Best/favourite 10 matches you have seen (involving your club)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 23, 2004
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ripped off the geelong board, but the gist remains the same - list your top ten favourite/most memorable matches involving your club:

1 - 2002 Grand Final, Collingwood vs Brisbane. The best game i have ever seen. effort and courage of both sides unbelieveable. pies were all heart for the entire day. the wet weather helped make the day what it was.

2 - 2002 Preliminary Final, Collingwood vs Adelaide. Having started following the Pies in 1997, i was yet to see the pies in the finals. this was the day the giant awoke. shivers down the spine just remembering the noise. it was amazing. the third quarter came from somewhere else - goals to neon leon, josh fraser (after steinfort copped a huge hit for the team), rupert betheras (bending it arrrrrouuund the boundary under pressure and setting the mcg into a crazed chant of 'rupe rupe rupe' is shivers down the spine stuff), glenn freeborn (storming out of the centre and drilling a beauty, you could always count on freeza) and then the monster launch from rocca, about 70m from goal, after a long weaving johnson-lonie run just topped it off beautifully. the stands were shaking. no noise has ever been louder, imo. subsequent goals to steinfort, nick davis and didak felt like lifting pots of gold from the end of the rainbow. :) will never forget the feeling - WE ARE IN THE GRAND FINAL! and it didn't matter what the odds were, we were there, we had the chance. beautiful.

3 - 2002 Qualifying Final Collingwood vs Port Adelaide. again, 2002, but another amazing performance from an amazing football team. rank outsiders, but we did it. watching on a big screen at the hotel we were staying at was gripping. ben johnson's tackle on burgoyne was akin to the reassuring words 'it'll be ok, it'll be fine' you hear before getting an injection as a child. again, 22 committed and competitive players who worked as one force, all in the absence of bucks.

4 - 2009 Semi-Final Collingwood vs Adelaide. maybe because it's so fresh in my memory, but this was something superb. nearly, nearly down and out at half time, the pies knew they had something left. the crowd reached 2002-prelim proportions in noise in the third quarter. imo it singlehandedly willed brad dick to three contests to chase/tackle/harrass before the ball ended up OOB due to his pressure. felt such spirit and passion, wild, fierce, crazed passion in the crowd. spirit. unbreakable, it felt. just KNEW we were going to win when johnson slammed home his two goals in the third term. typical ben johnson kicks for goal, long, strong and never in doubt. the feeling after our final three goals, to macaffer, leigh brown and finally jack anthony gave such a strength of power and glory in one's self - as if you were the king of the world. unstoppable. eternal power and strength. such is the power of football and emotion. leigh brown's goal was so heartwarming. written off by everyone in footy bar his own, he stood up when it was needed. still feel so proud for him. shows that, if you work hard enough, when your turn comes, and it will come, you, too, can be a hero. his celebration stuck it up the doubters, and the call from huddo was a ripper 'will it be a GOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLL! OF COURSE IT IS!'. yesss! then jack's match winner, unbelieveable stuff. that feeling throughout the second half, where you're hugging all around you as if you've known them forever (maybe you have?), and looking the guy you've struck up a friendship with in the eye with a 'we're gonna win it i know it and you do too we're gonna win it and stick it right up them' look, as well as sharing it with one of your very best mates....i'm sure we all know the feeling. well, most of us. i hope everyone gets to experience this one day, as it is the most powerful, manic, desperately awesome feeling you can experience. the scenes when the siren went and post game confirmed to me all i already knew - collingwood is special. it isn't just a football club. it is a concept. it is believing. it is meaning. it did feel like there was another element to it, as if the likes of rose, coventry, collier, millane and thompson were looking down on the club that night. maybe. i like to dream. but this was one for the memory bank. thinking now, how did this not make it to number one? :p

