better refine you definition of a good crowd

Remove this Banner Ad

GH_

Draftee
Jul 4, 2002
Other Teams
Sydney
i wonder now that only 2 games per round are actually drawing 5 figures, how long will it be before people start saying 10,000 is a good crowd... not long i'd assume.

no wonder public is staying away from this sport, the animals at taronga zoo put on a better show. i dont think i've ever heard a league player talk properly in front of a camera. they are complete, utter animals that would be better off caged, and that also goes for those vile, racist, vandals that follow it.

In the same way that the most strident homophobics are supposed to have suppressed homosexual feelings, I think deep down young GH secretly loves league. Why else would he be so
worried as to post here and mask his true feelings about the game.

Go on GH, you can come out of the closet, we won't tell anyone. :D

Hi Guys

I am actually very sick of these morons pasting rubbish on here about rugby league...I notice that the afl board won't accept anyone rubbishing there game coming from league supporters, so I think we should contact Bluey and get him to scrub these posts.

I am sick of answering people who post the same continuous rubbish on here about rugby league.......they absolutely have no idea of the fact or usually knowledge on the game.....always comparing crowds......they can never ever think of anything positive to say about other footy codes......

Frankly I am quite sick of them.....:rolleyes:

Re: Hi Guys

Originally posted by Ms.Storm
I am actually very sick of these morons pasting rubbish on here about rugby league...I notice that the afl board won't accept anyone rubbishing there game coming from league supporters, so I think we should contact Bluey and get him to scrub these posts.

I am sick of answering people who post the same continuous rubbish on here about rugby league.......they absolutely have no idea of the fact or usually knowledge on the game.....always comparing crowds......they can never ever think of anything positive to say about other footy codes......

Frankly I am quite sick of them.....:rolleyes:

Simple Ms Storm - dont reply. Apart from the obvious troll, he makes a very good point about the pathetic crowds RL gets. 22k in Newcastle and Rabbits Warren goes crazy.
I mean to say Geez:rolleyes: :rolleyes: . The crowd for the storm game was really quite worrying. And no excuses from you Ms.Storm, the crowds in Melbourne are getting smaller and smaller.

Joff, while we are at it, lets not forget that the Swans averaged 35,000 in 1997 at the SCG. At the last head count, the Swans attracted 16,000 to their last game 2 weeks ago. It would be wrong of you to start blasting RL crowds when the Swans crowds have all but halved in the last 5 years

Moffo.

whilst i do normally not reply to threads of such trolls, moff, ou make yourself look stupid with your crowd analysis. to compare a season average to that of the last attendance is really showing a lack of knowledge.

let me use this comparison. if steve waugh averaged 50.96 in his last ashes tour, then got 5 in his next test, would you say that he is 1/10th of the player he once was?? a more accurate comparison would be to compare a 1997 average to an (incomplete) 2002 average

swans 1997 average: 32262
swans 2002 average: 29261

Sydney crowds are about the same - around 30K per game.

Obviously 97 was a little bigger because if you remember, they made the GF in 96 while this year so far they have had a horror run, then the plugger/schwass/eade debacle has probably driven them to their lowest point in a long time.

RL would need half a dozen games to get to 30K! :p

But forget crowds - it is old news now RL struggles for support - but there is a bigger problem than AFL the RL is facing.

Just how many more stars of league are going to switch codes to rugby?

It is a hugely serious problem - and I guy I work with (union fan from Sydney) who recently went home for a few weeks has been telling us how League is in serious trouble.

I have no idea, and I dont really care that much - but he commented that the general feeling is that League is dying and Union interest is rising. He said League people he knew are even acknowledging it.

And the more players they pinch from League the worse and worse its gonna get.

Originally posted by nicko18
whilst i do normally not reply to threads of such trolls, moff, ou make yourself look stupid with your crowd analysis. to compare a season average to that of the last attendance is really showing a lack of knowledge.

let me use this comparison. if steve waugh averaged 50.96 in his last ashes tour, then got 5 in his next test, would you say that he is 1/10th of the player he once was?? a more accurate comparison would be to compare a 1997 average to an (incomplete) 2002 average

swans 1997 average: 32262
swans 2002 average: 29261

Nicko,
Are you using figures for games the Swans play away from home as well....if you are, naturally the crowds will be bigger, because away from Sydney (not an afl town) they play against teams who are based in afl towns and of course crowds in these states are usually very good!:confused:

I usually watch the Swans games when the play in Sydney, and if they average 30,000 per week there, I'll eat my hat!

