Best Solos

Remove this Banner Ad

Starsheen

Cancelled
Jul 17, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hey guys post of your favourite solos or epic guitar riffs. Just wanna see what some peoples opinions are and see what comes up. I have lots I love but I'll start with this gem

[YOUTUBE]ZUzpf3mMsxA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]EzgGTTtR0kc[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]faEX3qjP9Mc[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]mYlUe-SDqA0[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]8nx1nuq1Pt4[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]adV8-_hgL4g[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]OorZcOzNcgE[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]ULEBSxP725w[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]D0QKbnCDW94[/YOUTUBE]

Keith's (starts around 3 mins) and Mick's (around 5mins) solos in this are fantastic.

[youtube]8WvFO-V8Ub0[/youtube]

anything by slash!

November Rain - Guns N' Roses
Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns N' Roses
Alive - Pearl Jam
Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
Fade to Black - Metallica
You Shook me All Night Long - AC/DC

Hendrix..no one song, but probably All Along the Watchtower.

Tom Morello makes the best riffs

I'm digging Dustie Waring's solo in Augment of Rebirth (Between the Buried and Me) at the moment

[YOUTUBE]M1mHde3vkYA[/YOUTUBE]
(Starts at 5:28)

But I think the solo in Selkies wins.

[YOUTUBE]19UZd_DKs2Q[/YOUTUBE]

Then there's also ad a dglgmut's solo, coupled with the meaning of the song and the context in which the solo comes in, it's pretty amazing...not to mention Mordecai's solo...the drum solo in Swim to the Moon is amazing too, does that count? So many haha...

Some nice solo work from Mike Campbell here. The Heartbreakers are such an underrated band, quality musicians.

[YOUTUBE]xtgYXLl3Wgc[/YOUTUBE]

Marty Willson-Piper epic solo. Saw this gig live, Marty is an absolute guitar god, he had the crowd in the palm of his hand the whole night.

[YOUTUBE]yWBpdN5Trg0[/YOUTUBE]

anything by slash!

November Rain - Guns N' Roses
Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns N' Roses
Alive - Pearl Jam
Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
Fade to Black - Metallica
You Shook me All Night Long - AC/DC

Hendrix..no one song, but probably All Along the Watchtower.

Tom Morello makes the best riffs
Nice list.

Would add Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Metal guitar solos showcase the best talent but I still like solos in punk rock songs a whole lot better. They are just shorter, more to the point and usually fit in well with the whole song (whereas some long metal guitar solos could fit in any metal song).

Couple of my faves from punk/thrash band Propagandhi (in their thrash metal era)

Propagandhi: Purina hall of fame (3:50 onwards)

[youtube]SvMjAL2WeiM[/youtube]

Iteration (3:50)
[youtube]0omgYNxZseA[/youtube]

Here's a typical punk song that starts with a great guitar solo part.

Bad Religion - I Want to Conquer the World

[youtube]m8aK4xbJOqQ[/youtube]

How Chicago started out. Terry Kath's solo starts just after the two minute mark.

[YOUTUBE]WmOEwiz5Kxs[/YOUTUBE]

Wow!! I was just gunna post one from their first album and saw this. Terry Kath was pretty highly reguarded among musicians at the time. Then the silly bugger stuck a gun in his mouth...
[YOUTUBE]lghDG9vYfRQ[/YOUTUBE]

And also... An actual guitar "Solo" from Chicago's first album as well...
[YOUTUBE]P_tJ3CtFlU4&[/YOUTUBE]

Wow!! I was just gunna post one from their first album and saw this. Terry Kath was pretty highly reguarded among musicians at the time. Then the silly bugger stuck a gun in his mouth...
I'm not a guitar expert at all, but he was apparently highly regarded, as you said, and quite innovative. There's a story about Hendrix being complimentary about him in the very early days of the band, not sure how true that is.

As for his death, apparently he put a gun to his head and said something like "don't worry, it's not loaded" and pulled the trigger. The magazine was empty but there was still a bullet in the chamber.

I have Danny Seraphine's book (the drummer until 1990) and writes about the whole experience, he was advised about what happened and turned up at the scene with Terry's body still laying there. It's pretty heavy stuff.

As much as I've enjoyed their music through their different phases and lineups (yes, I even enjoyed the big ballad phase!), Chicago was never the same band after Terry Kath died.

I'm not a guitar expert at all, but he was apparently highly regarded, as you said, and quite innovative. There's a story about Hendrix being complimentary about him in the very early days of the band, not sure how true that is.

As for his death, apparently he put a gun to his head and said something like "don't worry, it's not loaded" and pulled the trigger. The magazine was empty but there was still a bullet in the chamber.

I have Danny Seraphine's book (the drummer until 1990) and writes about the whole experience, he was advised about what happened and turned up at the scene with Terry's body still laying there. It's pretty heavy stuff.

As much as I've enjoyed their music through their different phases and lineups (yes, I even enjoyed the big ballad phase!), Chicago was never the same band after Terry Kath died.

Yeah, it's on record in several places that Hendrix was a big fan of the band live. as for the book by Danny Seraphine, I'll track that one down. cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Solos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back