Best raspy/screeching vocal performances

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a just OK soul-pop crossover album with fairly lite songwriting and arrangements. I hold onto it because of the unusual raspy voice of the lead singer Joe Pope. I just remembered this song because it's the only song I know that mentions recently departed US baseball legend Willie Mays. "Be Young, Be Foolish, Be Happy" is the best known hit song by this group.

I Shall Be Free off Freewheelin' Bob Dylan mentions Willie Mays.

I Shall Be Free off Freewheelin' Bob Dylan mentions Willie Mays.

Good memory. I had to listen all the way through to find it - I thought I had the wrong song for a while. Although his voice on that song doesn't fit in this section, it would in a category called "people who sound much older than they are".

I really like this version. Just a bunch of young kids having a really good time and doing a great version. The singers voice totally suits the song, a cover of the Ozzy Osbourne song Crazy Train.

Last edited:
I heard the Blues Brothers cover of this recently on one of those supermarket radio stations and bloke looking at the deli section started singing along to it, but it's no match on the original version by the 5 Du-Tones.

There's the lead vocal and there's the fellow who provides the scream.

Best raspy/screeching vocal performances

Remove this Banner Ad

Back