5. Semi-Final 2007, Collingwood vs West Coast. a phenominal season, and a truly amazing night. remember thinking during the third term when we were 3-goals down that 'surely, surely this season cannot finish here, like this, in perth, miles away?'. within minutes, trav cloke and roccax2 (aided by guy richards in a 5m purple patch) turned the game on its head. the ensuing final term and extra-time period was enough to make you cry, but love, all at once. had that 'vomit is rising' feeling in my stomach and mind all through the last term. we're in front, daisy has goaled! uh oh, we're up the creek, le cras goals. hold it, hold it, heeeelllp as embley and glass have shots from 50m+ out from goal. they miss, scores are tied. dear God, jimmy clement, that kick is too close to the boundary! thank goodness for o'bree marking it. pies go forward. 1m to go. just score for goodness sake! do it pies hurrrry up. can't look, but can't look away. that horribly wonderful feeling you wouldn't trade for ANYTHING yet hate all at once. if it happens, the horror. 'we're going to overtime!' screams cometti. watnow. i lean on the lexus centre bar, eyes red, glazed over, no voice left, rasping to the bar tender 'canivadrinkawaterplease'. a 2minute breather. back to the house of pain. but, somehow, on the wide subiaco sea, the pies look better. medhurst gathers, steadies, hands off to chrissy bryan and bryzer storms in to give us the lead! yayah! staker misses a crucial goal, thank you thank you thank you. then the young guns work it forward through sheer work. trav cloke, thomas, marty clarke wedges a kick, pendles gathers, runs into goal 'there's nobody up ahead! this could be the ballgame!'. is this it? surely, this is it? braun's handball is intercepted, swanny takes the sherrin, now this IS it! open goal! siren! omgomgomg we're gonna take on geelong!!! what a feeling. the lexus centre was going berserk. singing and chanting with delerium. will never forget that night.

6. Collingwood vs Brisbane, R8 2002. hard and fast and physical footy all night long until three goals from rupert betheras in 10-minutes breaks the deadlock. bucks superb, mcgough copped a hammering from shaun hart but it bought us a chance at goal. wakelin's defensive work was stirring in the last quarter. ditto jason cloke. siren. pies by 3pts. the crowd just so loud through the tv.

7. Preliminary Final 2007, Collingwood vs Geelong. don't need to say much here. just that all sense of normality was sucked from the air/mcg as soon as the national anthem started. was the most violent footy rollarcoaster i've ever ridden. was like being on a flimsy raft in the midst of angry, violant, unpredictable waves. and sounded just like that. crashing against the shore. holding on for dear life. desparately searching for an escape route to paradise. ever so close to doing so. we just kept coming and coming all night. to a man, the pies were gallant and courageous. bryan with seven tackles, and shane o'bree nine typified our effort. did not quit for a second. it's amazing that, even in defeat, you can find out how much you love your club. am glad to see the cats do well atm, they deserve it. they have humility. seeing port dance in such a comedic fashion on the kangaroos body for 3qtrs the next day was a slap in the face. how could they get such a free ride to a chance at glory, when we were locked in such an epic arm wrestle?

8. Collingwood vs Essendon. R5 2002. Anzac Day. mcgough. rain. buckley's celebration. jason cloke's courage. burns' guts and determination. lonie on the burst. mckee's persistance. the pies just didn't give in, and ended up with a 33-pt or so win. really signalled that, hey, we can go places with this side.

9. Collingwood vs Carlton. R18 2002. sweet, sweet victory. by 107-points. buckley's 200th, superb game. three brownlow votes. betheras with two. fraser kicked five. chipper adkins, in his second game back, looked the part. joffa and his wooden spoon. seeing a fight in the southern stand, level three as a pies fan waved his spoons in carlton faces. magical.

10. Collingwood vs St Kilda. R14 2007. solid start in the wet, followed by some shambolic umpiring. probably the worst i have ever, ever seen. gehrig got such a free run vs wakelin. but in the last quarter, we still found a way. burns, licuria and o'bree kept pumping the ball in. thomas was magical, two freakish goals, only one paid, but both were stuff which lifts your spirits skyhigh. that feeling of leaping to my feet alongside 40,000 other fans as thomas slotted that wouldbegoal from the pocket. i won't forget.

plenty of honourable mentions to be made. could really go on forever here, as you no doubt can detect. should be interesting to read everyone's lists. bias is permitted, and encouraged. ;) :)

1. 2009 GF. Hard and tough. Made it the perfect tonic for 2008. No handbags.

