Henry Yoghurt

Rookie
Sep 22, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
AC Milan
Which team do you think had the best midfield this decade out of Brisbane, West Coast and Geelong? Not judging by depth, as rotations have increased so much in the last few years. Just the top 4 at the club at the time.

Brisbane c. 2002 (Voss, Lappin, Black, Akermanis)

West Coast c. 2006 (Cousins, Judd, Kerr, Embley)

Geelong c. 2009 (Ablett, Bartel, Corey, Selwood)

Which team do you think had the best midfield this decade out of Brisbane, West Coast and Geelong? Not judging by depth, as rotations have increased so much in the last few years. Just the top 4 at the club at the time.

Straight out. Brisbane, Geelong a close Second, WCE third.
Overall however
Geelongs second tiers would be better than both brisbane and wCE in their respective primes. But yeah Black one of the most consistent performers, Voss one of the top 3 footballers in the last decade (arguably), Lappin probably the Corey of the group and Aker like bartel, but probably better in his prime as aker had the ability to kick goals alot more.

Considering games are generally won & lost in the midfield, i'm suprised at the lack of recognition Geelong's get in terms of greatness.

Geelong have won 68 of thier last 79 games, with 2/3 flags. Never a better winning percentage over 3 seasons.

Geelong and Brisbane both had better teams overall but WCE's were absolutely carried by their midfield. Down back all they really had was Glass and a couple of decent honest players. Up forward they really din't have much at all. The likes of Q.Lynch and A.Hansen were made out to be quality KP's just by the sheer ability of that eagles midfield. Yet they made it to 2 consecutive Grand Finals and won a premiership. At that time Embley and Kerr were both playing terrific footy and Judd/Cousins were absolute stars with Judd being the clear #1 player in the comp. Also i think they were a more devastating combination as they all possessed leg speed to break the lines on top of being top level midfielders.

I would probably rate it WCE > Geelong > Brisbane. That said not too much seperating them at all. Also that's rating them at the level they were back then.

Geelong and Brisbane both had better teams overall but WCE's were absolutely carried by their midfield. Down back all they really had was Glass and a couple of decent honest players. Up forward they really din't have much at all. The likes of Q.Lynch and A.Hansen were made out to be quality KP's just by the sheer ability of that eagles midfield. Yet they made it to 2 consecutive Grand Finals and won a premiership. At that time Embley and Kerr were both playing terrific footy and Judd/Cousins were absolute stars with Judd being the clear #1 player in the comp. Also i think they were a more devastating combination as they all possessed leg speed to break the lines on top of being top level midfielders.

This.

Most BigFooty pundits figure the Lions fab four was the best on account of 3 premierships, but don't really consider the rest of the team.

Throw in Dean Cox, and the starting midfield of Judd, Cousins and Kerr (all playing career best footy) was essentially good enough to make two GFs and win a premiership almost entirely off its own back.

WCE > Brisbane > Geelong.

This thread only counts players that win premierships.

But in any case why not count these.

Goodes, Kirk, Bolton, O'Keefe

Burgoyne, Carr, Kornes, Pickett

Look I don't really know if these were the players that were the guns mids from these grand final winning sides but in any case why don't they deserve the same recognition that Judd/Cousins seem to get??

This thread only counts players that win premierships.

But in any case why not count these.

Goodes, Kirk, Bolton, O'Keefe

Burgoyne, Carr, Kornes, Pickett

Look I don't really know if these were the players that were the guns mids from these grand final winning sides but in any case why don't they deserve the same recognition that Judd/Cousins seem to get??

Because they weren't as good at football as them.
Ports team was amazing, they weren't carried by their mids like WC was, they were unlucky Brisbane were such a force when Tredrae was dominating because they could easily have won another premiership with the side they had. Sydney also had a more even spread across their team then WC, also their mids can be seen as more workman like than out and out star studded, plus they played boring football and grinded out games whereas the WCE trio broke the lines and dominated games.

I would probably rate it WCE > Geelong > Brisbane. That said not too much seperating them at all. Also that's rating them at the level they were back then.

Summed it up perfectly. West Coast's midfield back then was extremely hard to stop. Kerr may not look good now and Embley looks like a spud at the moment but put them in with Judd and Cousins and you have one of the best midfields ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ill look at it this way: placing the players in team order from best to worst (for want of a better word) midfielder.

Voss, Akermanis, Black, Lappin
Cousins, Judd, Kerr, Embley
Ablett, Bartel, Selwood, Corey

Now i will compare the 1st best, 2nd best, 3rd best and 4th best and come up with a conclusion looking at each player from the position in their midfield group and compare it to the others.

