Stocka

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2002
Richmond
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy
What would stand out in your memory, as being the best individual game played by a Royboy, that you saw (or perhaps have read or heard about)?

The best individual effort I ever saw by a Royboy, was Richard Osborne's 11 goal haul against Melbourne, in 1989, Round 18 at Princes Park.

Garry Wilson, with 7 goals against South Melbourne at the Junction Oval in round 4 of 1978. He absolutely dominated & helped the Roys turn a 32 point deficit at 3/4 time into a 19 point win.

paul roos 300th game. although playing for south, it was surreal. his usual nomad position, with goals, assists, marks etc etc. how many footballers were easily best on ground at their 300th. certainly not sam newman. incidentally, can't remember the year, was it 92,93 ? anyway, roosy won a match for us against melb at prinny park. 4 strong marks in defence after we hit the front in the last quarter. ross lyon made brett lovett look like an idiot.

I concur with Big Kev about Bernie, but what about Smirky Dwyer in 1986??

Gee he had some good games, but for the life of me can't separate any of them specifically.

Bernie's effort in the 1983 final against Hawthorn, A sensational last quarter where he almost single handedly won the game for us.

I still can't bear to watch replays or even think about that game and that shocking free kick against Nettlefold to Hawthorn that cost us the game. That was going to be our flag had we won that qualifying final. Who knows what might have happened from there?

I cant think of a best game by a roy but I do remember a incredible quater by Alistair Lynch against the wet toast. It was back when the toast were unbeatable and especially at the WACA. Lynch kicked four first quater goals on Glen Jakovich, worsfold and probably McIntosh. For the rest of the game they held him and the ump's gave Lynchy nothin or he would of kicked about 12. We won. It took a couple of years for another team to beat the toast at the WACA again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I think so, from memory he was running back to put someone off and the ball kind of fell into his arms?? I think I remember Dennis Commetti being bemused by it all. Jason Baldwin was a good underrated player back then wasnt he. Him and McCormack looked really good but never quite went on with it. It was one of Brad Boyds first games come to think of it and played pretty well.

Conlan tore us a new rectum in '81 or '82 at the Junction. He was unstoppable especially after half time, in the third quarter alone I think he kicked six. Then there was Bernie at the Western Oval in the late '70s kicking 7 or 8 and giving almost as many away turning a game we expected to win into a game that was over by three quarter time

Originally posted by fitzmantle
Jason Baldwin was a good underrated player back then wasnt he. Him and McCormack looked really good but never quite went on with it.

I reckon it was that injury (groin?), in 1994 that Baldwin played with for most of the season that stopped him from being mor prolific.

Likewise, getting into trouble in 1995 a couple of times didn't help his cause either. Similarly, in 1996, it seemed as though Nunan had plans which didn't include Baldwin, for whatever reasons.

I always rated Baldwin as a good player, who was cut down from achieving more by unfortunate circumstances. He was fairly creative with good disposal, and reasonably strong for a winger. A lot of people forget that he was our Vice-Captain in our last two seasons.

I spoke to him recently at the Haydn Bunton Ball, and he still had great memories of his days with the Roys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best individual game by a Royboy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back