Best Team for Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with you on Dempster > Dawson :thumbsu:

Disagree with Armitage. He will be a passenger.

It's really infortunate we dropped him to the VFL and he got injured but we can't turn back the clock now and he will need time to recover and a full preseason behind him to get back to his best.

Geary is the same age and fit and ready to play finals. We really need a big effort from him, we know how fast he can be he just needs to go hard at the footy. You can't question Armo's hardness at the footy but we need 100% fit players to make the zone work.

In modern times you can't carry injured guys. It's top speed all game now with unlimited rotation.

I'm not sure that Armitage is still injured, but even if he has a blinder at Adelaide, I think I'd stick with Geary who's been pretty consistant and even seems to be improving during the year. ( Armitage hasn't really had two good games in a row ).
I wouldn't be too incriminating about him being injured. The same logic says we should have dropped Riewoldt to VFL the weekend we played Collingwood, so that he wouldn't be injured.
The selecters need to select players based on who they want playing AFL that week, not worrying about whether they are more likely to be injured playing VFL or not. ( Is there any evidence to suggest they are ?)

My only concern would be:

Cloke, Dawes, Brown too big for Blake, Fisher, Gilbert/Gwilt
Pods, Mooney, Hawkins too big for Blake, Fisher, Gilbert/Gwilt.

If one of those big forwards gets on top of his opponent and gets on a roll, our options are limited without Zac.

Pods won't be playing the first final so that may count against us playing Dawson, may be better to go with an extra smaller defender like Dempster.

If Geelong and Collingwood play the three talls then Dawson should probably get the nod to help free up Fisher and Gilbert.

If one of those big forwards gets on top of his opponent and gets on a roll, our options are limited without Zac.

Blake has done great jobs on Cloke in the past.

I tend to agree, and though only one of them is ( a little bit ) taller than Gilbert, I hate to see him limited to a lockdown role.
Surely Zac could do a decent job on one of the Collingwood three.

I'm not sure if we should play him first round against the Cats though ( without JPod ).

There is a flaw in our backline, and I look forward to the future when we can have the flexibility of having Gaertner in the ruck or in the back as required, or Stanley in the ruck or in the forward line as required. ( I'm really optomistic about both these guys ).

Not related to the finals discussion, but does anyone think Pattison could have potential in the backline? I guess he's probably not quick enough.

B: Baker Blake Gram
HB: Gwilt Fisher Gilbert
C: Goddard Dal Ray
HF: McQualter Reiwoldt Montagna
F: Milne Kozi Schneider
Foll: Gardiner Hayes Jones
I/C: McEvoy Armitage Geary

EMG: Eddy Steven Miles

I think dawson will be in but i don't want him purely because of match fitness,
and peake is a poor mans Jason Gram. (both only care about 'metres gained' , but at least Gram can kick a drop punt)

B: Baker Blake Gram
HB: Gwilt Fisher Gilbert
C: Goddard Dal Ray
HF: McQualter Reiwoldt Montagna
F: Milne Kozi Schneider
Foll: Gardiner Hayes Jones
I/C: McEvoy Armitage Geary

EMG: Eddy Steven Miles

I think dawson will be in but i don't want him purely because of match fitness,
and peake is a poor mans Jason Gram. (both only care about 'metres gained' , but at least Gram can kick a drop punt)
You need Gram on ball not BP need his attack,what 3 on the bench shows how smart you are or is it just arrogance.:footy:

Pods won't be playing the first final so that may count against us playing Dawson, may be better to go with an extra smaller defender like Dempster.

If Geelong and Collingwood play the three talls then Dawson should probably get the nod to help free up Fisher and Gilbert.

If he doesn't play this week...and misses the Geelong game due to match-up's...how many weeks has he missed? 6 or 7? Pretty hard to come straight back in for either a Prelim or Elimination Final.

No way, Peakey has been working into some really good form, and he kicks goals.

Not that it matters or that the team will actually look like this, but FWIW here is how I'd like us to line up in finals, presumably against Geelong:

B. Steven Baker - Zac Dawson - James Gwilt
HB. Sam Gilbert - Sam Fisher - Jason Blake
C. Brendon Goddard - Lenny Hayes - Jason Gram
HF. Leigh Montagna - Nick Riewoldt - Andrew McQualter
F. Stephen Milne - Justin Koschitzke - Adam Schneider
R. Michael Gardiner - Nick Dal Santo - Clinton Jones
I. Farren Ray - Jarryn Geary - Ben McEvoy - Brett Peake

E. Sean Dempster - Adam Pattison - David Armitage

Its such a hard thing to choose, considering we love all our Saints and I certainly don't envy the match commitee.

Zac Dawson gets the nod from me to take and hold a bigger forward, releasing Sam Fisher and Sam Gilbert to attack and rebound. Probably takes a stiff Sean Dempster's spot but I would have him first picked in nearly any late withdrawls. Should get a game in Ross Lyon's side realistically. Andrew McQualter will stay in the side and continue his forward pressure efforts, don't be suprised if he bobs up with a goal he is due. Brett Peake has exceeded my expectations this year and his speed is vital, loves a shot on goal too.

