Best ruckman of 2018

Best ruckman is...

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

All three are very different sorts of players and if your honest you would be happy to have any of the three at your Club.

They all bring different attributes to the game and the all have very different impacts on the game for their respective teams.

So any comparison based on just one set of figures will always be skewed.

In reality its difficult to compare them because of their individual skill set and dominance which help coaches design set plays and game plans around the respective players strengths and weaknesses.

These three dominant ruckmen are also very much products of the support cast that surround them on the field.

I am happy to concede that Gawn and Grundy may be ahead for the sake of appeasing others.

But for our game plan and our style NN suits us nicely.

Three magnificent players that would be welcome additions to any team.

As to who is the best I think we are splitting hairs.

download-6 copy 2.jpg

After a few years of people talking about the end of ruckman I am really enjoying watching rucks dominate. They may not have got the execution quite right but I'd say the third man up rules have kind of worked.

For this year I'd have Gawn slightly ahead of Grundy. NicNat could be at their level but is really held back by his still lower game time. I'd say he is back with Martin as the best of the rest. Martin is also having another super year as a ruck. Just unlucky that there are a couple of guys have amazing seasons in front of him

Gawn
Grundy
NicNat

Not a huge gap between any of them honestly. Three really great ruckmen, all pretty young still too. This could be a conversation for a long-while.

Gawn and Grundy hard to split based on this season, Nic nat over their careers. Naitanui still has the most impact per minute, but due to his limited game time this year you have to put both the others ahead of him for the time being. Will back him in to reclaim the title as best ruck once he is fit enough to play full minutes again. No knock on Gawn and Grundy however as they are absolute superstars, I just personally rank Naitanui's best due to the quality of his taps to advantage, the lack of impact opposing rucks tend to have against him, and his 2nd, 3rd and 4th efforts which are unrivalled by anyone and can turn a contest on its head.

1. Max Gawn
2. Brodie Grundy
3. Nic Naitanui
4. Stefan Martin
5. Toby Nankervis
6. Aaron Sandilands
7. Jarrod Witts
8. Callum Sinclair
9. Ben McEvoy
10. Todd Goldstein
Good call out of Jarrod Witts. Quietly doing his job up in the coast. Averaging 16 possessions a game and 35 hitouts. Coming along nicely for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NicNat brings the intangible, Magic The Gathering style effect of giving all other players on the field +1 in power and inspiration, even if he is technically a 'worse' player

NicNat brings the intangible, Magic The Gathering style effect of giving all other players on the field +1 in power and inspiration, even if he is technically a 'worse' player
so we are using make belief intangibles up now, are we?

Yes. A NicNat spectacular mark of the year contender or tackle gives bloodlust to the other West Coast players
A bit like when Gawn runs out the Melbourne players get a bonus +2 for stamina and a bonus +5 for kicking ability as long as he uses his gold power turbo card before the quarter time siren.

A bit like when Gawn runs out the Melbourne players get a bonus +2 for stamina and a bonus +5 for kicking ability as long as he uses his gold power turbo card before the quarter time siren.
Maybe. I guess so. He seems rather vanilla white guy with a beard to me. Could be a talismanic beard

Maybe. I guess so. He seems rather vanilla white guy with a beard to me. Could be a talismanic beard
Each player receives a -8 skill level if Gawn turns up to a game with no beard

Pretty neck and neck season, pretty neck and neck game. Gawn better first half, Grundy better second half. Gawn more disposals, one goal. Grundy, more tackles, more hit-outs.

Can't stand anyone who tries to argue one is "far" ahead of the other.

How do you guys think these two went in their battle today?

I thought Gawn started off strongly and looked the better of the two but Grundy worked his way back into the contest to break even.

Gawn usually gives his mids first use of the footy which helps with clearances but Collingwood absolutely smashed the Dees in clearances today. (45-26)

They shared the spoils today IMO.

Gawn - 17 possessions (58%), 33 hitouts, 1 goal (2 score involvements), 1 tackle and 2 clearances.

Grundy - 13 possessions (76%), 38 hitouts, 0 goals (3 score involvements), 7 tackles and 4 clearances.

How did the thread get this far without the omission of Ryder as a poll option being added. On form this year, and for his value as an extra midfielder I give it to Grundy but Ryder is close.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best ruckman of 2018

Back