Other BF NFL Supporters List and Survey (2007-09)

Level of NFL Support

• High

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Often

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Seldom

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: BigFooty NFL Survey

Favourite NFL moment?
Immaculate Reception, but that was way before my time, so probably Randle El to Ward in SB 40 - aka zero strong z short fake toss 39 x reverse pass for any Steelers fans out there! Also, not an actual game moment, but when Franco Harris walked out befor SB 40(when they presented the SB MVPs) and pulled the towel out and waved it with all the Steeler fans, that sent the hairs on the back of the neck straight up.

Least favourite NFL moment?
Probably the second AFC championship loss to the Patriots. It just felt like it was our turn, even with a rookie qb, and especially after the season we'd had. In the first loss, the Patriots were at least a good story.

As much as the Immaculate Reception was a great Steeler moment... you can't claim it Francis. Sorry. I'll allow the zero strong z short fake toss 39 x reverse pass play.. but it's all good & impressive that you've been an NFL fan for a long time now thanx to leaving the video recorder running.. ;) but it's just something I'd like to know..

How long have you been a Steelers fan?? I can appreciate the colours excuse but surely.. something else that inspired you?? please do tell.

Woodson, imo it doesnt matter whatsoever how long someone has been a fan. You were a Niner dabbler/fan thru the 80's. But more than that, someone could come here who has been a fan since 1975, and claim youre a noob, not a real Steeler fan. And then someone could come here who's been a fan since 1965 and claim the other person was just a bandwagon fan, and that he is a REAL Steeler fan. Etc. Round and round.

This kinda thing often used to happen on Raider boards whenever arguments happened about something, people always using that "how long have you been a fan" as a way to discredit others or boost themselves. And what I described above actually happens/happened there.....you have many old fans in those forums, guys who go back to when before Davis joined the Raiders, were there for the opening games in 1960. Eventually they all worked out that everyone is entitled to be considered a "real" fan and no one person is more a fan than someone else.

And those young'uns who werent around in the 1970's, but have seen full replays, read a lot of history, about the teams, the players, the times, were still entitled to talk about the past before they were born. Of course, they never KNEW it properly, and acknowledge as such, and the older fans often talk about historical things, what really happened back then, correcting the newer fans on certain incorrect info, etc, and the young'uns appreciate hearing about all that and become more knowledgable and in future can talk with more confidence about things that occured in the past. Like passing the torch down thru the generations of fans.

Woodson, imo it doesnt matter whatsoever how long someone has been a fan. You were a Niner dabbler/fan thru the 80's. But more than that, someone could come here who has been a fan since 1975, and claim youre a noob, not a real Steeler fan.

Exactly GG... I don't EVER recall 'bragging about the 70's' on these forums.. that's why I had a crack at some of the Fins fans for 'talking up Miami's Perfect season' when they were oblivious to it all at the time. Good to see that the wheel has finally turned and you've caught yourself out. Yes, it does matter how long a 'fan' has been. Gotta respect guys that admit to being 'newbies' to the game and not pretending to follow the teams thru Glory times when they were either 'not born' or sucking a nipple or two. That's as much glory they got. I can't stand pretentious people. Respect that at least. :p

Hopefully one day you'll know exactly what I'm talking about when you are in company with such 'fake people'.

Eventually they all worked out that everyone is entitled to be considered a "real" fan and no one person is more a fan than someone else.

And those young'uns who werent around in the 1970's, but have seen full replays, read a lot of history, about the teams, the players, the times, were still entitled to talk about the past before they were born. Of course, they never KNEW it properly, and acknowledge as such, and the older fans often talk about historical things, what really happened back then, correcting the newer fans on certain incorrect info, etc, and the young'uns appreciate hearing about all that and become more knowledgable and in future can talk with more confidence about things that occured in the past. Like passing the torch down thru the generations of fans.

