Best Match Day Coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

surpstar

Cancelled
Aug 31, 2003
Slough, UK
AFL Club
Richmond
Some people say the role of a coach can be over-rated, but I think it's important to have a coach that can make the right decisions during a game to help his side win a game.

So I thought I'd list the top 5 best match day coaches currently in senior AFL coaching positions

1. Leigh Matthews. Quality coach, best in the business.

2. John Worsfold. Calm an d collected. Did a fantastic job in 07 considering the challenges he was faced with.

3. Michael Malthouse. Amazing how he gets so much out of the Pies, has stepped up in the last couple of seasons.

4. Mark Williams. Without him at the helm, POrt would struggle to make the 8

5. Terry Wallace. The risk taker. A true match day strategist who puts lengthy planning into every move.

Some people say the role of a coach can be over-rated, but I think it's important to have a coach that can make the right decisions during a game to help his side win a game.

So I thought I'd list the top 5 best match day coaches currently in senior AFL coaching positions

2. John Worsfold. Calm an d collected. Did a fantastic job in 07 considering the challenges he was faced with.

3. Michael Malthouse. Amazing how he gets so much out of the Pies, has stepped up in the last couple of seasons.

5. Terry Wallace. The risk taker. A true match day strategist who puts lengthy planning into every move.

Probably have Laidley at No 5 before Wallace.

May be bias, but the way Clarkson lets the players take some responsability for the game, rather than havign a "my way or the highway" approach is something many coaches lack, and also is a sign of a great match day coach.

even with lots of early draft pics, you need a good coach to get them to perform well. How the one rated coach of 2007 can be overlooked is also beyond me

May be bias, but the way Clarkson lets the players take some responsability for the game, rather than havign a "my way or the highway" approach is something many coaches lack, and also is a sign of a great match day coach.

even with lots of early draft pics, you need a godo coach to get them to perform well. How the one rated coach of 2007 can be overlooked is also beyond me
i agree with ya

even with lots of early draft pics, you need a good coach to get them to perform well. How the one rated coach of 2007 can be overlooked is also beyond me

Mind you, this year is the acid test for Clarko. An unexpected year for the Hawks like last year will need to be backed up, otherwise, the players may have gotten ahead of themselves.

He does wear his heart on his sleeve doesn't he. But which of the other top 5 there hasn't looked like blowing a vein in the box before.

LOL. Was actually agreeing with you here. I really do enjoy watching the junkyard dawg coach the North games. He looks close to having a stroke every game. Prefer him to Wallet easily.

Mind you, this year is the acid test for Clarko. An unexpected year for the Hawks like last year will need to be backed up, otherwise, the players may have gotten ahead of themselves.

very true, however, regardless of this season, the attitude of the players since clarko walked throuigh the door is a testiment to how godo he has been (let us nto forget his first win as coach was against the previous years runner's up)

im very excited about bailey being in charge of the dees. i think he will be the coach to take us to a premiership in the next 5-6 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate you don't need to be a sydney supporter to say paul roo's think about it he got 2003 prelims with a team that was favourite for wooden spoon 2004 got to semi finals with a team that was expected to not finish in the 8
2005 won the premiureship against a suppior team in west coast after the whole mid season controversy (and the team wasn't even seen as premiureship material by our supporters even then)
2006 runner up with an ageing team with a couple of injures got to 1 point of a west coast team wanting revenge
2007 at about round 17 was looking top four before kennely broke down made the finals with hall struggleing all season and goodes struggleing with minour injuries

swans people used to say that rodney eade was very ordinary in game plan , or any pre day match stradegy , but when the game started he was second to none in match ups, and game stradegy

i thought rodney eade was a good on field coach but he didn't develop youngsters very well and sometimes choose wrong players or would make stupid trades.

tactically he was a very good coach but look at the doggies started off with a bang under him then this year fail to kick on could be telling you something

terry wallace os overated what has he done to desearve reconision only match i can think of was two years ago richmond adalaid passing around tactics

Probably have Laidley at No 5 before Wallace.

I wouldn't as he makes some stupid decisions during a game. I reckon he's beta pre match than during.

Although you don't know how much say the others have in the box.

Sometimes the best match coaches aren't cause they give to much responsibilty to the assistants which most are given a job for the sake of it.

Agree with your choices here, except there is no way Worsfold is the second best match day coach. As a leader of men, maybe Worsfold would make the top 5 (although he did come across as naive and weak in his dealings with WC's drug issues), however if he was any good as a match day coach, he would have been able to convert WC's midfield dominance into big scores. He can't seem to find a way to combat other teams clogging WC's front half, which says to me he is lacking ideas.

Eade would have to rate higher as a match day coach. He has been able to play games on his terms constantly in his career (ie. the other coaches reacting to what he does, not the other way round). Although 2007 was ordinary, the way he was able to set up matches for the Dogs to win with no KPP strength in 2006 was pretty amazing. The Dogs were playing a different game to everyone else because of their lack of height and more often than not the game was played on their terms.

Roos would also rate higher than Worsfold for getting the game to be played the way he wants so as to advantage his team.

IMO the recruiting staff at WC has had a much greater impact on their success than anything Worsfold has done on match day.

It is quite simple to me - if you need to be the best coach and a genius on match day, you are obviously the worst coach on every other day of the week.

That's a pretty stupid and broad statement. What if all 16 coaches have similar non-matchday skills, being the best match day coach will give you the edge.

That's a pretty stupid and broad statement. What if all 16 coaches have similar non-matchday skills, being the best match day coach will give you the edge.

It's footy - not rocket science FFS.

If you practise something and plan for something all week and then just throw that plan out the window because it's not working on matchday, you are first - reactionary, and second - hoping that a largely unpractised Plan B may just come off.

Never is it proactive because if that was the case you would have had plan B from the start.

Sheedy got this up in the '84 Grand Final in a less complicated age and has been lauded for it ever since. That's fine, but it is not the reality.

We are not dealing with Grand Masters of chess here that control the game by moving pieces - we are dealing with footballers playing with an elongated round object who have good days and bad days, sometimes it's on a string and others not. Some of them are better than others - some a lot.

Ultimately every coach goes into a game with a plan that has been meticulously worked on for a long time and matchday only serves to unravel that plan. It's those who cope best that win - most of the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Match Day Coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Back