2. 2007 PF. Same as above, only against the Pies. Sweet. ;)

3. 1994 PF. Last kick against the Roos. Everyone (Bruce) going off for Carey and North. Great man gazzumps Martyn and who cares about what happens next week. :(

4. Rd. 9 1992. The Great Man or God (if you like) turns magician AGAIN!!

5. Rd 6 1993. GOD runs Essendon to 20 points. Don't kid yourself. No-one fired a shot but Ablett.

6. Rd. 20 2004. v Freo at KP. Triple their score. We aren't as good as we are now. Felt pretty good at the time.

7. Rd. 17 2009. Jimmy's Point.

8. Rd 2. 2008. Bombers get whacked. Jimmy's mark.

9. Rd 13 2008. After YEARS of pain (92, 94) who cares. ME. 135 Points. beats those early 90's losses anytime.

10. Rd 7. 1992. The Record. Had to get in. Remember listening to Billy's point at the end. Magic stuff.

* Honourable mention to the 2007 GF. But I felt it was over at Q time. Port just didn't have the legs. Hawthorn and St. Kilda were a different prospect. Got one, missed the other. Swings and roundabouts. :eek:

Since I'm bored and not tired. Actually, slightly tired. So when I forget a really memorable game. Punch me.

Seeing as I don't really remember any games (in vast detail) from before 2002... this is gonna be a pretty recent list, and with the main current crop of players.

Brisbane Lions, Home and Away 03
I don't remember this game in great detail. But I do remember this side being labelled one of the youngest in recent memory. A lot of players with less than ~50 games (Roo, Kosi, Clarke, Goddard, Joey, Dal, Maguire) and the core of our team developing into what it would one day be. Ended up a point ahead with seconds remaining, I just remember the Lions getting the ball from full back to Luke Power in about 10 seconds, shame there was only 9.5 seconds on the clock. Siren goes McMahon style, this time they don't pay it. Saints show they're on the rise.

Brisbane Lions, 04
After 5 games, we come up against the reigning premiers, can't remember how they were goin, I'm just gonna assume reasonably well. Anyway, our youngsters have matured a fair whack and are playing inspired, courageous and attacking footy. The hits in this game were massive. Hammill and Hayes were playing like men possessed. Who could forget Jonesy's 'point' and Schwarzey's 50 metre bomb with about 20 seconds left. The roar was immense...

Adelaide QF, 05
Never felt more confident of winning the flag after this game. Roadtrip to Adelaide to play off against the minor premiers. This game will just be remembered for Harvey. Turned the clocks back 8 years and single handedly dragged us over the line. Not to mention kicking the sealer from a pretty tough angle. I was watching on TV but jumping off walls by that stage.

Brisbane, 05
This ones a little different from the previous two Brisbane thrillers. And shows a lot can change in a year. (or 21 weeks - we lost to them in Round 1). I think Gehrig and Kosi were late withdrawals. I remember we were fighting for a spot in the top 4 whilst the Lions were fighting for a spot in the 8. I also remember a certain tiprat making a late claim for the Coleman. Had 6 at half time...I think we were up by 10 goals at that stage... Kicked his 10th not much later...which I think was a shot from the pocket which he kicked with a drop punt and reverse swung it in...Never forget the MILNEYYYY chant that went up around the arena. Most amazing atmosphere ever.

Dogs, 09
Not the greatest game to watch, but it's the only prelim I can remember, so it has to be here. We didn't play our best and somehow still managed to crawl over the line, thanks muchly to Roo with 4 last half goals. The kick late in the last to put us a point up...and then the soccer goal from nowhere...Being in the cheer squad we must have sung the theme song a good 7-8 times, and a massive chant went up when that eventually stopped. Smashed many beers at Crown with some mates afterward, knowing not of the pain which would follow just a week later :(

Ok, too cbf to contine, will edit tomorrow.

