Best doggies games as a fan

Remove this Banner Ad

Keeping it only to games I’ve been able to attend, the 2016 elimination final v West Coast at Subiaco.

7 goals up pretty early and a nervous wreck all the way through as there was always time in my eyes, kind of softened a bit when they announced the crowd number and thanks for the support throughout the season in what must have been the early 4th quarter. Even then I remarked it was a bit early, in hindsight the game was long over.

Shutting up over 40,000 Eagle fans was bliss and only like the 2nd game I’ve seen us win in WA, so I think it’s why it meant a lot to me lol

In more recent times would be when we beat the Saints by 100+ a couple of years ago, didn’t expect it so be such a domination. Also happy I was there when Bruce kicked 10 on Norf’s head.

1985 Western Oval (as it was called then). Match of the Day on Seven's Big League between Footscray and Essendon.
After an even 1st half the Doggies explode and blow the Bombers away with 7 goals to nil in the 3rd quarter in front of 33,600+.

1997 Qualifying Final v Sydney Swans. Went into the game as underdogs against the AFL's glamour team, but a 9 goal opening quarter burst blew the Bloods out of the water, with the Dogs cruising to a big win that ended the Swans season.

2006, Rd 1. We won by 115 points and Griffen said they didn't try. Big hoo hah about it if I remember correctly.
That's the match and regarding Griffen, I recall the comment as well. Spot on.

2016 Prelim, then daylight.
Agree. Also 28 July 2000 when we beat Essendon. Massive last quarter. I was on call and received a call from work about some IT problem. Told them it could wait!

1985 Western Oval (as it was called then). Match of the Day on Seven's Big League between Footscray and Essendon.
After an even 1st half the Doggies explode and blow the Bombers away with 7 goals to nil in the 3rd quarter in front of 33,600+.

1997 Qualifying Final v Sydney Swans. Went into the game as underdogs against the AFL's glamour team, but a 9 goal opening quarter burst blew the Bloods out of the water, with the Dogs cruising to a big win that ended the Swans season.

Yes, that Swans Qualifying Final (back before the Swans were the whinging, moaning, salty lot they are today).

I remember that first quarter and we kicked 9.5 to 0.5 and after the disaster that was 96, it felt like a dream.

That was a game.

One that hasn't been mentioned was the thrashing we gave Top 4 Freo at Marvel in 2010 after we sacked Aker for trying to deliberately fracture the club for the sake of his monumental ego.

I remember being in a sea of passionate Dogs fans on the city-side wing on Lvl 1. The atmosphere was electric and I remember thinking to myself that it felt emblematic that a club that had for so long been accused of valuing individual performances and achievements over the greater good of the team had decided to take an important stand to right the ship.

On MIX 2S using BigFooty.com mobile app

I say the best game and best win I have attended by a mile is the Preliminary Final 2016 against. The game was pulsating with contest after contest for the whole game. After losing so many prelims the atmosphere was electric with the doggies supporters especially in the last quarter with fears it could be pinched again and we would not make the big dance.

Standout moments were

The 3rd quarter goal of Caleb Daniel where we just kept forcing the ball forward without a kick and Clay put in an almighty contest to allow Caleb to goal.

4th Quarter Bont goal to put us in front after a Matthew Boyd toe poke landed with JJ who broke and dashed down the field to give the ball to Bont who paddled the ball and put it through on the run

4th quarter Jacko's goal after a deft tap from Bont to Libba who kicked to Jacko who goaled from a mark.

I remember it like yesterday.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I say the best game and best win I have attended by a mile is the Preliminary Final 2016 against. The game was pulsating with contest after contest for the whole game. After losing so many prelims the atmosphere was electric with the doggies supporters especially in the last quarter with fears it could be pinched again and we would not make the big dance.

Standout moments were

The 3rd quarter goal of Caleb Daniel where we just kept forcing the ball forward without a kick and Clay put in an almighty contest to allow Caleb to goal.

4th Quarter Bont goal to put us in front after a Matthew Boyd toe poke landed with JJ who broke and dashed down the field to give the Bont who paddled the ball and put through on the run

4th quarter Jacko's goal after a deft tap from Bont to Libba who kicked to Jacko who goaled from a mark.

I remember it loke yesterday.
And in the last few seconds Jake gets it passes to Dicko and it’s all over! Libba and his missus hug with joy and we all feel the same way :rainbow:

Far from the best, but another memorable game was the final H&A game in 2009 at Marvel. We went into the match sitting 4th, against 3rd place Collingwood (4 points and 3% ahead), with the risk to drop to 5th on percentage with a bad loss.

