Best player of the Decade

Remove this Banner Ad

Judd for me but to have Riewoldt & Franklin and not have Pavlich is ridiculous.

FWIW I think Franklin will win when this question is posed next decade.

You should've just named the poll "best player of the last 2 years", coz really that's all it is.

Voss for mine. I can't believe you left out a player who has captained 3 premierships and been named MVP twice this decade.

Also Black, Akermanis, Hird, Buckley, Riccuito (spelling?), Cousins, Tredrea, J. Brown, Pavlich and Lappin all deserve to be here ahead of Luke Hodge and Nick Riewoldt.

He only really had one great year and wasn't even considered the best back then.
Yeah I was gonna say, I don't think Brad Johnson's ever even been considered the best player in the comp at any given stage of a season, never mind over the decade. Top 5 definitely, but I don't think he's ever been thought of as the best.

Most of the players in the list have only player a handful of years so how can they be the best in the decade

How can Judd be in this?

He has had 3 superstar seasons at most, and by superstar I mean be absolutely dominant.

I do believe he can get back to his best this season though.

From Port I'd say Tredrea.

Outside of Port, I'd say Pavlich.

Not saying he is given his injury nightmares of the past three seasons, but seriously, how many other key position candidates have a CV better than this?

Warren Tredrea (2000-Present)

Games: 189
Goals: 415
Port Adelaide leading goalkicker 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005
All-Australian Centre Half Forward 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
All-Australian Vice-Captain 2004
Port Adelaide John Cahill Medal 2001, 2004, 2005
Port Adelaide John Cahill Medal Runner-Up 2002, 2003
Port Adelaide Pre-season premiership team 2002
Leigh Matthews Trophy Third Placed 2003, 2004
Port Adelaide Premiership team 2004 (captain)
AFL Coaches Association Player of the Year 2004
Herald-Sun Player of the Year 2004
3AW Player of the Year 2004
The Advertiser Player of the Year 2004
Triple M Player of the Year 2004
The Age Player of the Year 2004
Showdown Medal 2004 (Round 22)
Port Adelaide Captain 2006-2008

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not saying he is given his injury nightmares of the past three seasons, but seriously, how many other key position candidates have a CV better than this?

Warren Tredrea (2000-Present)

Games: 189
Goals: 415
Port Adelaide leading goalkicker 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005
All-Australian Centre Half Forward 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
All-Australian Vice-Captain 2004
Port Adelaide John Cahill Medal 2001, 2004, 2005
Port Adelaide John Cahill Medal Runner-Up 2002, 2003
Port Adelaide Pre-season premiership team 2002
Leigh Matthews Trophy Third Placed 2003, 2004
Port Adelaide Premiership team 2004 (captain)
AFL Coaches Association Player of the Year 2004
Herald-Sun Player of the Year 2004
3AW Player of the Year 2004
The Advertiser Player of the Year 2004
Triple M Player of the Year 2004
The Age Player of the Year 2004
Showdown Medal 2004 (Round 22)

Port Adelaide Captain 2006-2008

All those awards are essentially the same thing. Gary Ablett was my player of the year for 07 and 08 so should we add them to his resume?

Showdown Medal:rolleyes:

All those awards are essentially the same thing. Gary Ablett was my player of the year for 07 and 08 so should we add them to his resume?

They categorically state that everyone bar the umpires (he was raging Brownlow Medal favourite) and the players (popularity and media exposure contest) believed he was the champion of 2004.

I find it interesting you've highlighted the AFL Coaches MVP with the media ones though. I mean what would the coaches know, eh?

Showdown Medal:rolleyes:

I'd take BOG in a Showdown over BOG on ANZAC Day any day of the week.

Michael Voss without a shadow of a doubt, triple premiership captain of the greatest side ever, and one of the greatest and toughest onfield leaders the game has ever seen ( if not the greatest).

What he achieved in his career, just about every player to have played the game would swapp their achievements for.

above all what i find most humerous is that the creater of this thread, obviously didnt take too much care in making it, as he didnt even put the captain of the greatest side of all time on the list for voting.

They categorically state that everyone bar the umpires (he was raging Brownlow Medal favourite) and the players (popularity and media exposure contest) believed he was the champion of 2004.

I find it interesting you've highlighted the AFL Coaches MVP with the media ones though. I mean what would the coaches know, eh?

Yes but it's not like they are different awards. It's just the same thing from different people and they were all for the one year. What if the media gave out a coleman, plus the AFL gave out their's and the players all gave out an award for the leading goal kicker too. Get the idea. Its still one achievement in the 1 year.

I'd take BOG in a Showdown over BOG on ANZAC Day any day of the week.

Who gives a **** if he was best on ground against the crows once. Richo was best on ground against the Hawks this year why don't we give him a medal. And another for round 1 against Carlton. And one more for his BOG against Freo.

The showdown and anzac medal mean nothing.

