Best doggies games as a fan

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2021 prelim v Port was a cracker. We'd gone around the country to play in various states, been quarantined in hotel rooms, lost Bruce for the season and Weightman and Keath for the prelim, while Port had a healthy list and a home prelim. We came in with no chance and belted them from the first bounce.
Yes, and the game the week before was pretty good too 🙂

Round 12, 2000 vs Melbourne. Melbourne led by 34 points at half time. I listened to the game on radio. At one point a goal to the Demons during the second term caused none other than Tony Leonard to declare "It's all over, red rover!" The Dogs came back after half time and won by 25.
1st semi final, 2010 vs Sydney. We had been 30 points down and came back to win by 5. After seeing narrow finals defeats in 1985, 1997, 1999 and 2009 it was great to finally win a tight final.
Round 17, 1990 vs Collingwood. We led Collingwood by 3-4 goals for the first three quarters and then Collingwood came back at us during the last term. They were in front until Steve Kolyniuk ran around Graeme Wright to kick a dashing goal accompanied by Bruce McAvaney's commentary, "Will he take Wright on? Yes he does. I thought he would!"

Round 12, 2000 vs Melbourne. Melbourne led by 34 points at half time. I listened to the game on radio. At one point a goal to the Demons during the second term caused none other than Tony Leonard to declare "It's all over, red rover!" The Dogs came back after half time and won by 25.
1st semi final, 2010 vs Sydney. We had been 30 points down and came back to win by 5. After seeing narrow finals defeats in 1985, 1997, 1999 and 2009 it was great to finally win a tight final.
Round 17, 1990 vs Collingwood. We led Collingwood by 3-4 goals for the first three quarters and then Collingwood came back at us during the last term. They were in front until Steve Kolyniuk ran around Graeme Wright to kick a dashing goal accompanied by Bruce McAvaney's commentary, "Will he take Wright on? Yes he does. I thought he would!"
That last one with the Kolyniuk goal was epic, went with my Pies supporting in laws 😎

That last one with the Kolyniuk goal was epic, went with my Pies supporting in laws 😎
Was the first game of AFL I ever saw. Had arrived in the country the previous Thursday. Led to me following the Dogs.

I had no idea what was going on, other than the fact James Manson looked awful when kicking the ball.

Not in the top handful of games, but I do remember being absolutely up and about when Wayde Skipper kicked his bag of 5 goals on Matthew Scarlett as we beat the Cats in Rd 17 2005.

We went from 6-10 to finish 11-11 that year (including a 43 point win over eventual grand finalist WCE) and only missed finals by that dodgy Jeff White free kick.

Not in the top handful of games, but I do remember being absolutely up and about when Wayde Skipper kicked his bag of 5 goals on Matthew Scarlett as we beat the Cats in Rd 17 2005.

We went from 6-10 to finish 11-11 that year (including a 43 point win over eventual grand finalist WCE) and only missed finals by that dodgy Jeff White free kick.
I'm glad you mentioned this, because I've been reflecting on this recently, comparing our current situation to what we were faced with at the end of 2005 and it's quite similar.

Not unlike our current situation, we defeated the 3rd and 1st ranked teams in consecutive weeks which started with the game you've mentioned. The following week, we had to beat the 7th placed BL who were obviously coming off four consecutive Grand Finals.

That three-week patch is comparable to our current three-week patch of Carlton (W), Geelong (W) and Sydney when you compare the strength of our respective opponents.

The slight difference between the two seasons is we had to win our final six to make it (or win five as we ultimately did and rely on other results going our way).

Round 9, 2000 vs St. Kilda. We were 31 points down at 3/4 time. Chris Grant kicked an inspirational goal off-balance to get us going early in the last quarter. We won by one point. As the St. Kilda players began walking off the field in disbelief, the cameras showed Max Hudghton close to tears. You didn't have to be an expert lip-reader to understand when he mouthed the F word to himself. You can also watch the entire game on YouTube.

So does Geelong have a Wayde Skipper medal?

I'm glad you mentioned this, because I've been reflecting on this recently, comparing our current situation to what we were faced with at the end of 2005 and it's quite similar.

Not unlike our current situation, we defeated the 3rd and 1st ranked teams in consecutive weeks which started with the game you've mentioned. The following week, we had to beat the 7th placed BL who were obviously coming off four consecutive Grand Finals.

That three-week patch is comparable to our current three-week patch of Carlton (W), Geelong (W) and Sydney when you compare the strength of our respective opponents.

The slight difference between the two seasons is we had to win our final six to make it (or win five as we ultimately did and rely on other results going our way).
Was that the Jeff White free kick year that did us in?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have three games which literally got me out of my seat.

Round 2, 2019 versus Hawthorn was one which literally got me jumping put of my chair. There was nobody else in the house and we were 30 points down at three-quarter time. When Tom Liberatore kicked a goal while he was falling which put us 12 points up, I felt certain we had the game sewn up with our momentum.
The semi-final against Brisbane in 2021 was another one where I felt fit to jump around after the final siren.
Likewise the round 19, 2022 win against Melbourne after Ugle-Hagan kicked that brilliant long goal to make sure we couldn't lose.

When we won the 2016 preliminary, I was working in disability support and had to work during the game. Luckily the house TV was turned on after half time and I got to see the win unfold. I didn't dare jump around with other workers and the residents present. However I did dare one of the residents to go outside and say to one of the workers (named Dan) who was having a smoko, "Hey Dan, woof, woof, woof!"
This he happily did and Dan was glad to hear we had won.

Bont’s breakout game v Collingwood in 2014.

Naughton v Richmond in 2019.

Josh Bruce kicking 10 against North in 2021.

For all you whipper snappers out there you wont remember this but for us old fellas it brings abck memories.

Dogs vs Pies at the Western Oval - geelong road end, not long to go and collingswood fullback gubby Allan kicks out and the pieman (Simon beasley) marks and kicks a goal after the siren to beat the pies!

Can't remember the exact year or game but we were down by 40 points at 3/4 time against the kangas and Johnno or maybe Cooney kicked the winner was unreal game to watch

Round 18 2005 , Doggies vs Brisbane on a Saturday night under the lights at Docklands.

Dogs 151 - Lions 123.

We were building up again after the disastrous Rohde years under Eade, but these game made it feel like we arriving . Brisbane were the three peat premiers. They were the team to beat.

There were less than two goals in at three quarter time, until the Dogs kicked away with a blistering 9 goals in the last. Great game of footy. Fabulous atmosphere. I invaded the cheer squad in the last but got told off for drinking .

Johnno 27 disposals, 12 marks, 5 goals. 0 behinds. Is he underrated ? A lot of neutrals wouldn't put him in their top twenty players of thst era. I don't care , he was amazing.

This was a feature on on the outer windows at Marvel/Etihad for a long time

1725003414131.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Best doggies games as a fan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back