Best team for 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

First post ever, so i apologise if i make any mistakes.

Just looking at it from what we need etc. and a lot of other posts didn't have him but you would think Reilly would be automatic selection for his tagging role, who else do you give that role to??

Personally i would like to see this line up:

Joncock Rutten Otten^
VB Davis Doughty
Mackay Vince Reilly
Knights* Walker Henderson
Porplyzia Tippet Douglas#

Maric Thompson Sloane

Int: (from) Sellar, Mckernan, Dangerfield, Symes, Martin, Petrenko/Armstrong and Jaensch

^Otten - If back to full force can play Stevens role without losing his head and gifting the opposition goals with his kicks
*Knights - If he is still around
#Douglas - Moving through the midfield rotations

Also if Armstrong learns to tackle, Cook learns to kick and Gunston to muscle up all could push into the side

No rrom for Otten or you having a lend with Young?
Forgive me for not having Otten in our Round 1 side, and that’s what my side is. Coming back from a knee reconstruction, will probably need a few SANFL games in the early part to get used to the speed of the game again. And why would I be having a lend with Young, he was emergency last week, good chance of playing this week, is it so hard to comprehend that he would make our side? :confused: I guess out of sight out of mind for a few of you blokes.

B Stiffy Rutten Stevens
HB D-Mac Davis VB
C Radar Thompson Otten
HF Knights Tippett Henderson
F Porpy Walker Douglas
1R Maric Danger Vince
INT Griffin Doughty Sloane Symes

In the mix - Gunstan Jaensch Talia Young and Sellar

Plenty of work to do - Armstrong, Cook, Petrenko and Shaw

Positional Changes
D-Mac, should be the new Goody across HB
Otten, move to the wing
Walker and Tippett trade places

B: Johncock, Rutten, Stevens
HB: Doughty, Davis, Van Berlo
C: Mackay, Vince, Martin
CHF: Knights, Walker, Henderson
FF: Porplyzia, Tippett, Dangerfield
R: Maric, Thompson, Douglas
Int: Sellar, Sloane, Reilly, Otten

Agree :thumbsu:

Prior to the Knights, trading, drafting scenarios resolution, my tentative side would be:

B: Sellar, Rutten, Johncock
HB: Mackay, Davis, Petrenko
C: Otten, Vince, Henderson
HF: Knights, Walker, Porplyzia
F: Sloane, Tippett, Dangerfield
1R: Moran, Reilly, Thompson
I: McKernan, Douglas, van Berlo, Jaensch

Of course Doughty, Stevens and Maric will get a game no matter what so my team is way off. Hopefully we can trade for a true small forward to add to the mix.

Trade:
1.Jon Griffin, 3rd rounder for Jay van Berlo
2.Shaun Mckernan to North Melb for 2nd rounder
3.Chris Knights to Essendon for 1st rounder(probs 10)

GC: Nathan Bock

Draft:
1st round pick(10 from Ess): Josh Caddy
1st round pick(12): Luke Parker or Kieran Harper
2nd round pick: Outside Mid
2nd round pick(North): Best Available

Delist:
Trent Hentschel
Jarrhan Jacky

Retired:
Tyson Edwards
Simon Goodwin
Andrew Mcleod
Brett Burton

Uncertain:
Doughty(probably play 1 more year)

The Team:
FB: #27.Stevens #25.Rutten #18.Johncock
HB: #22.Otten #16.Davis #15.Symes
C: #14.Mackay #32.Dangerfield #7.van Berlo
HF: #36.Henderson #4.Tippett #26.Douglas
FF: #40.Porplyzia #13.Walker #9.Sloane
FOLL: #20.Maric #5.Thompson #17.Vince
INT: #29.Sellar #3.Reilly #10.Parker #23.Caddy
EMERG: #12.Talia #24.Jaensch #41.Martin

reserves:
#38.Armstrong
#8.Cook
#30.Craig
#28.Gunston
#33.Petrenko
#46.Schmidt
#34.Shaw

new numbers:
9.Edwards>>Sloane
10.Jacky>>Parker
23.Mcleod>>Caddy
24.Burton>>Jaensch
36.Goodwin>>Henderson

From the teams being posted we are assuming that Knighta is staying and that the AFC isn't going to chase a ready made mid from another club.

With Bocky gone and just about every senior player we must have a pretty big war chest for trade week and have to think we'd have a big crack at getting someone or someones from another club(s).

Hope to see some unfamilar names on the list yet. Revisit this after trade week.

At this stage you couldn't assume much else really.

2011 is not looking pretty as of now. Surely with no Bock we are going to struggle badly. I still can't get over that he is leaving. But we will hopefully improve over forthcoming years. Lets see where we are in 4 or 5 years time.

Yeah, but when was the last time Bock strung more than 2 good games together though? In fact when did he last string more than 3-4 games together full stop? He really hasn't done a whole heap since 08, certainly wasn't part of our push into the finals last year.

Okay, here's my thoughts at this stage:

Retire/Delist/move to a place far warmer than here:
Edwards
Goodwin
Burton
McLeod
Hentschel
Bock
Jacky
Donolley(rookie)

This would leave us with 6 spots to fill on our senior list(Only Doughty is eligible for veteran list, so we gain an extra spot on our rookie list).

