BFL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I see Phillips was quick to give South the arse and find his third club before the deadline.
Yeah with the broken thumb he was going to miss another 3 so decided to go to a club in the finals window as his probably going to struggle to get back into the Carlton VFL side. Didn’t break his thumb he might have stayed on.

It’s going to be interesting to see if the Ballarat league want South to stay on. I think they should be trying to get Gisbourne across and eliminate the bye and have South stay but they will have to get some assistance otherwise they probably will seek alternative options.

How do young players accumulate points at South? Some of the players just returned to footy or come across with mates to play a game each week. They are far from stars and been selected in the seniors to give them opportunities to play senior footy yet some are 3 or 4 points. Gee that’s harsh and not helping keep young kids in this game of AFL. It’s no wonder there is a decline in numbers at 17-19s age groups across the state. Plus the decline in standard in 17-19s footy..Yes I agree they should be points if they have talent and have previous played senior footy elsewhere, or were at Coates level or top 3-4 in B&F but just battling kids I don’t see this points allocation as a broad rule, as a good rule.

How do young players accumulate points at South? Some of the players just returned to footy or come across with mates to play a game each week. They are far from stars and been selected in the seniors to give them opportunities to play senior footy yet some are 3 or 4 points. Gee that’s harsh and not helping keep young kids in this game of AFL. It’s no wonder there is a decline in numbers at 17-19s age groups across the state. Plus the decline in standard in 17-19s footy..Yes I agree they should be points if they have talent and have previous played senior footy elsewhere, or were at Coates level or top 3-4 in B&F but just battling kids I don’t see this points allocation as a broad rule, as a good rule.
AFL? we all participate or support grassroots australian Rules. please don't fall for that trick Turbo you come across as much better and more articulate than that. agree though the retention and standard of 3rds football everywhere is a concern more so when its this 19 and a half waffle

Yeah with the broken thumb he was going to miss another 3 so decided to go to a club in the finals window as his probably going to struggle to get back into the Carlton VFL side. Didn’t break his thumb he might have stayed on.

It’s going to be interesting to see if the Ballarat league want South to stay on. I think they should be trying to get Gisbourne across and eliminate the bye and have South stay but they will have to get some assistance otherwise they probably will seek alternative options.

Why do you keep bringing up the league giving South assistance. If South can’t be competitive on a level playing field (with additional points mind you) then maybe they don’t belong in the Ballarat League

AFL? we all participate or support grassroots australian Rules. please don't fall for that trick Turbo you come across as much better and more articulate than that. agree though the retention and standard of 3rds football everywhere is a concern more so when its this 19 and a half waffle
Well afl own grass roots footy now unfortunately, only the picola league has been smart enough

Why do you keep bringing up the league giving South assistance. If South can’t be competitive on a level playing field (with additional points mind you) then maybe they don’t belong in the Ballarat League
We can't have clubs like melton south, Maryborough, corowa with little future hope, although corowa could land crezza next season but at tne moment and into the future they'll just gothrough the motions. They've got a well credinatialed coach, so that's a plus for them. You know do they seek to be vfl feeder club where a Williamstown for example asks all their players not getting a vfl game to play at melton south, it's a strong league, they all play together and are put in positions for their development, unlike playing for some random club.

The phillips one surprises me a bit, he does one on one coaching, surely he wants to make good relationships with clubs and help junior programs, as it'll help he's business. I remember hearing how much nathan lovett murray was going out of he's way helping with kangaroo flat juniors, when he was at Bendigo bombers and they had a bye, he made a big impression even though he played 3-4 games there. Melton is a growing suburb and if he was smart could have really grown the business there.

South could have a million points, what they need is 5-6 recruits to commit for 3 years, which is so hard to get, as guys are signing up knowing finals won't happen first year

They might 'own' it but the AFL doesn't control my interest in and passion for country footy. We don't play AFL and I happily enjoy that fact.
Well they are controlling it, through afl Victoria, how the game operates, the points system, salary, they are sucking ever last dollar out of country footy until it dies, then people only have afl to watch and support, which means more dollars

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well they are controlling it, through afl Victoria, how the game operates, the points system, salary, they are sucking ever last dollar out of country footy until it dies, then people only have afl to watch and support, which means more dollars
They don't control my passion though. Once they kill local footy, I'll watch more soccer.

We can't have clubs like melton south, Maryborough, corowa with little future hope, although corowa could land crezza next season but at tne moment and into the future they'll just gothrough the motions. They've got a well credinatialed coach, so that's a plus for them. You know do they seek to be vfl feeder club where a Williamstown for example asks all their players not getting a vfl game to play at melton south, it's a strong league, they all play together and are put in positions for their development, unlike playing for some random club.

The phillips one surprises me a bit, he does one on one coaching, surely he wants to make good relationships with clubs and help junior programs, as it'll help he's business. I remember hearing how much nathan lovett murray was going out of he's way helping with kangaroo flat juniors, when he was at Bendigo bombers and they had a bye, he made a big impression even though he played 3-4 games there. Melton is a growing suburb and if he was smart could have really grown the business there.

