Best football school in Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

johnson_26 said:
if thatw as the case choobhead, then why on the earth did:
1. BCC win the CHISSA/ BSSSA First XV football championship in 2005- in the same competition as st pats
2. Come runner up in the past 2 years MCC Herlad Sun Country Shield
3. Whoop St. Pats' ass in the previous 2005 CHISSA/BSSSA premiership season???

BCC= betetr than ST Pats

johnson_26 said:
1. BCC win the CHISSA/ BSSSA First XV football championship in 2005- in the same competition as st pats

BCC= betetr than ST Pats

pete6 said:
johnson_26 said:

BCC= betetr than ST Pats

Not once through the year did St Pats play BCC with a full strength side, because St Pats were resting there key players which was really a quarter of the team for the Herald Sun Shield, an also what makes BCC look even worse is they had the chance to show everyone else that they were the best team by playin SPC in the grand final, but if they were to loose there last game of the year they would play a much weaker public school instead of St Pats, so in that semi-final against Ballarat High School BCC got abosoultly smashed cos they played a weaker side, so they wouldnt have to play St Pats in the grandfinal. BCC played Ballarat High School in the grand final an smashed them to bits, so tell me this johnson_26 why did BCC take the easy option an play a much weakened side in the semi instead of playing there full strenght side so they could have a crack at St Patricks

Also just another thing St Pats DID WIN the Herald Sun Shield division one final, who cares if BCC made it to the grandfinal in the division 2. No one ever remembers or cares about a team that looses in a grandfinal.

pete6 said:
pete6 said:
johnson_26 said:

BCC= betetr than ST Pats

Not once through the year did St Pats play BCC with a full strength side, because St Pats were resting there key players which was really a quarter of the team for the Herald Sun Shield, an also what makes BCC look even worse is they had the chance to show everyone else that they were the best team by playin SPC in the grand final, but if they were to loose there last game of the year they would play a much weaker public school instead of St Pats, so in that semi-final against Ballarat High School BCC got abosoultly smashed cos they played a weaker side, so they wouldnt have to play St Pats in the grandfinal. BCC played Ballarat High School in the grand final an smashed them to bits, so tell me this johnson_26 why did BCC take the easy option an play a much weakened side in the semi instead of playing there full strenght side so they could have a crack at St Patricks

Also just another thing St Pats DID WIN the Herald Sun Shield division one final, who cares if BCC made it to the grandfinal in the division 2. No one ever remembers or cares about a team that looses in a grandfinal.

Gee Pete, you took your losses hard son, despite the fact that BCC played most games throughout the year without many of their key playmakers - Peter Weir and Matt Rice to name just but a few.

Just admit you were not good enough last year. You were beaten fairly and squarely by a better team twice in a year.

Let me add that your school has clearly got a better football record than BCC,and your College's football history is to be admired, but dont go around and denigrate other schools simply becuase you were not good enough to get into the grand final.

Let me also add that BCC would like to play in the Herald Sun Shield, but it seems to be a closed shop. The school plays in the next best Competition which is available to it.

Let me also add that the school is not in the same class as a Sacred Heart College, Essendon Grammar, Assumpstion Colege, Caulfield Grammar or a Xavier etc. Although we have produced Jermey Humm, Adam Fisher, Luke Brennan, James Walker, Adam Campbell, Damiel Batson, in recent years we have not had the long term success of these schools and St Pats. However we are no longer the easy beats of the competition as we were a decade ago.

The important thing is that both schools are now good football schools and have terrific coaches looking after the First XV111 teams. What we should be saying is that these two schools would at full strength be more than compettive with any other school in Australia.

daveyboy3 said:
Don't think that actually happened mate

pretty sure it did.. i played against them in 2004 and we played their side vs our whole squad of 28.. and we won by 5 goals.. still SHC prob a long way off knocking off some of the previously mentioned VIC schools.. wats WA footy like atm?

