have fond memories of.

Last edited:
The Kel15:9 game was awesome, many in 85 tho can’t remember them now apart from the last one :(, 97 finals were awesome with Cookie starring, the one where we beat Essendon when they were undefeated - 2000?, around 2003 when we had been down and Willie, Griff and Cooney were just starting out we beat top teams Cats and Brisbane two weeks running, the 25 goals straight against Essendon and 2015 v Swans was special plus all Stringer’s displays that year…. 2016 not bad either was it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Favorite win each year under Bevo for me.

2015: For sure has to be that swans game at the SCG. That was just absolutely amazing and probably one of our best home and away wins ever.

2016: The Prelim! Is there any question about that!?

2017: Not much from this year. Remember just beating North when Stringer missed the goal but it put us a point up with under a minute left.

2018: Beating Geelong after Harry Taylor missed that set shot was just amazing. For the team we had on the day we also played very very well too.

2019: Has to be the 21 goals in a row Essendon belting right? Just pure joy that was.

2020: Beating West Coast by a few points late in the season to keep us alive was great.

2021: Most would say the Brisbane semi. But i'm going Round 2 vs West Coast when Bont kicked the sealer. That was when I knew we were a serious threat that year and it was an amazing game to watch.

2022: Beating Melbourne with the amazing sealer from JUH was amazing. The whole night it looked like we were gonna just loose then somehow kicked the last few goals. Even the Melbourne players looked shocked.

2023: Beating Geelong down there in the final round was nice even tho it meant nothing for our finals chances.

So far this year its probably last weeks win or the Collingwood win that takes the cake.
2017 round 1 v Pies when Cloke goaled….i went to that game and was in the Collingwood presidents dinner with a mate….all I was hoping all night was that we’d still be good after a flag….we weren’t (although we did win that game)

Personal Favourite

Rd 11 2000 Subiaco

WB 27.12.174 def Fremantle 12.9.81

Celebrated my 26th birthday with a day at Belmont (with a reasonable return on the punt), then headed to Subiaco and onto the ground with the cheersquad to help with the banner before being treated to an avalanche of goals with Libba Snr, Jose and Westy Snr putting on a masterclass in the middle. Reasonably strong celebrations after the game!

A match that comes to mind was a game against Richmond in which Boyd and Griffin starred. If I remember correctly we gave them a thrashing too. I don't recall the year but will try to look it up later.
cheers S

A match that comes to mind was a game against Richmond in which Boyd and Griffin starred. If I remember correctly we gave them a thrashing too. I don't recall the year but will try to look it up later.
cheers S
2006, Rd 1. We won by 115 points and Griffen said they didn't try. Big hoo hah about it if I remember correctly.

Bit of a more obscure one:

2015 and our first game against GWS with Griffen since he was traded. GWS had been massively hyped up as genuine contenders and we went in as underdogs to then go ahead and give them an absolute bath. Picken went straight to Griffen before the first bounce and got right in his face. Minson had to negotiate his way out of suspension for some weird contact with an umpire instance. He had to pay a $7000 fine to play that day, and he played an excellent game. After the match he autographed a fan's footy and he wrote "Best $7k ever spent."

There was something different about footy back then when you had guys like Liam Picken who gave their heart and soul to the club. You could tell he genuinely hated Griffen for the cowardly way he left our club, and that made the match and the win so much more satisfying. Since then footy has started to feel more like a job to the players without the level of passion that could cause players to genuinely hate each other. Maybe that's healthier but it feels like we lost something when we traded in stories and narratives for statistics.

Round 13 1978 - Templeton kicks 15 goals

2 June 1984 - Dogs beat Collingwood after Graeme Allen, with Collingwood just in front, kicked across goal with seconds left on the clock to have his kick marked by Beasley directly in front of goal. Edmonds advice to Allen after Beasley took the mark was the highlight.

2016 - Beating the pretend Plastic team and then winning the GF

Last edited:
Bevo era…

GF and Prelim the obvious ones.

Rd 1 2016 against Freo needs a mention. It confirmed 2015 wasn’t a one off and there was something special brewing. Crows game at Marvel earlier that same year was pretty good too. Genuine shootout with us finishing with Bont kicking a huge sealer from outside 50.

Memories cooked these days so can’t remember many from the past. One that stands out though is the 1997 first final against the Swans. 10 goal opening quarter, I thought we were a moral to win the flag at that moment. The shine of that game somewhat mattes away knowing what happens a few weeks later. Still a game I have fond memories of.

Round 1 16 was a cracker of a game - that was a major announcement that we were going to be one hell of a side.

The port win in Adelaide in 16 was also a ripper - the Bont and Stringer just tore them a new one.

Stingers burst goal out of the middle was one of the best goals I have ever seen.Such a shame - he could have been anything.

Loved the early 17 game against the swans at Marvel - picko running the length of the ground and kicking top of the square to Bont to ice the game.

I could back into the archives - was at the 78 game as a kid when Kelvin kicked 15, was at the game where Carlton scored 1 goal for the entire game with a minute to go, was at the gubby Allen to Beasley stuff up, saw the dogs destroy Essendon in 85 at the whitten oval. saw us smash the saints in 85 by over 100 at Moorabbin.

Plenty of great wins….and a few heartbreakers

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I loved the PF against Port Adelaide in 2021. After attending so many losing PF it was a pleasure to sit back and watch this stress free.

Another I liked was against Richmond during the McCartney era, they were already a good side and expected to beat us, but we stood up, and super sub Gia iced the game.

So many to choose from.

The 2016 PF and GF are standouts of course. Can't be beaten.

The 1999 come from 40 points down win against the Crows was epic.

The 2000 flood win over the Bombers. I think I nearly fell from Level 3 that night I was so excited.

But, a couple from my childhood, both in 1992.

This match v WCE was played at WO on a Sunday afternoon following a downpour. Mid winter, coldest I've ever been in my life standing on the terraces at the Barkly Street end. Loved every second.

This one also from 1992 against the Hawks. Screamed my little voice hoarse this day, a belter of a win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best doggies games as a fan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back