Talk about and being knowledgable about history is one thing...full credit to them but to use it as BRAGGING RIGHTs is utter Bulldust. I eat such cretins that cross that line. I also won't defend Steeler fans that go in that 'fake direction'. It's poor form IMHO. History can be discussed calmly without proving to be King Of The Hill. That's what seems to be happening on those Raider sites. Too many hills & Kings. Nowhere to ride.

Disagree. Many people have watched full replays of Superbowls or games or seasons, or have a lot of video footage of players like Bo Jackson or Bernie Kosar or Jerry Rice, and tho they might be only say 20 years old, they're entitled to say their favorite moments or worst moments were such and such game, or that their favorite player was someone who retired before they were born.

It's kinda the same with music and rock bands. Some of my favorite bands are Pink Floyd, for instance. And they've been around since 1960. Did very little post 1990. Yet im entitled to say they're one of my favorite bands because I have replayed stuff that got recorded many years before I was born, just like watching video replays of a superbowl. And you often get like 14 yo's today who are all suddenly getting into Pink Floyd as "artists" and go around like I used to when I was 14, with them carrying on like they're big Floyd fans.....and sometimes you get people our age who mock them saying "what would they know, i grew up during the Wall era, I'M a REAL Floyd fan, not these young'uns".....but it's just touchiness from everyone imo. No need for it. Everyone can be a fan.

I'm a big fan of Benjamin Franklin, Douglas MacArthur, George Patton, Sitting Bull, Crazy Horse, James Dean, etc. I mean a real big fan. But that's the same isnt it! What would I know? I wasnt there! Only ever watched recorded film (movies), or read books about them, or seen video footage of them.

Disagree. Many people have watched full replays of Superbowls or games or seasons, or have a lot of video footage of players like Bo Jackson or Bernie Kosar or Jerry Rice, and tho they might be only say 20 years old, they're entitled to say their favorite moments or worst moments were such and such game, or that their favorite player was someone who retired before they were born.

It's kinda the same with music and rock bands.

Hold it... now... you're changing the subject entirely with music. Who brags about music??? Music isn't a competition thing as much as it use to be. That's my point. Following sporting teams is much about "point scoring" in discussions, you know that, he knows that, she knows that, we all know that. Having the opportunity to watch retro footage... fine, it's all part of history. Everyone knows what your talking about. I think it's important that 'appreciation of the past players/ performances' is acknowledged. Who cares to brag about such things?? That's what I'm referring to. It gets incredibly childish when someone needs to do a song & dance NOW about the 90's dynasty Cowboys being as great as they were just to rile Bills & Steeler, even Niners fans to only point score in a pointless debate that has no direction. That's why it gets incredibly annoying when young'uns have nothing better to do but to 'point out the trophy cabinet achievements' when it's a moot point. I don't have issues that a newbie Dallas fan has a high opinion of his fav. Cowboy players but when the little Sh** needs to point score for Supabah XXX just to 'claim a point score for a debate because he/ she feels insecure, and needs a feel good about him/herself.. that's just BS..

What I do is agree and admit the Steelers lost but also point out the same anguish I had to put up with when NO'D, giftwrapped those picks to CB Brown.. same conversation I'll remind them that Romo did the same shit THIS SEASON.. how the frustration was magnified 10 fold. Of course, some 'fickle Cowboy supporter' may not want to remember such a game.. and that's where I have an option to RUB it IN HARDER and remind them of WTF happened in 2007 season.. the 'point scoring debates' can be exhausting let me tell ya.

people point score with music a damn lot. "muso's" are like "jocks" are like "nerds" are like "preps" are like "rev-heads".....they're all competitive in their sub-cultures over their respective things.....bands, sports teams, geek stuff, fashion, cars. That includes bragging about what they like or is better or who is more knowledgable than another in the same sub-culture.

people point score with music a damn lot. "muso's" are like "jocks" are like "nerds" are like "preps" are like "rev-heads".....they're all competitive in their sub-cultures over their respective things.....bands, sports teams, geek stuff, fashion, cars. That includes bragging about what they like or is better or who is more knowledgable than another in the same sub-culture.