Games I also has to include...Hawks 08 comeback match... and of course round 14 against the cats this year. Not gonna order them, ish too hard.

1) Bulldogs vs Geelong, round four, 2006
Amazing game. Thirteen points was the largest lead all game. Doggies home by a point to begin the season 4-0.

2) Bulldogs vs Adelaide, round twenty, 2006
A fair way behind during the third quarter, and we came from behind to win by seven points. Cooney sensational with thirty touches and five goals, Westy magnificent with 45 disposals.

3)Bulldogs vs North, round fifteen, 2000
Forty-something points down during the third quarter, scores level at 3/4 time. Bulldogs' hard fighting game saw them prevail by four points.

4) Bulldogs vs Essendon, round 21, 2000
Unlike the other three, I didn't go to this game, but still a beauty. The undefeated Bombers outclassed by Terry Wallace. Chris Grant an absolute star on the night, while West was also brilliant.

5) Bulldogs vs Hawthorn, round fourteen, 2009
Hawthorn four behinds at half time? LOL... Reigning premiers? LMAO. Lake dominates Franklin. Hilarious. 88-point victory? Magical.

6) Bulldogs vs North Melbourne, round 22, 1998
Top-of-the-ladder clash, massive crowd, brilliant game, five-point loss for the Doggies. Heartbreaking, yet still a classic match.

7) Bulldogs vs Adelaide, round sixteen, 1999
Forty points down at 3/4 time, and the Bulldogs had to score more in the final term than they did in the first three quarters to stand any chance. Luke Darcy stood tall and kicked a late goal to tie the scores, while two stoppage time behinds saw the Bulldogs fall away with a two-point win.

8) Bulldogs vs St. Kilda, Prelim, 2009
Great game, wrong result. Brilliant pressure, awesome performance by those not wearing yellow or white. Seagulls were a bitch, but the game was a classic.

I've gone chronologically rather than in order of preference.

1. 1991 Elimination Final vs Geelong - We lost narrowly but it was a cracker of a final that see-sawed throughout. Was billed as a shootout between Lockett & Ablett, we kept Ablett quiet but then Brownless bobbed up to kick a bag and got the Cats home. FFFUUUU Billy.

2. 1992 Rd 12 vs Collingwood - Was played on a Monday public holiday in front of a massive crowd and was like a final. Memorable for Kenny Sheldon's jumper grabbing spray to Craig Devonport on the boundary line, Devonport then responded by kicked the winning goal. Awesome.

3. 1992 Elimination Final vs Collingwood - Our first finals win in almost 20 years and over one of our most hated opponents. Can't remember all that much about the match to be honest other than it was a typically close, hard fought final. I think a young bloke called Harvey may have got a fair few touches that day too.

4. 1994 Rd 7 vs Sydney - Memorable in more ways than one. Firstly because Peter Caven viciously headbutted Tony Lockett's elbow and secondly because St Kilda staged one of the most amazing comebacks in AFL history after being down by 50 odd points at 3/4 time. Plugger kicked a lazy 11 goals, the highlight being when he bazooka'd a couple of kicks straight at the Swans cheer squad after they were abusing him over the Caven incident.:D

5. 1996 Ansett Cup Grand Final vs Carlton - May have only been a pre-season game but had the feel of a genuine final. Was played in front of a massive crowd at Waverley against another hated foe in Carlton (who were reigning premiers at the time). The star studded Carlton line-up were favourites but they were ambushed by a rampant Saints side lead by the brilliant Nicky Winmar.

6. 1997 Preliminary Final vs North Melbourne - North probably went in favourites but a dislocated shoulder to McKernan turned the tide and we ran home comfortable winners to seal our first GF appearance in 26 years.

7. 1998 Rd 6 vs West Coast - A personal favourite as I was sitting amongst the Eagles cheer squad that day and had been copping it big time as we trailled all day. After being 5 goals down at 3/4 time and looking gone for all money, the Saints stormed home to win by 2 points. I wasn't shy in letting the Eagles supporters know about it either.