Rookie upgrades(gives us three picks in the ND):
Henderson
Jaensch
Schmidt (Still 50-50 here though, not sure he really has a long term place in the side, but then I don't make a habit of writing blokes off early)

Rookies to retain:
Wright
Riley
Thompson

Giving us a starting 22 of:

B: Johncock - Rutten - Young
HB: Petrenko - Davis - Doughty
C: Mackay - Dangerfield - Reilly
HF: Knights - Walker - Henderson
F: Jaensch - Tippett - Porplyzia
1R: Maric - Thompson - Vince
I: Sellar, Sloane, van Berlo, Douglas

E(from): Otten, Gunston, Symes, Stevens, Martin, McKernan, Cook, Moran, Griffin

Pending good return from injury:
Moran - Depends how he returns from injury, only genuine #1 ruck with any sort of mobility and ability to find the ball around the ground. Has the greatest potential, but also the greatest likelihood of failure.
Otten - If he immediately finds form, then he's straight in, probably at the expense of Young, may need half a year to get going though.

Gee, with the loss of Edwards, Macca and Goody, we're not exactly strong in midfield depth. There's enough for a 22, plus a couple, certainly far greater depth in the talls department. We definitely need to pick up another A-grade mid or two though. Either that or Porplyzia, Douglas and Dangerfield need to find the consistency to enter the a-grade to elite bracket quick smart.

Put a bit of thought into the CHB position, long term I believe either Talia or Sellar are the answer. However I think Talia's probably still a year or two away and I like Sellar as a 2nd ruck at the moment. Unless of course McKernan can step up in this regard, allowing Sellar to move back. I was considering using Young at CHB, but with Rutten at FB, I just think that leaves us a little short in defence, with both on the shorter side around 192cm each. Long term I think Davis will be a lead up CHF, with Tippett and Walker creating a dangerous tandem deep forward, however short term, I don't mind him doing an apprenticeship in defence, Pavlich/Hentschel style.

Had to include Petrenko in defence, one because he'll be a gun small defender, but also because otherwise, I think we were lacking in run/rebounding players in the defensive 6.

B: Johncock-Rutten-Stevens
HB: Otten-Davis-Armstrong
C: Mackay-Vince-Sloane
HF: Knights-Walker-Henderson
F: Dangerfield-Tippett-Porplyzia
R: Maric-S.Thompson-Douglas
Int: Sellar-Reilly-Symes-Van Berlo
Emg: McKernan-Petrenko-Jaensch

- Phase in Young/Talia/McKernan as the third tall back instead of Stevens
- Danger to spend more time in the midfield than forward
- Otten replaces Doughty in defence. Armstrong/Petrenko also come in, otherwise our defence is too slow
- Sellar clear second ruckman ahead of Griffin and Moran
- Walker, Tippett and Hendo all starting 18 forwards

If Doughty plays on next year it will be a disaster. He'll struggle massively with the pace of the game, won't be able to keep his body right and will pull the plug part way through. Surely we've learned our lesson after this season not to try to hang on to the oldies too long.

We've supposedly been developing all these brilliant leaders with our Leading Teams program so it shouldn't matter that we have a younger list next season.

This year should be like taking off a bandaid. One motion... right off!

Gone: Goodwin, McLeod, Edwards, Burton, Hentschel and Doughty. And Bock of course. Sever the ties with the past and take away the safety net the veterans provide.

Asking Doughty to stay on is just a typical negative reaction from our club, panicking that the younger players won't be up to the task and thinking that old heads are the solution to all our problems.

Considering most the time positions on paper mean nothing anymore and there are just midfielders instead of centreman, ruck rovers etc, but anyway..

B: Otten Rutten Johncock
HB: VanBerlo Davis Doughty
C: Reilly Thompson Mackay
HF: Knights Walker Henderson
F: Porplyzia Tippett Dangerfield

R: Maric Vince Douglas

I: Jaensch Petrenko Sellar Sloane

There's a few positions/players that will depend on injuries obviously, and balance/structure for who we play at times like Stevens (i pray we don't need to), the form of some in and out of the 22 like Doughty (shakey to be in the 22), Sellar/Moran, Symes, Armstrong, Martin, Cook.. The development of some like McKernan, Gunston, Talia, Shaw etc..

Johncock, Rutten, Stevens
Doughty, Davis, Mackay
Douglas, Vince, Reilly
Knights, Henderson, Porplyzia
Lamb :p, Tippett, Walker
Maric, Dangerfield, Thompson
McKernan, Otten, Sloane, van Berlo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Johncock Rutten Doughty
Otten Davis Mackay
Douglas Thompson VanBerlo
J.Caddy (;)) Walker Knights
Henderson Tippet Porplyzia

Ruck: Maric Vince Dangerfield
Int: McKernan Reilly Sloane Symes/Martin

question for those who have left out otten... do you think that he will not be right for a decent portion of 2011 or that he will struggle to come back from the knee?