Different eras can't be easily compared to each other. Will be happy to agree/ disagree on the music side of 'point scoring' ...as the saying goes.. each to their their own but I'm not gonna let a 'bragging rights' point score from the sports perspective that doesn't have 'I WAS THERE' factor. By all means, celebrate the music.. I've touched on many genre types as appreciation listening but I really don't feel I'm a true fan of I don't own it on recordings and even outlayed hard earned to get 'good seats' at the artist gigs.

Speaking of such GG, I had this MUSIC idea in mind for a long while. Is it possible to have a AE NFL music cd collection thread? I think sharing new stuff (outside the commercial releases) will enhance a better appreciation for music we have hoarded away but LOVE as much as our NFL teams. I'd like to get to know more about AE BF regulars' music choices.. even get a cd put together.

As much as the Immaculate Reception was a great Steeler moment... you can't claim it Francis. Sorry. I'll allow the zero strong z short fake toss 39 x reverse pass play.. but it's all good & impressive that you've been an NFL fan for a long time now thanx to leaving the video recorder running.. ;) but it's just something I'd like to know..

How long have you been a Steelers fan?? I can appreciate the colours excuse but surely.. something else that inspired you?? please do tell.

I've been a Steeler fan since the season before SB XXX actually. I readily admit that I jumped on the bandwagon then, but when I did, I got right into it. I read everything I could get my hands on - books, football digest, anything, and Steelers seemed a perfect fit - same colours, Richmond were started as a working-class Catholic club, the Steelers were a working-class team owned and run by a prominant Catholic family who had shaped the team's identity. Throw in the fact that both clubs had heavy success in the 70s, both had won their last title in 1980 and both had waited a long while for the ultimate success and the Steelers seemed a perfect match and I stayed with them. The Bus arriving the next season strengthened my support being an ND fan and he was my favourite player.

You will note that I didn't try to claim the immaculate reception, hence me saying "way before my time" and then giving another moment from SB 40. But I would guess that most Steeler fans would place that as a favourite moment even if they hadn't seen it, which, again, I didn't. You cannot deny that it was a landmark moment in the history of the franchise and changed the course of the Steelers, and as a historical moment is very important. You are welcome to come see the videos of regular season and playoff games I have taped over the last decade as some sort of proof of my Steeler support, but to be honest, I don't think I need to justify my support to an anonymous person on a forum.

I am a long-time lurker but have avoided posting because, in terms of knowledge of personnel and tactics, some of you guys are on another level, so I am happy just to read and learn, but I have a real interest in NFL history and that is something I know a bit about so I thought I could offer a bit of interesting information in a couple of relevant threads. If you want to imply that I am a bandwagonner, that is fine, as I was - thirteen years ago, but look at the AFL club I support; how many bandwagonners would stick with Richmond?

Favourite team?
Uh my FAVORITE team -da Steelers

Other teams you like?
There are other teams?

Least favourite teams?
The Cleveland Ravens and Baltimore Browns

Favourite players from your team?
Gotta give up for Farrior

Favourite players from other teams?
Steve Smith and Jason Taylor

Least favourite players?
Teddy Bruschi the "true American Hero" and his butt buddy T. Brady

Favourite NFL moment?
The Patriots losing Superbowl 42

Any AFC championship loss to Patriots

Player you would most like to meet?
Troy Palumalu with a big blunt

Coach / administrator / broadcaster etc. you would most like to meet?
Cope

Favourite team uniform?
Steelers

How did you start following the NFL?
In the womb at 1 month

What do you enjoy most about the NFL?
Beating the cheating Patriots

What NFL gear do you own?
Terrible Towel

Have you been to an NFL game?
Yes

Who will win the 2008 Superbowl?
STEELERS

Which team is a sleeping giant, and will explode next season?
Jaguars

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey garnie, good to see a bit of Raiders love from you? Is it a bay area thing (with the 9ers as well)?

had the Raiders been playing out of Oakland when i got into the game, i could confidently say that they'd be my #1 team now...........i just had an aversion to LA and its sporting teams at the time. But i liked everything about the raiders.......the darkness, the rape-pillage-plunder image, the working class ethos............