'Sheppo's Boys'.....i was just wondering wat u think of the coach at BCC, im not sure of his name, but i've been told by a range of people throughout Ballarat that if BCC want to be even more successful, that the school should stop giving away endless scholarships to footballers and think about getting a new coach..From wat i've heard he makes poor decisions,has no respect from his players and lacks experience and knowledge of the game..and if it wasnt for BCC having $300 000 worth of players on the park each week they would fail miserably..

Flying Joey said:
pretty sure it did.. i played against them in 2004 and we played their side vs our whole squad of 28.. and we won by 5 goals.. still SHC prob a long way off knocking off some of the previously mentioned VIC schools.. wats WA footy like atm?

Possibly agaisnt the second tier schools combined side in ballarat, who are in a different comp. The top schools certainly wern't involved.

Caulfield Grammar have been pretty good with Judd, Goddard and MacQualter recently, all on scholarships though. Xavier have produced 73 League footballers, St Kevins 165. The reason for St Kevins being the top dog in OZ is that in the 30's and 40's it was the finishing school where all of the Catholics did yrs 11 and 12, hence all of the Paradians, Xavier boys etc left there schools and did matric there.
So St Kevins is technically the greatest.

brian speaking said:
Caulfield Grammar have been pretty good with Judd, Goddard and MacQualter recently, all on scholarships though. Xavier have produced 73 League footballers, St Kevins 165. The reason for St Kevins being the top dog in OZ is that in the 30's and 40's it was the finishing school where all of the Catholics did yrs 11 and 12, hence all of the Paradians, Xavier boys etc left there schools and did matric there.

Massive technicality there BS, and the fact you know the St Kevins -v- Xavier comparison is disturbing.

However, I think most would agree the question was posed in the context of 2005/6 and statistics going back pre-WWII probably have little, if any, weight.

FWIW - Trinity Grammar have 3 on AFL lists in Sam & Luke Power and Josh Gibson (North). None received scholarships. Wouldn't hold a candle to many of the schools mentioned previously.

Back in my day, it was both Assumption (Crawfords, Dixon) and Penleigh Essendon Grammar School (R. Olarenshaw, D. Fletcher and S. West) who were tough to toss.

Melbourne High historically produced a lot of VFL footballers, helped by the fact a lot of Tigers/Demons u19's players went there.

Once had a starting on ball division of

Mark Lee/ Michael Roberts/ Dale Weightman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St. Bernies would have one of the best history's in Melbourne for sport in general. In more recent years, Whitefriars would be mentioned due to their success in Herald Sun Shield. Assumption has had much success!! Does anyone think it's fair that schools hand out scholarships to students that are talented at sport??

brian speaking said:

The Biggs boys apparently have their own finishing school now for St Kevs.............

Trav 20 said:
Let Haileybury have their brief moment in the sun. Historically, nobody is a patch on Xavier.

I believe it is called the Keenan Cup. A cup designed for the best country school boys side to play the best city side at the time (Assumption vs Xavier) some 60 years ago it began, at the moment i believe it is in Assumptions favour by around 4 wins.

And by the way, Sacred Heart College can hoo-haa about their so called dominance over ACK, however in real truth, ACK lost to SHC by 14 points last year, where, Haileybury would spank ACK by around 10 goals.

Haileybury........Daylight........... the rest of the country.

i dont think ppl can say this team will beat that team because they beat another team by more.. it doesnt work that way.. so therefore this makes all teams on last years form that havent played against each other, even.. until SHC or a WA team play the 'invincible' halleberry or xavier, then no one can say who is better.. however history is full of facts and therefore the more success a college has had, can be compared to that of another.. just an opinion

also take out the scholarship players of every team then compare line ups.. would it make much of a difference in the VIC teams cos i kno only a coupla colleges in SA give out scholarships, only to one or two players a year

assumption colege by far HISTORICALLY is the greatest football school holding the best record of any sporting organisations in australia for most premiership wins winning its league consistently over its playing time and also performing consistently well in the state-wide sun shield comp (HISTORICALLY) this is as for the last few years they have not performed as well in the sun shield comp

footyfanatic007 said:
I believe it is called the Keenan Cup. A cup designed for the best country school boys side to play the best city side at the time (Assumption vs Xavier) some 60 years ago it began, at the moment i believe it is in Assumptions favour by around 4 wins.