8. 2004 Prelim Final vs Port Adelaide - We lost but it was one of the best games I've ever seen. Just terrific, high intensity football as both teams just slugged it out in a last man standing affair. Gutted to lose but still very proud of our efforts that day.

9. 2005 Qualifying Final vs Adelaide - A great upset win over minor premiers Adelaide in front of their feral supporters at AAMI. The grand old man Robert Harvey put on a master class that had to be seen to be believed.

10. 2009 Preliminary Final vs Western Bulldogs - Not the greatest of games in terms of skill but just an incredibly tough, tense final throughout. The game could have gone either way right until the last couple of minutes when Riewoldt's soccer goal thankfully swayed it our way. Will never forget the combined feeling of exhiliration and relief as the siren sounded. Just a pity the next week couldn't have been the same.:(

1. Essendon V North rd 16 2001. Most Bombers fan would put this right up there. It was the first time I can remember going to the footy. I can still remember sitting up the top of the old Ponsford stand watching Caracella kicking the sealer deep into Q4 and knowing that we had won. One of my favourite footy moments.

2. ANZAC Day 2003. Loved watching the Dons absolutely thrash Collingwood and Hirdy was at his finest. Nothing could go wrong and everyone seemed to be playing awesome.

3. Essendon V Melbourne EF2004. IMO one of the great Essendon games in our recent history. The game was so close and played at an incredible level and after seeing how happy everyone was after the final siren (players and supporters) this game ranks right up there with my favourites.

4. Essendon V WCE 2007 rd 11. After a shaky start we managed to claw out way back into it to setup a thrilling finish infront of a full house @ docklands. The atmosphere was amazing, especially after Lucas put us infront with a raking left footer from 50 in the last qtr. Alos loved the desperation from late in the game, when we refused to concede a point as we were only one point ahead. Have never yelled so much at a match before or since.

5. ANZAC Day 2009. Sitting level one row A in the driving rain whilst Zaharakis kicked the winning goal was priceless. The fact that we hadn't one it for three years previously also made it special.

6. Round 17 2006 Essendon V Brisbane. Probably wouldn't be one picked by many Essendon fans. It was the game which broke out losing streak of '06 and we did it in stunning style. The game was high scoring and really satisfying after coming so close to winning in the two weeks previous to the game. It was one of the great football moments I have experienced, especially after watching them lose so many in a row.

7. Essendon V Carlton rd 13 2008. At this stage we had only one three games for the season and had broken our losing streak the week before against WCE. Carlton were up and about which made their supporters extra arrogant and feral. Slattery got knocked out early and Fev played a classic game but it wasn't enough to get them over the line. Watching all the Carlton fans leave after Remiers sealed the deal was hilarious.

8. Essendon V WCE rd 3 2004. We had a horrible start to the season and looked like winning our first game for the season early on in the game after a fantastic start.WCE came back strong and looked like overrunning us to win before that man, James Hird bobbed up with one of the great qtrs of all time. Lloyd was brilliant and Mercuri played a great 200th.

9. Essendon V Port rd 18 2004. Port were easily the best team in the comp that year and we had been alright but were in a patch of bad form. We had always played crap against Port (still do) which, as well as the fact that Port were on top of the ladder, made if a memorable win. Lloyd was fantastic and took a classic grab and kicked 7 or 8.

10. Essendon V St Kilda rd 20 2009. Was about to be heartbroken after the final siren but ended up leaving as happy as I'd been for the whole season. Beating the unbeaten will stand as one of the great games for me and many Bomber fans.

i couldnt name 10 but my top three easily are:

1- '08 grand final. underdogs. sitting right next 2 the cheer squad. close match. great high pressure game. dont get much better

2- '01 hawks vs carlton. ben dixon goals after the siren

3- '08 hawks vs adelaide. behind the whole game then with barely any time on the clock hodgey goals from in front. classic

Ten is a bit much to do right now... i can do three.

1) 1987 grand final -why? redemption time after getting hammered by Hawthorn the previous year. also, there are some great goals in this match from Meldrum, Bradley and Naley.