Would love to see the emergencies listed and players like finals experienced Robert Eddy who was in stellar form before the hand and Jack Steven who has already demolished the Cats this year get a crack at finals. Rhys Stanley is probably still a little raw and Luke Miles, although impressive on debut last week, surely isn't in finals calculations. Although nothing would suprise me. Wouldn't mind seeing a fit Raphael Clarke in the side by the way. Bit of a shame.

Not that it matters or that the team will actually look like this, but FWIW here is how I'd like us to line up in finals, presumably against Geelong:

B. Steven Baker - Zac Dawson - James Gwilt
HB. Sam Gilbert - Sam Fisher - Jason Blake
C. Brendon Goddard - Lenny Hayes - Jason Gram
HF. Leigh Montagna - Nick Riewoldt - Andrew McQualter
F. Stephen Milne - Justin Koschitzke - Adam Schneider
R. Michael Gardiner - Nick Dal Santo - Clinton Jones
I. Farren Ray - Jarryn Geary - Ben McEvoy - Brett Peake

E. Sean Dempster - Adam Pattison - David Armitage

Its such a hard thing to choose, considering we love all our Saints and I certainly don't envy the match commitee.

Zac Dawson gets the nod from me to take and hold a bigger forward, releasing Sam Fisher and Sam Gilbert to attack and rebound. Probably takes a stiff Sean Dempster's spot but I would have him first picked in nearly any late withdrawls. Should get a game in Ross Lyon's side realistically. Andrew McQualter will stay in the side and continue his forward pressure efforts, don't be suprised if he bobs up with a goal he is due. Brett Peake has exceeded my expectations this year and his speed is vital, loves a shot on goal too.

Would love to see the emergencies listed and players like finals experienced Robert Eddy who was in stellar form before the hand and Jack Steven who has already demolished the Cats this year get a crack at finals. Rhys Stanley is probably still a little raw and Luke Miles, although impressive on debut last week, surely isn't in finals calculations. Although nothing would suprise me. Wouldn't mind seeing a fit Raphael Clarke in the side by the way. Bit of a shame.

Totally agree with this.
Dempster first in, if any of our backmen are injured. ( though a midfielder in and BJ into the backline is also an option ).
Pattison first in, if McEvoy or Gardiner are out. ( Mind you King got 18 possessions and a lot of hitouts and a few tackles and I think kicked a goal in the last VFL game - so I'd say maybe King in reserve for Gardi, Patto for Macca ).
Stanley in, only if Kosi or Riewoldt can't play.
Armitage, ( or maybe Eddy ) for the Midfield.

If we need anyone else we will have had some horrendous luck, but we still have the likes of Steven and Heyne.

If he doesn't play this week...and misses the Geelong game due to match-up's...how many weeks has he missed? 6 or 7? Pretty hard to come straight back in for either a Prelim or Elimination Final.

I'd say Dawson would definitely get a game this week, as like Gardiner he needs to get a game under his belt before finals. Whether or not he gets a game for the first final who knows, I guess it depends on match ups and team balance.

No way, Peakey has been working into some really good form, and he kicks goals.

Yeah I think Peake has definitely done enough to earn a spot in our best 22 for finals, his pace and goal kicking ability will be handy. Still have my doubts about how he will stand up under the heat of finals, given that he didn't get many opportunities to play finals at Freo, however he deserves the opportunity first up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope you all don't mind my input here. For your game against us I would not play Kozi. I say this basing it on your game against us this year. Were able to really expose our older, bigger and slower back line with just one KPF (which was Kozi with no Nick). I say replace Kozi in that match with Nick and you become miles more potent again. I just think playing Justin makes it easier for our defense as we can just sit Scarlo on him and focus more on Riewoldt. Scarlo would also have more trouble running off a smaller/quicker opponent.

Hope you all don't mind my input here. For your game against us I would not play Kozi. I say this basing it on your game against us this year. Were able to really expose our older, bigger and slower back line with just one KPF (which was Kozi with no Nick). I say replace Kozi in that match with Nick and you become miles more potent again. I just think playing Justin makes it easier for our defense as we can just sit Scarlo on him and focus more on Riewoldt. Scarlo would also have more trouble running off a smaller/quicker opponent.

instead of Nick we had stanley. Stanley won't be in the finals so inow we will have nick and kosi, rather kosi and stanley.

the former (nick and kosi is much better than the latter

Saints will be going into the game with the intention of refining their game for finals , rather than to win. Therefore they will not be trialling any unusual structures.
Hopefully winning will be a pleasant side affect.

Kosi was woeful in the game against Geelong, but he looks like he's in better form now and if he at least keeps Scarlett occupied instead of running off and setting up then he's done his job. Hopefully he can kick a goal or two but I'm not holding my breath.

Yeh you can be like the Hawks.

They thought Kosi was so shit he shouldn't even be manned up.

The first 2 goals made them think again and his 3rd in the first term made them really crack down on him.

They must have went fairly hard at him because he gave away 5 frees :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Team for Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back