Yes but it's not like they are different awards. It's just the same thing from different people and they were all for the one year. What if the media gave out a coleman, plus the AFL gave out their's and the players all gave out an award for the leading goal kicker too. Get the idea. Its still one achievement in the 1 year.

The 16 AFL Coaches in a given year aren't the media.

You know, they're those fellas who select the sides, sit behind the glass, yell down the phone, address the players at quarter breaks and hand out best and fairest votes and the pinkslips at the end of the year?

Bottom line is, the men who run the onfield operations of each club believed Tredrea was the #1 player in 2004 - that is a superb accolade.

You know, they're those fellas who select the sides, sit behind the glass, yell down the phone, address the players at quarter breaks and hand out best and fairest votes and the pinkslips at the end of the year?

Bottom line is, the men who run the onfield operations of each club believed Tredrea was the #1 player in 2004 - that is a superb accolade.

And it was one year. Voss and Ablett were the best in the league for 2 years each. Regardless of how many people say he was the best of 04 it is still just the one year.

Weren't they at their peak in the 90s?

Surely your not serious? I swear Buckley won a brownlow in 2003. His best years were 97-03. 3 in each decade.

Voss captained 3 premierships and Hird was still near his peak for the majority of the low 00s

All 3 far ahead of Pavlich etc.

And it was one year. Voss and Ablett were the best in the league for 2 years each. Regardless of how many people say he was the best of 04 it is still just the one year.

Ah OK, so the 4 consecutive All-Australian CHF gongs don't count then.

In your eagerness to piss on my post I don't think you bothered to read it properly.

Go back, I preface it by saying "Not saying he is [the best of the decade]...", however it is an extremely strong CV for a KPP.

If you want to argue against the latter you're either being needlessly provocative, biased or don't know what you're talking about tbh.

you have got to be joking if you expect a bloke who has struggled to touch a football in the past 2 seasons, that has been playing nothing more then a C grade footballer, to be in a select group of players to be voted as "player of the decade".

He had one very good year back in 2004, which was equally matched by several other forwards, if not better. Riewoldt, Brown, Gheric, Lloyd.

So what he did achieve in that one year is not as big a stand out as what Judd and Ablett did in their dominant years.

il ask you this, Adam Goodes has 2 brownlows, Michael Voss has 3 premiership captain medals sitting on his bedside table, and was rated 15th greatest player of all time by Mike sheean,Garry Ablett and Judd are just a level above the rest in terms of skill, and have only begun their careers, their really is no need to put up a case for those two's inclusion

Why should a player like Warren Tredrea, with his resume of backyard awards be put on the same shelf as those mentioned above? what does he possibly have to run against a voss or a goodes?

you have got to be joking if you expect a bloke who has struggled to touch a football in the past 2 seasons, that has been playing nothing more then a C grade footballer, to be in a select group of players to be voted as "player of the decade".

He had one very good year back in 2004, which was equally matched by several other forwards, if not better. Riewoldt, Brown, Gheric, Lloyd.

So what he did achieve in that one year is not as big a stand out as what Judd and Ablett did in their dominant years.

il ask you this, Adam Goodes has 2 brownlows, Michael Voss has 3 premiership captain medals sitting on his bedside table, and was rated 15th greatest player of all time by Mike sheean,Garry Ablett and Judd are just a level above the rest in terms of skill, and have only begun their careers, their really is no need to put up a case for those two's inclusion

Why should a player like Warren Tredrea, with his resume of backyard awards be put on the same shelf as those mentioned above? what does he possibly have to run against a voss or a goodes?

That's just absurd. "C-Grade footballer"? Sure you're not getting him confused with Cameron 'Cherrypicker' Mooney?

Again - I didn't say he was the best because his last three years have been destroyed by injury.

However, you can't argue with 4 All-Australian CHF guernseys (no current player comes close), 3 Best and Fairests and 3 BnF runners-up in a side that was a perennial challenger and his brilliant 2004 when he did it all as has been mentioned. Across the league he is also second in contested marks to Richo in the period and #1 for goal assists - bread and butter for a true CHF.

Shit players don't dominate the hardest position on the ground for half a decade. To even suggest this is ridiculous and suggests you're either 15 or emigrated to Australia only recently.

Ah OK, so the 4 consecutive All-Australian CHF gongs don't count then.

In your eagerness to piss on my post I don't think you bothered to read it properly.

Go back, I preface it by saying "Not saying he is [the best of the decade]...", however it is an extremely strong CV for a KPP.

If you want to argue against the latter you're either being needlessly provocative, biased or don't know what you're talking about tbh.

The main point I was trying to make was that that list had about 12 different awards on it, when really about 5 of them were for the same thing.

Not saying he only had one good year but he only had 1 year where he was considered exceptional. Seriously who else was there back between 01-04 playing CHF? Riewoldt was good for a year. Carey was finished. Pavlich was playing down back and in the middle. The only other top quality CHF was Barry Hall, who only played a full year in 03/04.

Tredrea was dominant in 04 and good in 01,02,03,05. Apart from those 5 years he's been very mediocre.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best player of the Decade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back