and yes, i like the bay area, although a significant part of the east bay is an armpit!...........ive been there several times as i have friends who live north of the bay in napa county. dunno, if you've been there but its quite interesting how the demographic changes once you cross the bay bridge from san francisco and head into oakland..........all of a sudden, caucasions appear to be outnumbered by african-americans/hispanics etc, and the general socio-economic status of its citizens, people living on top of each other, the drug trade and hence overall crime is a significant problem. hence, when im there i try to spend as little time in oakland as is necessary.......i mean, there's a better chance of being murdered in the coliseums car park on game days then there is the Jets winning a superbowl......even that says something. it's ironic though that it has contributed to the tough image of the raiders that i like.

mind you, you need to go through some of san francisco's least desirable neighbourhoods to get to candlestick point too......but the city north of maket street is :thumbsu: niners definately the classier cousin.

Cope

myroncope.jpg

Don't know how to break it to you.. but Double Yoi!! Myron Cope, inventor of the Terrible Towel sadly passed away almost 11 months ago.

What's the chances of retiring the 'unoriginal BF alias name' you have and getting something more personal?

Favourite NFL moment?

Signup date of January 2009, no mention of Superbowl XL.....

blowing.jpg

Signup date of January 2009, no mention of Superbowl XL.....

Extrordinary eh.. if you want to grill this newbie Rory, be my guest.

Favourite team?
Uh my FAVORITE team -da Steelers

Other teams you like?
There are other teams?

Least favourite teams?
The Cleveland Ravens and Baltimore Browns

Gotta give up for Farrior

Steve Smith and Jason Taylor

Least favourite players?
Teddy Bruschi the "true American Hero" and his butt buddy T. Brady

Favourite NFL moment?

Any AFC championship loss to Patriots

Troy Palumalu with a big blunt

Cope

Favourite team uniform?
Steelers

In the womb at 1 month

Beating the cheating Patriots

Terrible Towel

Yes

STEELERS

Jaguars

definately too much Patriots envy in there........how sad.

New England = very good football organisation of this decade.

definately too much Patriots envy in there........how sad.

New England = very good football organisation of this decade.

I agree. what a sap.

The "in the womb at one month" answer tells you this lousy poster is full of it. :rolleyes: I give you my permission to bring him/her down. Won't be sharing
much of the Bragging Rights now with idiotic replies.

Favourite team?
49ers

Other teams you like?
Chargers

Least favourite teams?
None really but never really liked the Cowboys

Joe Montana

McNabb
Tedy Bruschi

Least favourite players?
TO
Eli Manning

Joe Montana

John Madden

Favourite team uniform?
49ers

Started in 1985 as a 8 yo, first Super Bowl Bears & Patriots. I thought a sack meant they had fired the QB and was surprised to see someone sacked 7 times in a game

Err quite a bit, caps, tops

49ers 24 Tampa 7. Candelstick Park, Oct 03

hopefully the steelers

Of course the 49ers

Welcome aboard dk19. Hope you stick around this forum a helluva lot more next season which well could reap substantial benefits, just ask Sven26, Zarko, Cassius Clay and Moo who have been more regular on this forum for about the past 7 months.

15299729_400x400.jpg

Favourite team?
J!E!T!S!
Other teams you like?
Just the Jets
Least favourite teams?
Bills, Patriots
Laveranues Coles, Leon Washington
Peyton and Eli Manning
Least favourite players?
JaMarcus Russell, Brett Favre
Favourite NFL moment?
Jets beating the Bills and Patriots this season
Jets losing to teams that suck this season
Chad Pennington
Mangini, to kick him in the balls
Favourite team uniform?
Saints
Madden '99
Watching Jets games
Jets belt buckle
Nope
Who will win the 2009 Superbowl?
I'd like the Cards too, but my money''s on Steelers
I'll tell you after the off season. With Mangini gone and Favre hopefully gone, at this stage I'd say Jets have a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back