Group of 1st best midfielders Voss > Ablett > Cousins (Just between Ablett and Cousins)
Group of 2nd best midfielders Judd > Akermanis > Bartel
Group of 3rd best midfielders Black > Kerr > Selwood
Group of 4th best midfielders Corey > Lappin > Embley

Therefore
Brisbane have 2 X 1st, 2 x 2nd
West Coast 1 X 1st, 2 X 2nd & 1 3rd
Geelong 1 x 1st, 1 X 2nd & 2 X 3rd

Conclusion

Brisbane then West Coast then Geelong

Geelong do have a deeper midfield group when you add Chapman & Ling Brisbane's next best Power and Hart
West Coast Fletcher & Braun

Brisbane > WCE > Gee

Voss/Lappin/Akermanis/Black + Hart/Power/Headland etc are untouchable.

You should have stopped while you were ahead.

Minus the ruckman, Brisbane's is the best first 4.

If you want to go on adding then Geelong would slaughter both for depth.

lets get one thing straight, as good as cousins was, chris judd was out and out our best midfielder.

people do forget how good this guy was, if you watch west coast games circa 2005-early 2007 you will realise that he was indeed a better player than ablett is now. the way i see it, 25 judd touches > 40 ablett touches. he ran in straight lines, directly at the forward 50 and broke the game open. ablett, whilst also explosive accumulates many disposals with 1-2s and handball receives. judd's contested game is very under-rated in this sense.

not taking anything away from ablett, he's an absolute gun and the best player in the comp...but judd was something else.

add kerr, who on his day was better than the lot.

they really carried our entire team through that period, i mean look at our forward line...was average at best.

WCE > Brisbane > Geelong

When you look at forwards or defenders of the Geelong and Brisbane teams you can see why they were so dominant. When you look at the forwards and defenders of the West Coast team, you can see why their midfield was so damn good.

I'll say Geelong based on depth. You could take out Ablett, Bartel and Selwood and still have one of the best midfields in the AFL currently.

Based on a starting centre square midfield, I can't go past West Coast because in addition to Cousins, Judd and Kerr you have one of the greatest ruckmen of all time and certainly the ruckman of the decade, Dean Cox.

Based on a starting centre square midfield, I can't go past West Coast because in addition to Cousins, Judd and Kerr you have one of the greatest ruckmen of all time and certainly the ruckman of the decade, Dean Cox.
Spot on. If your rating the best midfield, traditionally it must include a Ruck in the 4. Best 6 if you include the wingers.

West coast win the best 4. Best 6 im gonna choose cats (bias) but they are all so even it could go either way.

Keating? Voss, Akermanis, Black, Lappin, Power
Cox, Cousins, Judd, Kerr, Embley, Fletcher
Ottens, Ablett, Bartel, Selwood, Corey, Ling

lets get one thing straight, as good as cousins was, chris judd was out and out our best midfielder.
Cousins made Judd look better then he was. Saddest thing ever is how Cousins career went downhill. Hardest runner and one of the best ever.

people do forget how good this guy was, if you watch west coast games circa 2005-early 2007 you will realise that he was indeed a better player than ablett is now. the way i see it, 25 judd touches > 40 ablett touches. he ran in straight lines, directly at the forward 50 and broke the game open. ablett, whilst also explosive accumulates many disposals with 1-2s and handball receives. judd's contested game is very under-rated in this sense.

not taking anything away from ablett, he's an absolute gun and the best player in the comp...but judd was something else.

Pretty much everyone agrees how good Judd is as getting the ball out of packs, I certainly do. I think that's his number one attribute. But I'm far from convinced his disposals are any more damaging than Ablett's are.

Judd may run directly at the forward line, and probably did have more inside 50s, but there's one important stat you have to remember:

Goals.

And in the last 3 years, Judd has kicked 47 goals, which is pretty damn useful for a top class midfielder.

But Ablett has kicked 83. So while he might get plenty of possessions in the middle and backline, he does plenty of damage up forward too.

a good point, ablett is a far superior player around the goals to judd. he's much more clever and elusive around the sticks as he spent his earlier years up front.

i was mainly comparing eagles judd with present ablett though. in his last 3 years at west coast (2007 mainly injury interrupted), judd kicked 64 goals. about a goal a game.

64 vs 83 isnt as big a margin. but it does show that ablett is the best goal kicking mid in the comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Midfield of 2000s

Back