Nicko,
Are you using figures for games the Swans play away from home as well....if you are, naturally the crowds will be bigger, because away from Sydney (not an afl town) they play against teams who are based in afl towns and of course crowds in these states are usually very good!:confused:

I usually watch the Swans games when the play in Sydney, and if they average 30,000 per week there, I'll eat my hat!

ms storm, both these figures are for the home and away season, and besides, wouldnt there be expected to be a drop off for the away games since you always claim melbourne crowds are down 10%?? no i havent worked out home crowd averages for both, you can if you want, the herald sun has all the respective game crowds. i'd guess around 26,000 average for home games, in any event, whatever the crowd average is, its way beyond any NRL team, not bad for a sport that has "little popularity" in sydney, same goes for the lions.

and dont try to pull off any false excuses either, like the one about 60% of queenslands domestic immigration coming from victoria :rolleyes:

Your making a goose of yourself Nicko. Isolate the Swans crowds, not including their away games. The number was in a big way distorted by their 55k at stadium oz. I can recall practically all their games this year, apart from the stadium oz match drawing around the 20,000 mark. The last game was 16,000 even less.

"ms storm, both these figures are for the home and away season, and besides, wouldnt there be expected to be a drop off for the away games since you always claim melbourne crowds are down 10%?? "

Really mate, that is such a dumb comment on so many levels. So u can apply that to swans games in melbourne can u?? Yeh, right-o

:eek:

Moffo.

Are NRL crowd figures the only thing people care about?. You'd think from these postings that Rugby League consisted of people filing into and stadium and everyone playing "count the crowd".

As I've said many times before ignore these idiots. They can only wind other people up because they're unfulfilled in other parts of their life.
to the rest,if you don't like League, why post?:mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Queenslander
I think when we talk about a good crowd then we should talk about Quality not quantity. NRL fans are by far the best behaved. Look at collingMcquire fans.............hethens.

Exactly!

How dare AFL fans show passion!

How dare there be atmosphere at a sporting event!

Shame one them!

Originally posted by GH_
i wonder now that only 2 games per round are actually drawing 5 figures, how long will it be before people start saying 10,000 is a good crowd... not long i'd assume.

no wonder public is staying away from this sport, the animals at taronga zoo put on a better show. i dont think i've ever heard a league player talk properly in front of a camera. they are complete, utter animals that would be better off caged, and that also goes for those vile, racist, vandals that follow it.

So mate tell me how many supporters turn up for Union CLUB games in Australia?I'm talking about Super12 state sides but club rugby which is what you're talking about in regards to league.

Re: Re: better refine you definition of a good crowd

Originally posted by DIPPER

So mate tell me how many supporters turn up for Union CLUB games in Australia?I'm talking about Super12 state sides but club rugby which is what you're talking about in regards to league.

i think the S12's competes at a level similar to the NRL. it is a home and away series and club rugby is not professional. dont worry though, with the NRL deciding to practically give tickets away, we should see some increases in crowds now

Nicho Nicho Nicho

You are getting worse every day:rolleyes: :p

Something you have forgotten, the afl gave thousands of tickets away early days for the Swans and just recently to the Essendon vs. Swans game at Aussie Stadium:rolleyes:

I would love Storm to give away a few hundred tickets to entice new followers to rugby league......but they refuse to......:D

Re: Re: Re: better refine you definition of a good crowd

Originally posted by nicko18

i think the S12's competes at a level similar to the NRL. it is a home and away series and club rugby is not professional. dont worry though, with the NRL deciding to practically give tickets away, we should see some increases in crowds now

Rugby Union players are paid to play club matches. It may not be much but it is a payment nonetheless.

Super 12 is a 12 week competition with each team getting 5 (the waratahs did this year) home matches. there are only 3 Australian sides in the super 12 and it is likely to remain that way.

Rugby League is a 26 week competition with each team getting, or should be getting 11 home matches. There are 15 teams in the competition.

So if super 12 and RL are comparable then why does RL have 500% more Australian teams than super 12, and over 100% more rounds and home matches?

If the Broncos were to play in Brisbane only 5 times a year I am sure they would get more fans. If the Sydney RL sides were merged into 1 and played only 5 times a year in Sydney, surely this would affect crowd figures.

It seems it is a little more difficult to draw comparisons between the 2 codes than you make out nicko18.

Re: Nicho Nicho Nicho

You are getting worse every day:rolleyes: :p

Something you have forgotten, the afl gave thousands of tickets away early days for the Swans and just recently to the Essendon vs. Swans game at Aussie Stadium:rolleyes:

I would love Storm to give away a few hundred tickets to entice new followers to rugby league......but they refuse to......:D

you make yourself look like such an idiot sometimes. your claims sometimes appear genuine until you pull baseless lies out of the air. youve done that a few times now. would you mind telling us how you know the swans gave away tickets to the essendon game, and why i, nor anyone else could get their hands on any?

Re: Re: Re: Re: better refine you definition of a good crowd

Originally posted by Brett Li

Go sharpen your head on the pavement, troll:mad:

thats the way, when you know you dont have a comeback, or dont like something i say, go cry foul "troll". perhaps its you who needs to sharpen your head on a spit, as i recall you are from england?? guess that sums up some of your insular views on some topics

Smokin,

I've been posting on this board for a while, League being my fave sport. I just have one question: Why do you hate League sooo much?. Did you get beaten up by a big, bad league boy at school , or did he run off with your girlfriend?

you make the same point time and time again, just wondered what was behind all this bile.

