BFL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

You think people think this league is administered well?
Whilst like any league there may be some issues Alabama, Ballarat is well ahead of most.

It’s a great league and well ahead of the pack in many ways.

Good question. Somebody seen both comps and can provide an answer?
I’ve seen a lot of both leagues and it’s completely different styles of footy.
BFNL- Big grounds and it’s open fast footy and transitions fast post turnover. More younger lighter players also.
EDFL- Most mid-small sized grounds and it’s inside stoppage footy. Bigger bodies and probably average age would be older.

There is little that would seperate the Meltons, East Point compared to Keilor, Pascoe Vale. At windy hill the edfl sides would start favourite, yet played at City Oval I reckon the BFNL clubs would win.
Example is a Bewley. Dominates in BFNL but if he was to play EDFL probably wouldn’t be allowed as much space to be able to run.

Another example is Matt Watson Pascoe Vale- Doesn’t kick as many goals as you might think but if was playing in BFNL he would kick plenty playing deep forward. More difficult for defenders to push back on him compared to edfl.

Cheers
Turbo

I’ve seen a lot of both leagues and it’s completely different styles of footy.
BFNL- Big grounds and it’s open fast footy and transitions fast post turnover. More younger lighter players also.
EDFL- Most mid-small sized grounds and it’s inside stoppage footy. Bigger bodies and probably average age would be older.

There is little that would seperate the Meltons, East Point compared to Keilor, Pascoe Vale. At windy hill the edfl sides would start favourite, yet played at City Oval I reckon the BFNL clubs would win.
Example is a Bewley. Dominates in BFNL but if he was to play EDFL probably wouldn’t be allowed as much space to be able to run.

Another example is Matt Watson Pascoe Vale- Doesn’t kick as many goals as you might think but if was playing in BFNL he would kick plenty playing deep forward. More difficult for defenders to push back on him compared to edfl.

Cheers
Turbo
Out of interest turbo do you rather watch BFL style footy it EDFL and have you been to Ballarat to watch games?

Out of interest turbo do you rather watch BFL style footy it EDFL and have you been to Ballarat to watch games?
To be honest I don’t mind watching either as both got different atmospheres to enjoy. Enjoy the surroundings of Darley’s ground for example in BFNL and also Sunburys ground as well as obviously heading to Melton South. These grounds tend to have less cars and supporter’s mingling and bit of banter. Didn’t mind upstairs at Sebas either. Found the new set up at Melton a bit to open for me and preferred the older style set up with fire going as more banter.

Yes mate been out to Lake Wendoree, Sebas, Ballarat Swans.

Lot more umpire criticism in EDFL and verbal from supporters to players which kind of irritates me probably due to a few more intoxicated people 😄😄

Cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They can all be streamed live from the BFL website.
Pretty sure it's just match of the day with commentary though.
A couple for you BlueJet. At the footy in Ballarat yesterday, heard North had to forfeit their 19s. Injuries/unavailability?
Also McCartney full time at Collingwood next year ?

A couple for you BlueJet. At the footy in Ballarat yesterday, heard North had to forfeit their 19s. Injuries/unavailability?
Also McCartney full time at Collingwood next year ?
Correct unfortunately. With significant unavailablilities from the Senior squad it's left us light on.
Obviously v disappointing for those missing out on a game & yes, McCartney is expected to take on a larger role with the Pies what that looks like will be announced in due course.

Correct unfortunately. With significant unavailablilities from the Senior squad it's left us light on.
Obviously v disappointing for those missing out on a game & yes, McCartney is expected to take on a larger role with the Pies what that looks like will be announced in due course.
No disrespect to North in this post but although Melton South have predominantly struggled all year ( and last year) they always put out 3 sides every Saturday even if some of the young blokes have to play 2 games being 19s then seniors at 2pm, or they call up help for the reserves as they did on Saturday where even sponsors (who play supers) rejected a free luncheon and beers to help out and fill in for the reserves. Yes people ( not you BJ) can come on here and sink the boots in but instead of making the easy call to pull reserves or 19s they continue to put all sides out each Saturday.

Also why wouldn’t North call up under 17s to fill in? Were they in finals mate?

Cheers
Turbo

We have been calling up u17s, a couple played in the 2s on the weekend.
We have a significant amount of players missing at present, it's something the club has been trying to manage.
Unfortunately, it came to a head on the weekend.
1000001723.jpg

Last edited:
We have been calling up u17s, a couple played in the 2s on the weekend.
We have a significant amount of players missing at present, it's something the club has been trying to manage.
Unfortunately, it came to a head on the weekend.
View attachment 2069692
Didn’t they also forfeit a game earlier this year. Maybe against Darley at Darley if my memory is any good.

Vote to go to RDFL, should get enough votes to get it done
Gisborne Giants will become the 10th team when they join the RDFL next season. Unlikely that the RDFL clubs would agree to a 2nd new club joining in the same season. Would also make 11 teams, which gets a bit unwieldy.

Wonder if South and Centrals would explore the option of amalgamating?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

BFL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back