When it became apparent that 5th was out of the question, the focus turned to whether we could take 3rd spot (and avoid playing St Kilda in week 1, who were flag favourites at the time, and instead play Geelong who we'd beaten 2 weeks earlier). A last minute goal by Brad Johnson brought the final score to 100-76, which was enough to steal 3rd spot by 2 points. Was a pretty exciting finish for live ladder enthusiasts.

Last edited:
The interstate victories against the odds are the best.

Without stating the obvious ones that have already been mentioned, a few others that come to mind:

Round 15, 1995 v WCE at Subiaco
WCE were extremely difficult to beat at home. Prior to this match, WCE had won all seven matches against us in Perth by an average margin of 51 points. WCE had won the premiership the year before and had easily been the most dominant team in the proceeding three seasons. No one gave us any chance of upsetting them and in the end we did it quite comfortably on a late Sunday afternoon. This victory was made all the more sweeter because it was during a period where we played our best footy under Alan Joyce. We went six games unbeaten and it kick-started our midseason revival and charge towards finals.

Round 6, 1997 v WCE at the WACCA
This is the match that got everyone talking and continues to be underrated whenever this topic is revisited. I used to enjoy reading the Friday Herald Sun back in those days to see everyone's Footy Tips. Everyone except for the Kiss of Death tipped WCE, so effectively no one thought we'd win. WCE were on top of the ladder and were probably close to premiership favourites. We were coming off a disastrous 1996 and weren't expected to do anything of significance in Wallace's first full season as coach. Our form, despite being 3-2, was a little indifferent prior to that match.

Round 10, 1999 V Brisbane
Played in an absolute down poor, this was an important game between two top-four hopefuls. Only 15 goals were kicked, but it showcased true Bulldog spirit. We loved it in the wet. Game was made famous by Libba scratching (eye gouging) a BL opponent (Craig Macrae comes to mind, or maybe Steven Lawrence).

Round 13, 2006 v WCE at Subiaco
I remember this game for a few reasons. Obviously it was a game we weren't expected to win, given WCE had lost the GF the previous year and would go on to win that season's premiership. Shaun Higgins in only his fourth game dislocated his elbow and would miss the remainder of the season. That added to our growing injury list. Adam Cooney also broke Dean Cox's collarbone with a solid hip-and-shoulder. The lead changed several times throughout the match, but Brian Harris saved us in the dying stages with a similar mark to the 'Leo Barry you star' from 9 months earlier.

Not funnily enough, we'd go on to lose to Brisbane and WCE (1999 and 2006) in that season's finals.

Standout moments were

4th Quarter Bont goal to put us in front after a Matthew Boyd toe poke landed with JJ who broke and dashed down the field to give the Bont who paddled the ball and put through on the run

I remember it loke yesterday.

I reckon I’ve watched it north of 500 times

I enjoyed that final years ago when Brodie Holland knocked out one of ours. I think it was Monty??

Pies fans were so cocky that day at the G.

2016 Prelim
&
2016 Semi final

Had the pleasure to travel for the prelim and also attend the 2016 semi final at the G.

Smoking the hawks that convincingly and then the emotional torment and relief of all the bulldog fans after the GWS prelim, running around drunk on the ground afterwards.

A lot of tears, a lot of drunk people, a lot of frustration at Sydney's lockout laws that evening.

R16 1988 at the MCG v Kangaroos.

I was young at the time, but have a very distinct memory of this game. We were something like 4 goals down in the last quarter. We kicked 9 in a row to win by 25 odd points.

Just for games I have attended there's no going past the 2016 PF as most here have already said.

It sounds odd to say this but it was a much greater emotional high than the following week when we collected the premiership cup (I was there for that too). The PF was a better game too. The GF just seemed like a victory lap after our massive giant-killing effort the previous week.

That whole finals series was at a completely different level to any sequence of games I've seen in more years supporting the Dogs than I care to relate.

One game that I don't think has got a mention yet was our 115 point win over the Tigers in Rd 1 2006 at Docklands (167-52). I took my Tigers-supporting brother and to his eternal credit he stayed right to the final siren. At the time it was our second biggest win ever (now our third best following the Josh Bruce goalfest against North in 2021). It remains our 7th highest score ever. Safe to say with a percentage of 321.2 we were on top of the ladder after Round 1. (Geelong had a piddling 302.6% in second.)

2009 Round 14 against the Hawks when we were up 88-4 at half time.
Living in Perth I don't get to see many games live, however Mrs Stevie and I were there that night and was a memorable experience for us too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best doggies games as a fan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back