2) 1982 grand final. why? harmes and johnston were great that day.

3) 1995 rd 22 vs essendon -they came to ruin our winning streak the bombers- they went away disappointed. the streak continued.

"Favorite" is a little different to "best"

1975 grand final v Hawthorn
1977 grand final v Collingwood
1999 grand final v Carlton
1996 grand final v Sydney
1993 flogging of Collingwood at Vic Park
1994 127 point destruction of Hawthorn
1990 John Longmires 14 goal demolition v Melbourne
1996 Wayne Careys 31 possession, 15 mark, 11 goal obliteration of Melbourne
1993 Norths kicks 35:19:229 v Sydney to smash the Princes park record
1991 Norths piles on 8:8 to nothing in the last quarter to run all over Sydney on ANZAC day at the G, to turn a 2 point 3/4 time deficit in to a 54 point victory. At one point in the match North were 40 points down.

2001 Final vs Carlton-Always great to Knock off the Blues particually in a final.
1980 GF Vs Coll-The day KB could not be stopped.
1995 Final Vs Ess-One of the best finals game by an individual.Mathew Knights game was something to see.
1997 Rnd 22 Vs Carl-Last game of the year.Carlton playing at home needing to win to make the finals.All looked good early,Which made it even sweeter to come from behind and watching 30,000 Blue fans cry.
1972 GF Vs CarltonAbsolute Goal feast.Over 50 goals kicked combined.One of my fav defeats.

Can,t remember the year:
*Richo kicking 10 vs the Doggies.2004 i think?
*Dreamtime at th G vs Ess,We lead all night.Bombers came back to hit the lead late.Jarrod Oakley Nicholls kicks the winning point :D 2007 i think?

Off the top of my head, this is my top eight. Will add the last two later...

1. 2009 v Geelong -The best game of footy I have seen. Hard, tight contest, Gardiner's mark had me leaping off the couch. The best game he's played for the club by far. Riewoldt v Taylor is shaping up as being a duel I could watch every day.

2. 2004 v Brisbane - Aussie's point should never have been but it was still an awesome game of footy. Felt like the Saints had turned the corner knocking off the reigning premiers.

3. 2004 v Carlton - Love thrashing the Blues and any game where Fevola starts at full-back is going to be memorable.. especially when Gehrig is throwing him around like a rag doll. Thought the G-Train was going to finish with a dozen goals by the end of the night.

4. 2007 v Adelaide - Another thriller and a decent game of footy. Saints always match-up well against the Crows and always good to be able to go to work Monday and see all the Crow supporters with a frown!

5. 2008 v Hawthorn - My favourite come-from-behind win. At half time I thought it was lost, wasn't even going to watch the second half. Blake moved into the ruck and changed everything. Tackling became fierce, more run, everything clicked. Clint Jones running down Buddy was the highlight.

6. 2009 GF v Geelong - Even though the Saints fell at the last hurdle, it was one of the best grand finals I've watched. Tough, honest footy. No dirty business and plenty of amazing moments. Goddard was a warrior, Ball played well with limited opportunities, Gram was great, Hayes was awesome early. Dawson played well (had to given Max was left out), Riewoldt had another awesome clash with Taylor. If the Saints had kicked straighter it would have been higher up the list... then again, the result may have been a bit better too!

7. 2009 v Collingwood - I only disliked a few games the Saints played this year but this was my pick of the thrashings we gave teams early on. I, like most opposition supporters, like seeing the Pies lose. On a big stage too. Slow first term in terms of scoring, but I loved seeing the Saints squeeze the life out of the Pies, then dominating. 17 goals to four after the first change. Riewoldt had five goals and I reckon a dozen marks, Goddard, Dal and Montagna dominated in the middle and Swan was well held.