We're here to help:D

I just love reading your lame excuses!

Ms Storm is the best - bites every time and always provides a laugh!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: better refine you definition of a good crowd

No point coming back with anything to try and change your mind. You are a little boy who should have been smacked more by your mommy. you jump on here slagging off and sport that everyone here likes and you are surprised people jump back at you.

As to your comments about England, only an idiot brings nationality into an arguement with a single person. Go roast your head in the oven and grow some genitals while you're at it, Troll:mad:

of course i can, the fact that you are not living in australia means you havent got a clue about the general sentiment in the community, all your views are based around the league media and the people who post on messageboards.

what a joke, when four nations combine to take on australia, they get absolutely thumped (says something about the quality of league in england or lack thereof)

international game?? what i saw tonight was a hybrid super league - rugby league tic tac special. and i wonder why they didnt schedule a 2nd test match. do you think people would turn up again to see such a lacklustre performance from the poms?? that cunningham is laughable, fancy him being the most paid player on earth. he wouldnt even make the newcastle run on side.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: better refine you definition of a good crowd

Ok Nicko18, let's jump into your confused little world. btw. do you become Nicko19 on your next brithday?.

what I was referring to is your anti-League posts, no more. You can say what you like about our League side (everything has already been said). Since when has being a Pom precluded any knowledge (or right to comment) on Rugby League?. This IS an Internatinal sport because if you didn't know already, the game was invented in England and is played in this country with 2 professional leagues.

I think you get caught up in this "over -the-fence" neighbourly domestic mud-throwing between AFL, Union and League to focus a intelligent comment.

Nicko18, to be honest, and I've spoken to a number of League posters here, your little adolescent jibes at League are REALLY boring, you post really juvenile comments that have been discussed many times on this board before. The vast majority of people here come on this thread to discuss their thoughts, intelligent ones, on Rugby League and get frustrated when our site is hijacked by teenagers who are just wasting time until their next pimple appears on their face.

Why don't you get to bed and forget you ever came here....there's a good chap

:D

for the record, 18 stands for 1st of august

and also for the record brett, incase you havent picked it up before, i love league as a sport. i however do not like the NRL as an organisation, they are bringing the game down on the back of their own sinking ship

NRL does not equal rugby league!!!! geez some people are so quick to judge.

and by the way if you got offended at my jibes at the english players, sorry about that, just your assumptions about me hating rugby league really pi$$ me off

christ, now i'm really confused. How come you annoy all us League fans with your posts, when you love the sport we love?.

Just out of interest, can I ask how old you are?. It would be intersting to see how much of the game you saw before it was packaged in it's current form.

i am old enough to have seen quite a bit of league pre super-league, and the breakoff between the ARL and the superleague clubs wasnt really the thing that bothers me. i always thought that if the ARL clubs stood steadfastly together, in the long run they had the support in sydney to be able to succeed. the super league games were nothing short of farcical, particularly when they promised to be of state of origin proportions every game, and their crowds, though initially strong, were sliding each week. i was dissappointed to hear the ARL and the superleague agree to merge back together under the organisation known as the national rugby league. on the surface, the reunification of the code was good, and i liked that, but lets call a spade a spade, the NRL is superleague. it is majority owned by news ltd.

what the national rugby league has done is to rip the tradition out of the games, and put quick cash before the interest of fans. they also brought in a criteria set up especially to favour the old super league clubs, i almost puked every time i heard david moffet say "we are doing what the fans want"

as a result of this rationalisation, league has been sliding in this country ever since, and i for one will not stand for these greedy fat cats raping the sport. either one of two things needs to happen, the NRL should remove itself completely from the running of rugby league, or, its about time the NRL admitted its mistakes and started taking steps to give the game back to the fans. i cannot believe they appointed a former rugby union cheif to run the league (its as if he was still working for union some of the things he did) and i can quite honestly say, if even i was running the game, there would currently be far more interest and support for the game. i certainly wouldnt hide behind good tv ratings to cover the underlying dying interest of the game. grass roots league is practically non existent in the country NSW these days. there are now strong local union comps and AFL grounds springing up everywhere, and this has only happened under the reign of the NRL.

i dont know about everyone else, but it disgusts me every time a david moffet or gallop get up on the footy show or talking league, and the media and journos suck up to them like there's no tomorrow. also disgusts me when they say the game is thriving, because it clearly is not. its about time to put some building initiatives in quick fast before its too late, rather than fool everyone that they are doing a good job. all that does is try to boost news corp share prices, and last until the current board retires or moves on. there are absolutely no long term strategic plans in place, and its testament to a 10 year cycle of turnover of board members

Remove this Banner Ad

better refine you definition of a good crowd

Remove this Banner Ad

Back