Best Swing Men in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

vinnie_vegas69 said:
You're kidding...

This thread got to 8 replies without Matthew Pavlich getting a mention?

You know, the most effectively versatile player in the AFL?

2002: All Australian Full Back
2003: All Australian in the midfield
2005: All Australian Centre Half Forward

Nobody else can boast that kind of versatility on a consistent basis.

As for another option, Nathan Buckley is starting to prove that he can do it no matter where he's played.

Pavlich deserves a mention, definitely. But 2002, He didn't even play FB. That was the most puzzling AA decision I've ever seen.

The ultimate swinger.........Jesaulenko........you beauty!!!!!!!! Was 3rd in the Brownlow from 3 different positions and at 5' 11" kicked 115 goals in a season and kicked 7 goals in a GF. The first 2 times, as well as the 100 goals occurred during his first 4 seasons. Later on played played back, again coming 3rd in the Brownlow, and taking Leigh Matthews apart one day playing in the back pocket. Then Captain-Coached a premiership team playing in the centre. They won't swing better than this guy. But I suppose at 60 he can't play for us again!!! Pity, the way our team's he's still get a game!

Des Headland anyone? Took a decent swing on the weekend ;)

For the Pies we have a bunch of versatile players but the one who can change position and win us a game is Tony Rocca. Massive power forward, can split the ruck wide open for 10 mins bursts. Matchwinner in either role. I've seen him occasionally in defense (eg vs the Dogs for a bit), but I don't think he's ever picked up Browlow votes there.

dogupya said:
Just out of curiosity, What do see in Delidio that makes you believe he will make a good backman?

He will be a devestating midfielder and goal kicker......

well, by all accounts, he's still growing (around 6'2-6'3 now I think), and with the amount of midfielders we've been drafting over the past couple of years, I can see him playing a Goodes-style 'run anywhere, do what you like' role within the next 5 years.

he's tall enough to play KPP, he's quick/smart enough to play midfield and if we've drafted correctly, we'll be able to do whatever we want with him by the time he's 25

PerthCrow said:
Whats a swingman?

Did someone add the S by mistake?

Marty Mattner is the best wingman this year

A swingman is someone who swings both ways, if you know what I mean *wink* *wink*. I nominate Hank Bulger.

In all seriousness though, Croad for us.

But my favorite would be Chris Grant, absolute champion and was robbed of a Brownlow.

mocaholic said:
Saddo circa early 2004 was good for us. Serious! How BF Mathews got the job ahead of him I'll never know. I'd have to pay Craig Bolton too.
Says alot about Sydney's team performances - their swing men are the likes of Mathews and Saddo, whereas other teams have the Hirds, Grants as their swing men ;)

johnnyhoward said:
Says alot about Sydney's team performances - their swing men are the likes of Mathews and Saddo, whereas other teams have the Hirds, Grants as their swing men ;)
Sydneys team performances?
If anything it represents an even spread of talent?
Your boys of course are the pinnacle of team performances...and it reflects in a laughable/non existant trophy cabinet

adem yze has played everywhere in his career - from half back to wingman to midfielder to key forward.

cam bruce started as a half forward, became a tagger, now a midfielder.

david neitz has gone centre half back, centre half forward, and finished at full forward.

but james hird is the best swingman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

johnnyhoward said:
So.....happy to conveniently forget Goodes? The Saddo and Mathews comments were more py55takes (I HATE Mathews), but Craig Bolton could be a good forward if given more op.

How many Hirds and Grants are there anyway? Just one at last count. No need to pluralise, you are not David Parkin.

*munches on the bait and swims away*

Hird is the best I have seen from this generation.

EJ Whitten would have been the best of his era.

Others to standout over the last 20 years or so, Neitz,Grant,Silvagni,Leppitsch,Archer,Pavlich,Goodes,T.Barker,A.Lynch,Pert.

G.O.B said:
Jason Cloke anyone.
Built his reputation as a quality defender. Was then swung forward in a GF to devestating effect and was used on a wing earlier this year to rapturous applause from the magpie faithful.

HAHAHAH no comment needs to be made.. self explanitory

In no particular order:

Carey
Hird
Goodes
Grant
Chad Cornes
Pavlich
Riccuito - clearly becoming a goal kicker and still a star on the ball
Buckley - as above

Go Tige's

Remove this Banner Ad