Best singing voices ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

O so many delights. Some of my faves.
Karen Carpenter - like a silky smooth merlot on a winter's night.
Hayley Westenra - cut glass
Roy Orbison / Chris Isaak - I rate them both.
Freddy Mercury
Linda Ronstadt
Pat Benatar
John Farnham
Daryl Braithwaite
One that is completely overlooked is Bob Carlisle - yeah the Butterfly Kisses guy. Disregard Butterfly Kisses. The guy has the vocal chops and delivery of a Robert Plant!

One who has a great voice but unfortunately the emotional range of a house brick is Rita Coolidge.
Always gave the impression of singing from an auto-cue.

Dinah Washington, Lani Hall and Marilyn McCoo should get a mention in addition to Karen Carpenter, Linda Rondstat et al.

Patricia Janečková for a 20 year old is pretty impressive.

Agree with Sam Cooke, Elvis and the Big O.

Magic voices.

Go back to the first page.
Eva Cassidy
Tom Waits
Meatloaf, til he choked on that meat pie at the Grandy.

Barnesy's wrecked his voice, but he sang like a farkin bird on the first 5 Chisel albums, which the exception of a few on the rockier songs where he gravelled it up (Goodbye Astrid, for example)
I remember he cancelled a show at Thebey theatre because of a soar throat on the last stand tour. I went the first night and he sang fine. I got a bottle of bourbon confiscated at the front door. I told the missus not to take such a big bag! lol.
So we got tickets for another show. Got the bottle in this time. He wasnt the same. I went to shows of his solo phase and he was never the same!
He could REALLY sing, but I reckon he killed his voice on that last stand tour in Adelaide. He cant sing to save himself now. Its really sad to see him reduced to a laughing stock now.

I remember he cancelled a show at Thebey theatre because of a soar throat on the last stand tour. I went the first night and he sang fine. I got a bottle of bourbon confiscated at the front door. I told the missus not to take such a big bag! lol.
So we got tickets for another show. Got the bottle in this time. He wasnt the same. I went to shows of his solo phase and he was never the same!
He could REALLY sing, but I reckon he killed his voice on that last stand tour in Adelaide. He cant sing to save himself now. Its really sad to see him reduced to a laughing stock now.

I saw one of his solo shows in the 90s and he could still belt out a tune then, he often sounds like he's on the verge of losing his voice but powers through it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nat King Cole. Legend has it (well, a story on a documentary) that he didn't even want to be a singer, he just wanted to play jazz piano, which is what he did at first. His jazz band had regular gig at a bar, and one day the owner of the bar said that they had to get a singer or lose the gig. So, given no one else was available, or they didn't want to pay an extra member, Nat started singing, and the rest is history

Last edited:
Nat King Cole. Legend has it (well, a story on a documentary) that he didn't even want to be a singer, he just wanted to play jazz piano, which is what he did at first. His jazz band had regular gig at a bar, and one day the owner of the bar said that they had to get a singer or lose the gig. So, given no one else was available (or they didn't want to pay an extra member), Nat started singing, and the rest is history

He always had such beautiful phrasing too.

How did a I forget about Martin Plaza? Great voice.

All the best Mentals songs were with him on lead vocals rather than Greedy Smith.

Plaza

Smith

You be the judge.

But if you choose Smith you're a shit judge.

Last edited:
How did a I forget about Martin Plaza? Great voice.

All the best Mentals songs were with him on lead vocals rather than Greedy Smith.

Plaza

Smith

You be the judge.

But if you choose Smith you're a shit judge.

As if Live It Up isn't the GOAT Mentals song - go back to New Zealand

Thats because you dont need to be able to sing anymore.
There is no doubt there are people who can sing in the current generation, but they are not getting a look in.
I've never really rated the ability of pop and rock singers, but a surprising number of top male opera singers started out in heavy metal bands (e.g. Ricardo Massi).

In general, metal singers tend to have excellent knowledge of singing technique and theory. No idea why. Maybe it's a German thing.

I cant believe so many of you know who Karen Carpenter is let alone know she had the voice of an angel.
Congrats.

Paul Rodgers has to be in the top 10. Maybe not technically but as far as rock voices go, its top 3.
Well she was in a band that sold millions upon millions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best singing voices ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back