FB Johncock__Rutten____Doughty
HB Otten*____Davis _____B.Smith ;) (I wish)
C Mackay___Thompson __Martin
HF Knights___Walker_____Henderson
FF Danger____Tippett____Porps
1R Maric_____Vince______Douglas
Int Sellar Sloane Reilly VB

The rest: Moran Symes Stevens Jaensch McKernen Petrenko Armstrong Cook Gunston Young Talia Shaw Craig Schmidt

* Otten to take Goodwins role capable of playing on medium forwards but providing run from half back. Cover 3rd tall if required.

A handy small forward would be nice through trade/draft.

Would love for Brodie Smith to be available at pick 14. He's exactly what we need and will eventually be an elite midfielder.

I actually think if/when our best 22 is available VB and Symes will/should struggle to make the team. Reilly is secured by his tagging role for now.

FB: Stiffy Truck Stevens
HB: Otten Davis VB
C: Mackay Tommo Martin
HF: Knights Tippett Hendo
FF: Danger Walker Porps
1R: Maric Vince Douglas
Int: Sellar Sloane Reilly Symes Dogga Schmidt Jaensch

I think it's fair to say his pre-season will have a massive bearing on how early he gets back into the team. Muscle strains etc are sure to occur when he ramps up the intensity, no doubt he'll be a starter come round 6/7. I'll include him in mine for that reason.

BK: Johncock, Rutten, Stevens

HB: Otten, Davis, Symes

C: Mackay, Vince, Reilly

HF: Douglas, Walker, Porps

FF: Dangerfield, Tippett, Hendo

Fol: Maric, Van Berlo, Thompson

Int: Moran, Petrenko, Sloane, Martin

Reilly as number 1 tagger.

Moran, despite his recurring injuries is far more promising than Sellar who in my opinion screams of SANFL.

Obviously lacks experience with no Doughty who I still think has value as a squad player.

I think Jaensch should be brought in for winnable games against smaller bodied teams, he has that touch more freedom where he can really kill teams with his quality foot skills.

I like Petrenko, I like his attack on the ball and moreso his aggressiveness towards the man that we saw last season. Obviously has a long way to go but I think we are better off investing time into him than Myke Cook or even Tony Armstrong.

I have obviously gone in with the same list we had this year. I'd love for us to move Heaven and Earth for Hurn, give him a Hodge type role allowing his a touch more freedom up field than WC give him. He could be a match winner.

Captaincy to either Thommo or VB, either way I'm not fussed. I the C next to Thommos name will make him a abetter player while I think VB will just keep doing what he's doing, and that's not a bad thing.

I like Petrenko, I like his attack on the ball and moreso his aggressiveness towards the man that we saw last season. Obviously has a long way to go but I think we are better off investing time into him than Myke Cook or even Tony Armstrong.
Agree with this. I'd much prefer Petrenko given on opportunity down back than Armstrong.

HF: Knights Walker Hendo
FF: Jaensch Tippet Porps
Int: Danger Sellar Sloane Reilly/Dogga
Emerg: Reilly/Dogga McKernan Symes

HF: Knights Walker Hendo
FF: Jaensch Tippet Porps
Int: Danger Sellar Sloane Reilly/Dogga
Emerg: Reilly/Dogga McKernan Symes

Would like VB moulding himself into a permanent or Semi permanent Half back actually.

That's why he's there. Seems to play better with an opponent to nullify/beat.

I also was tempted to throw Danger there as i really want to see him have some stints off half-back next year. Just not his spot in our 'best' side. (at this point - actually hoping he has a ripper pre-season and cements a midfield role)

That's why he's there. Seems to play better with an opponent to nullify/beat.

I also was tempted to throw Danger there as i really want to see him have some stints off half-back next year. Just not his spot in our 'best' side. (at this point - actually hoping he has a ripper pre-season and cements a midfield role)

It's tough with Danger, you want one of him in every zone.

I like him bursting from the centre towards goal. His delivery is quality and generally makes a good decision. Martin might fill the role you had in mind though.

Highly unlikely that Jaensch will settle into the pocket Allefgib. His attributes don't suit it at all. Don't be surprised if Cook makes it his position in 2011. For all his uncomfortable looking disposals up the ground, he is a goal kicker, and is as elusive as they come. Excellent overhead too.

Highly unlikely that Jaensch will settle into the pocket Allefgib. His attributes don't suit it at all. Don't be surprised if Cook makes it his position in 2011 people.

Love to see him get an opportunity down there actually. The obvious query is whether he would be yet another player who stinks at goalkicking! Apart from that he has the skill set imo, though i'd like to see him stick more tackles as his strength improves.

Jaensch certainly has the capacity to play higher up the ground and eventually i'd only see him in the FP as a relative 'rest' or to change things up a bit. For mine, Jaensch is one of a few, along with Mackay, Martin and Petrenko that I'd be looking at trialling as running half-backs in the pre-season (currently I'm thinking Mackay and Petrenko with Martin, Jaensch in mid/forward rotations)

I'm not sure i see Cook being damaging enough as a mid to make it up there, and i'd hate to see him trying to kick out of defence. FP could be his bag, and the opening is there:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Best team for 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Back