8. 2009 v Hawthorn - I liked this game because we had so many players out and still beat the reigning premiers. From memory, Riewoldt, Goddard, Fisher, Dal Santo, Montagna, Hayes and Baker all missed. Terrible conditions, windy as hell down in Tassie, but the Saints still prevailed. Some of the lesser-known guys at the club starred. Armitage played the game of his life, Ball was typically tough in the midfield, McEvoy showed he will be a great ruckman and Jack Steven had a great debut. Close to 100 tackles for the game, great pressure, great footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4) Bulldogs vs Essendon, round 21, 2000
Unlike the other three, I didn't go to this game, but still a beauty. The undefeated Bombers outclassed by Terry Wallace. Chris Grant an absolute star on the night, while West was also brilliant.

:D We so threw this match :thumbsu:

1. Essendon V North rd 16 2001. Most Bombers fan would put this right up there. It was the first time I can remember going to the footy. I can still remember sitting up the top of the old Ponsford stand watching Caracella kicking the sealer deep into Q4 and knowing that we had won. One of my favourite footy moments.

I also have fond memories of this match.

It signified the end of Essendon as a power.

They were never the same again after the fright they got in this match.

Off the top of my head, this is my top eight. Will add the last two later...

1. 2009 v Geelong -The best game of footy I have seen. Hard, tight contest, Gardiner's mark had me leaping off the couch. The best game he's played for the club by far. Riewoldt v Taylor is shaping up as being a duel I could watch every day.

2. 2004 v Brisbane - Aussie's point should never have been but it was still an awesome game of footy. Felt like the Saints had turned the corner knocking off the reigning premiers.

3. 2004 v Carlton - Love thrashing the Blues and any game where Fevola starts at full-back is going to be memorable.. especially when Gehrig is throwing him around like a rag doll. Thought the G-Train was going to finish with a dozen goals by the end of the night.

Yeah, I loved all those matches as well. Could easily have included them in my top 10 list.

Both the Geelong '09 and Brisbane '04 games were great examples of tough, close, high intensity football - worthy of a final. Also in both cases we knocked off the no.1 team in the comp., which just made it all the more special.

The Carlton game in '04 wasn't as good in terms of being a close game but it was still memorable for seeing Carlton (and Fev in particular) completely humiliated. There was also another 100 point thrashing we handed out to West Coast that year that was memorable for similar reasons, especially living in WA and being able to rub it in to all the Eagles supporters here.

8. 2004 Prelim Final vs Port Adelaide - We lost but it was one of the best games I've ever seen. Just terrific, high intensity football as both teams just slugged it out in a last man standing affair. Gutted to lose but still very proud of our efforts that day.

I went to this game with my old man who's a Port supporter. Only one of us left happy but we couldn't argue we got our money's worth.I still curse Wanganeen though!

I'll name my top 8 off the top of my head:

1995 V Geelong:thumbsu:
1970/1979/1981 V Collingwood:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
1972,1982 V Richmond:thumbsu::thumbsu:
1987 V Hawthorn:thumbsu:
1968 V Essendon:thumbsu:

Oh yes, that's right - all Grand Final wins:)

Such a shame many of you need to try and remember H&A, pre-season GF's and the like. The above list is what counts - nothing else matters

Just to top off the list, I"ll throw in a couple of losses to fill the baker's dozen:

1969/1973 V Richmond
1986 V Hawthorn
1993 V Essendon
1999 V North Melbourne

What an honour to support a club that measures success in that way.

Let's hope the next decade brings 2-3 to re-align normality.

Now I get why so many opposition supporters hate us so much.

Such is life

I'll name my top 8 off the top of my head:

1995 V Geelong:thumbsu:
1970/1979/1981 V Collingwood:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
1972,1982 V Richmond:thumbsu::thumbsu:
1987 V Hawthorn:thumbsu:
1968 V Essendon:thumbsu:

Oh yes, that's right - all Grand Final wins:)

Such a shame many of you need to try and remember H&A, pre-season GF's and the like. The above list is what counts - nothing else matters

Just to top off the list, I"ll throw in a couple of losses to fill the baker's dozen:

1969/1973 V Richmond
1986 V Hawthorn
1993 V Essendon
1999 V North Melbourne

What an honour to support a club that measures success in that way.

