Best Recruiter and Traders of Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Tim56
I think Craig Cameron has been doing a pretty good job at Melbourne, picking up Cameron Bruce and Brad Miller with picks in the 60's, and a few other really good late pick ups. Corcoran goes ok, mixed record in trading.

Serious question. Who was responsible for the recent acquisition of Luke Molan (pick 8ish), Chris Heffernan (for pick 10), Gary Moorcroft, Aaron Rogers and Chris Lamb (pick 13)?

I rate Stibbard very highly. Has made a few blunders obviously, but I can only find one fault in his last 4 drafts, and that was, from what i have been told, a player Pagan pushed hard for.

I reckon Essendon are the best at middle range and rookie list selections, but get a bit "creative" with early picks. The Geelong bloke has done excellent things.

Whoever was Hawthorns in the past 5 years was poor.

Clayton is overrated IMO.

Originally posted by phatandphreaky
Serious question. Who was responsible for the recent acquisition of Luke Molan (pick 8ish), Chris Heffernan (for pick 10), Gary Moorcroft, Aaron Rogers and Chris Lamb (pick 13)?
I dare say Neale Daniher was the one who wanted Moorcroft.

And we traded pick 10 for Heffernan and pick 15.

Craig Cameron has only made one major mistake with an early pick, that being Molan (injuries haven't helped but he was never worth pick 9).

Sheedy has always been good come trade time, and we have done very well, if not quite as well as Melbourne via the Rookie draft.

Melbourne got R.Robertson J.McDonald and a few others in 1 year didnt they?

Originally posted by Porthos
On the contrary understudy, Surjan looks the goods.

Alan Stewart has been Port's recruiter since 1997, Moylan was football manager in 1997 (but got ousted by Cahill) and until last year Rob Snowdon (former Sydney recruiter) had been football manager.

Snowdon retired, and we got Moylan back as football manager. Now Stewart has dropped down to a Head Scout role for more free time, and Mick is in charge of recruiting.

Alan Stewart is not only a top notch recruiter but a great coach and the best talent spotter around. He's the best coach I have ever heard speak, and his history speaks for itself.

Whether it's in coaching (Teal cup SA, Central District etc) or recruiting (Can Port Adelaide's list be any deeper?).

Originally posted by phatandphreaky

Molan has had 2 knee reco's, and we might yet see him come through. Heffernan was traded for pick 16 as well, Moorcroft was a stuff up, Rogers was pick 26, and could still make it with Sydney, I love Lamb but no one else seems to.

Also, Jared Rivers was taken about 1 pick before Rogers. Recruiting is a hit and miss business, but we make a fair few hits.

How about Judkins - anyone rate him?

Did some good work at Essendon and at Collingwood. Ben Johnson pick no. 60, tarkyn lockyer rookie list, Leon Davis pick 35.

At Essendon Michael Long.

I don't know how long Johnny Beveridge has been around St Kilda, but I think he's been there for a while.

draft:
pick, player
48 Aussie Jones
19 Barry Hall
62 Andrew Thompson
27 Steven Baker
13 Dal Santo
21 Maguire
37 Montagna
46 Leigh Fisher
11 Hayes
2 Murray (rookie)
23 Stephen Milne (rookie)

traded in:
D Wakelin for pick 42
Gehrig for Sierakowski and pick 18
Knobel for pick 45
Penny for pick 17

All very handy players for us.

You still read things about Ron Joseph from time to time, with the 10 yr rule it was pretty hard not to be a good recruiter though. Imagine that rule getting thrown back in there now!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adrian "Mullet" Dodoro

Blake Caracella and Pick 62 for Adam McPhee and Damian Cupido

Cory McGrath for Justin Murphy

Nathan Lovett-Murray (Collingwood Rookies)

Danny Jacobs for Kepler Bradley (Pick 6) and Mark Alvey

Pick 50-something for Matthew Allan

Still Unproven:

Chris Heffernan for Jason Laycock (Pick 11)
Justin Blumfield for Tristan Cartledge (Pick 28)

Originally posted by bLuEMoOsE
Sheedy has always been good come trade time, and we have done very well, if not quite as well as Melbourne via the Rookie draft.

Melbourne got R.Robertson J.McDonald and a few others in 1 year didnt they?

Have to agree with you here, and one doesn’t have to look far to see it. If Jacobs is worthy of any clubs 2 first picks ill eat………..(use your imagination). Cos that’s what Hawthorn gave up, someone had to convince them it was a good deal?

It is hard to judge how good a job recruiters do as in many cases the selections they make are overuled by the coaching staff wanting a certain type of player.

One of the first things that Grant Thomas did when he took over was to give John Beveridge full control of what draft selections he makes. His mandate is simple. Rank players from number 1 to whatever and then pick the best player available.

I am sure that all recruiting officers can give you plenty of stories of when they wanted to draft a particular player but were told to pick someone else.

When it comes to trading players, clubs must be prepared to give away good players or picks to receive good players. Some clubs want to trade an old Commodore to receive a Rolls Royce. St.Kilda have received a lot of good draft picks and recruited some very good players, but they were willing to trade Darryl Wakeln, Barry Hall and Peter Everitt to get them. in other words, you get what you pay for.

sheeds no1
bevo no2

bevo had a bad trough when timmid over ruled him on a number of players such as tony francis, damien monkhorst and couple of others.

I am led to believe GT leaves bevo alone now

Sorry JackD don’t agree. Saints have given up some quality and have drafted well, but! Generally when they traded their 3rd round pick to say the Eagles, it was basically worth a 2nd round pick to them. Do the math, this pick would have been only a few picks after their 2nd pick, while StKilda had a PP, No1 pick and No17-19 pick before giving up their 3rd rounder. Then they had first grab at uncontracted players. Massive, massive advantages any way you look at it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Recruiter and Traders of Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back