South could have a million points, what they need is 5-6 recruits to commit for 3 years, which is so hard to get, as guys are signing up knowing finals won't happen first year
I dont know South are struggling for money. So what they need is a strong footy ops manager with great knowledge of local football, thats says no to players coming in for one off games and no to players that have a shit reputation around the other league's. Research not just a suburb in the north. Focus on a few solid citizens that are in for the long haul, try to add each year, and improve from there.They are out there you just have to look.

They haven’t got additional points mate. Only got 46 which is the same as metro footy leagues. Even 50 would help them somewhat.
Yes maybe they don’t belong but what is the feeling around the other clubs and the league on this. They seem to be trying hard and get do have one of the strongest followings when they are going ok.

They haven’t got additional points mate. Only got 46 which is the same as metro footy leagues. Even 50 would help them somewhat.
Yes maybe they don’t belong but what is the feeling around the other clubs and the league on this. They seem to be trying hard and get do have one of the strongest followings when they are going ok.
They have more points than every other team in this league which is what I’m talking about.
The clubs that get to play them twice are happy they are in the league I guess

Maybe if they drop metro teams points to low 30s it might help. I see the ovensvand murray are going to base their points on where you finish on the ladder, premiers 36 points and last 46 points. The problem is if metro clubs and other leagues don't follow is they'll lose players, should be done across all major leagues in the state

Maybe if they drop metro teams points to low 30s it might help. I see the ovensvand murray are going to base their points on where you finish on the ladder, premiers 36 points and last 46 points. The problem is if metro clubs and other leagues don't follow is they'll lose players, should be done across all major leagues in the state
Hey Trent, I think we needed something so the points system was seen as something to even out competitions. In theory it’s a good idea however it was rushed in and needs to reviewed and fixed up. This sliding scale in the O&M I don’t agree with as what will it do as most of the top sides in most leagues play under the points anyhow. It’s how do we change it to allow the bottom clubs to recruit to become more competitive. This doesn’t answer anything it’s just a quick solution from some w***er sitting in an office with there heater on.
Maybe we allow them 1 marquee player outside the points and cap so they can build around that. We obviously don’t want them recruiting 4-5 ex AFL/VFL but if they recruit local, country players then there needs to be some consideration on how the points can be minimised. Any juniors maybe it’s a minimum of 1 season rather than 40 games before they are classed as 1 pointers. But have some rules around how that junior is rated. So they recruit some younger types who can’t get senior opportunities at a higher club and they play first year at 3-4 points but after 1 season drop to 1 point. That might help with regards to building a list going forward so you have a mix of recruits, younger types, a marquee signing, and your own talent mixed in.
Surely that’s a good system to build from??

They have more points than every other team in this league which is what I’m talking about.
The clubs that get to play them twice are happy they are in the league I guess
Slammer they don’t have much more points than the top few sides. They did have 50 back in the Fev years I believe but now it’s only 46 same as edfl premier top side Keilor for example.
Think Corowa got 60 points this season after a year off. I wouldn’t like to see clubs go into recess so give them help.
It’s alright to criticise but South are not playing the game the wrong way by going around belting opposing players or forfeiting games. They show up for all 3 games every weeks.

The council hasn’t helped either with investing into Melton bloods facilities a few years back and only now building new facilities at south but it’s not 2 storey like bloods. All this although a small thing doesn’t help.

So Veszpremi jumped ship before the deadline aswell lol. Seriously

And Anthony Wilson played a game in the Adelaide footy league last weekend. Safe to assume he won’t be back at the panthers ?

Edit: and Darrean Wyatt played for Port Melbourne colts on Saturday. 3 clubs before June 30…
Is fairness vespremi is 35 this year, I'm not sure many 35 year olds would be rolling out of bed to get pumped by 150 points. He's a cherry on top player now, for a good side to finish off

So Veszpremi jumped ship before the deadline aswell lol. Seriously

And Anthony Wilson played a game in the Adelaide footy league last weekend. Safe to assume he won’t be back at the panthers ?

Edit: and Darrean Wyatt played for Port Melbourne colts on Saturday. 3 clubs before June 30…
Veszpremi left on good terms and possibly be back next year. At this point of his life he has left to play for a side competing for finals. However his injury has refrained him from playing since round 1.

Wilson’s circumstances changed and his still in Adelaide unfortunately.

Wyatt considered staying but wasn’t under contract.

All 3 left on good terms and South going with kids for rest of season and then attempt to relaunch for season 2025.
I guess it can be seen as a negative but then again maybe it’s saving them $$ to go after some players now for next season.

There result on Saturday actually wasn’t that bad considering North usually touch them up. They kept North to a reasonable score considering, just unable to score themselves.

Veszpremi left on good terms and possibly be back next year. At this point of his life he has left to play for a side competing for finals. However his injury has refrained him from playing since round 1.

Wilson’s circumstances changed and his still in Adelaide unfortunately.

Wyatt considered staying but wasn’t under contract.

All 3 left on good terms and South going with kids for rest of season and then attempt to relaunch for season 2025.
I guess it can be seen as a negative but then again maybe it’s saving them $$ to go after some players now for next season.

There result on Saturday actually wasn’t that bad considering North usually touch them up. They kept North to a reasonable score considering, just unable to score themselves.

I’d be signing his clearance with please do not return

Remove this Banner Ad

BFL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back