Let's hope the next decade brings 2-3 to re-align normality.

Now I get why so many opposition supporters hate us so much.

Such is life

95 was fantastic :) best game

and thats why our club is the greatest, we measure success on premierships

2006 GF vs Sydney- One point win in a GF, enough said
1992 GF vs Geelong- Peter Matera sets sail for home, and the eagles, HIT THE FRONT
2005 GF vs Sydney- even though we lost, what a game!
Round 10, 2006 vs Geelong- One of the greatest comebacks ever
Round 3, 2004 vs Essendon- again, despite losing, was a fantatic game
QF 2005 vs Sydney- Great win, hunter's heroics were epic
QF 2006 vs Sydney- great game, even though we lost
Round 1 2007 vs Sydney- another epic 1 point contest, with a huge match saving tackle by kerr on the buzzer
Round 11, 2006 vs Carlton- Another epic comeback
SF 2007 vs Collingwood- Extra time final

I've probably forgotten some of the great games in the 90's, but in more recent times, these games were absolute classics.

In no particular order

2001 - R16 vs. Kangaroos (Greatest comeback in the history of the game?? 69pts down half way through the 2nd to win by 12 pts)
1995 - ANZAC Day vs. Collingwood (Was forced to leave at 3qr time by my Fitzroy dad [i was 9yo at the time] saying "hopeless club, why bother staying, get ahead of the queues coming out of the ground")
2000 - Grand Final vs. Melbourne
2003 - ANZAC Day vs. Collingwood
2004 - Elimination Final vs. Melbourne (R.I.P Broadbridge, his last game. Was an epic game. David Hille the hero.)
2009 - ANZAC Day vs. Collingwood
1993 - Grand Final vs. Carlton (actually thought SOS would need to be committed to a psycho ward for Long's goal and "touched". Just hilarious)
2007 - R13 vs. Melbourne - I will come clean ... I was in hotel in some country town near the border of NT and WA en route to Kununurra. With 5 minutes to go I turned off the TV in disgust, as we were 17pts down. Had no signal or access TV for another 24 hours. Two days later FOX Sports were recapping the weekend and I saw us on the winners list. I wondered wtf happened?? Thankfully, they were doing replays later that week. Was Daniher's farewell game as coach. Emotions were flowing. What a game (even before i turned the tv off).

That's 8 ... there's a few others I can think of but whether they are worthy of a top 10 mention I'm not sure. May edit later.

EDIT: OH, 2004 Round 3 vs. West Coast (THAT goal by James Hird plus something like 15 disposals in the final quarter. Even Murphy played a blinder with something like 16 disposals in the 3rd quarter)

1 1980 GF vs collingwood no more needs to be said 23-21 to 9-24 kb running amok

2 1969 1st semi final Vs gellong 25-17 to 7 -7 set us up for the 69 flag
eric moore had a day out, who remembers him

3 1973 GF vs Carlton 16-20 to 12-14 revenge, lawrie fowler, neil balme
ian stewart

4 1974 GF vs North 18-20 to 13 9 everyone hated us wanted north to break the ice bones richardson had a great day

5 1980 QF vs Carlton 18-8 to 10 14 tony jewel and Percy jones and KB showing us what was yet to come

6 1995 SF vs Essendon 12-14 to 11 7 Knighters match

7 1967 GF vs Geelong 16-18 to 15-15 harts mark, hungrys goals Fred swifts mark?????? lol

8 1995 Round 4 vs North 21-8 to 13-7 north were good it was almost a perfect 1s quarter daffy had a ball

as you can tell im an old fart

2006 GF vs Sydney- One point win in a GF, enough said
2005 GF vs Sydney- even though we lost, what a game!
QF 2005 vs Sydney- Great win, hunter's heroics were epic
QF 2006 vs Sydney- great game, even though we lost
Round 1 2007 vs Sydney- another epic 1 point contest, with a huge match saving tackle by kerr on the buzzer

That was one of the best footy rivalries, loved those two GFs especially.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best/favourite 10 matches you have seen (involving your club)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back