And by the way, Sacred Heart College can hoo-haa about their so called dominance over ACK, however in real truth, ACK lost to SHC by 14 points last year, where, Haileybury would spank ACK by around 10 goals.

Haileybury........Daylight........... the rest of the country.
when we are talking about the best football team in the country i think we are referring to the past too u know before the last 5-6 years when chelsea sorry i mean hailebury didnt just buy a team full of scholarships in order to win. Historically no-one in australia in any sport compares to assumptions record. Its just the facts and the thing is at assumption the kids pay the school to go there n pay for them not the other way round

future29 said:
when we are talking about the best football team in the country i think we are referring to the past too u know before the last 5-6 years when chelsea sorry i mean hailebury didnt just buy a team full of scholarships in order to win. Historically no-one in australia in any sport compares to assumptions record. Its just the facts and the thing is at assumption the kids pay the school to go there n pay for them not the other way round

Undoubtably Assumption and Xavier have the best records in Victoria, SHC in South Australia, but there is no dispute that Haileybury currently is the best footballing school. Whether SHC havnt played them or not, id seen both sides play last year, and there is no doubt in my mind HC would give SHC a touch up. Scholarships or no scholarships, Haileybury has smartly developed there school so as to have enough money to buy players. Good on them.

But i am getting sick and tired of other APS schools, namely, Melb Grammer, Scotch, Xavier and Caulfield complaing about their recruiting schemes. They too deal out great amounts in scholarships, but it is blatently obvious that Haileyburys recruiting staff is alot better than that of the other APS schools.

Now on to ACK. ACK will learn very quickly that in order to survive they must get with the times, ACK couldve gone to state glory last year if they just added 3 more quality players to fill up the depth. Someone like Shane Neaves sitting in Whittlesea Secondary is a perfect example of a player that couldve helped ACK to an even better result in 05'. I think this will come about when Ray Carrol leaves, as Assumption is placed perfectly to "poach" as Haileybury does, the extreme amount of talent comming out of the GVFL u/18 comps. Future, i believe ACK will have their weakest side in 5 years next year, and with the record amount of scholarships floating around, they may yet finish lower than 3rd, their lowest ever finish.

but shc have never given a football/sporting scholarship and they havent been beaten in the sa comp for 5 years.. and all u self-proclaimed "experts" from victoria, stop trying to sound knowledgable because all sa ppl no st peters and pac are historically the most prestigieous football school in sa.. shc ddnt actually joint the comp till mid 1900's.. u haileybury boys have a severe inferiority complex!!

footyfanatic007 said:
Undoubtably Assumption and Xavier have the best records in Victoria, SHC in South Australia, but there is no dispute that Haileybury currently is the best footballing school. Whether SHC havnt played them or not, id seen both sides play last year, and there is no doubt in my mind HC would give SHC a touch up. Scholarships or no scholarships, Haileybury has smartly developed there school so as to have enough money to buy players. Good on them.

But i am getting sick and tired of other APS schools, namely, Melb Grammer, Scotch, Xavier and Caulfield complaing about their recruiting schemes. They too deal out great amounts in scholarships, but it is blatently obvious that Haileyburys recruiting staff is alot better than that of the other APS schools.

Now on to ACK. ACK will learn very quickly that in order to survive they must get with the times, ACK couldve gone to state glory last year if they just added 3 more quality players to fill up the depth. Someone like Shane Neaves sitting in Whittlesea Secondary is a perfect example of a player that couldve helped ACK to an even better result in 05'. I think this will come about when Ray Carrol leaves, as Assumption is placed perfectly to "poach" as Haileybury does, the extreme amount of talent comming out of the GVFL u/18 comps. Future, i believe ACK will have their weakest side in 5 years next year, and with the record amount of scholarships floating around, they may yet finish lower than 3rd, their lowest ever finish.

If you were to do your homework I'm sure that you will find Parade College in the ACC have a record of similar nature to the 2 schools you have mentioned. 4 herald Shields in the 90's is a fair effort. Assumption - AGS, Xavier - APS, Parade - ACC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best football school in Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Back