BFL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Gisborne Giants will become the 10th team when they join the RDFL next season. Unlikely that the RDFL clubs would agree to a 2nd new club joining in the same season. Would also make 11 teams, which gets a bit unwieldy.

Wonder if South and Centrals would explore the option of amalgamating?
There is no value in amalgamation, they both have plenty of numbers. Melton South should seriously consider WRFL.

It will be a massive point of difference for them.

A 10 team comp & no clear advantage to sides getting to play a particular club twice.
It would have been good to see them get their shit together but it appears it isn't to be.
9 or 10 team local level comp works. play each other twice June long weekend off and onother well placed comp bye maybe depends on easter. finals top 5. RDFL in a good place either way after talk before covid that they were on there knees.

Last edited:

There is no value in amalgamation, they both have plenty of numbers. Melton South should seriously consider WRFL.

It will be a massive point of difference for them.
Personally think Centrals would be best placed to go into WRFL div2 if South vote to go to Riddell. With the Riddell league becoming a bit stronger and being a major league next season I think Centrals could struggle. South have blooded a lot of kids this season and if they can recruit could easily be a competitive team in the Riddell very quickly as it should be.

No disrespect to North in this post but although Melton South have predominantly struggled all year ( and last year) they always put out 3 sides every Saturday even if some of the young blokes have to play 2 games being 19s then seniors at 2pm, or they call up help for the reserves as they did on Saturday where even sponsors (who play supers) rejected a free luncheon and beers to help out and fill in for the reserves. Yes people ( not you BJ) can come on here and sink the boots in but instead of making the easy call to pull reserves or 19s they continue to put all sides out each Saturday.

Also why wouldn’t North call up under 17s to fill in? Were they in finals mate?

Cheers
Turbo
North forfeiting the 2s tomorrow. 19s last week. They must be taking it in turns. The 2s are equal 2nd and the 19s are 5th. So whats going on ???

Playing Reserves last week enabled them to defeat Ballarat and open up an eight points gap between them and Sebastopol in fourth. Their 19s were secure in fifth so not playing had no effect on ladder position.
This week they are scheduled to play East Point so forfeiting Reserves will protect their percentage and keep them in with a small chance of finishing second. The 19s can absorb a loss so didn't matter they're playing the top side.
Player stocks low due to injuries. Shuffling 19s between grades.

Playing Reserves last week enabled them to defeat Ballarat and open up an eight points gap between them and Sebastopol in fourth. Their 19s were secure in fifth so not playing had no effect on ladder position.
This week they are scheduled to play East Point so forfeiting Reserves will protect their percentage and keep them in with a small chance of finishing second. The 19s can absorb a loss so didn't matter they're playing the top side.
Unfortunate circumstances. But played it smart reading that

Unfortunate circumstances. But played it smart reading that
Surely you can’t think that’s a great move. Anyone giving any thoughts to the opposition clubs who miss playing a game. Plus the revenue the home club east point miss out on. I will say I think it’s now poor form in this premier competition..

Surely you can’t think that’s a great move. Anyone giving any thoughts to the opposition clubs who miss playing a game. Plus the revenue the home club east point miss out on. I will say I think it’s now poor form in this premier competition..
If they don’t have the numbers then they don’t have the numbers. What ya gonna do

You've had the reality of the situation pointed out to you earlier this week, I'm not sure what you don't understand.

In a lot of leagues, forfeits are scored as 60-0 or 90-0, which would ensure that there is a percentage penalty and would stop such practices taking place.

Sounds like the league need to add in a by-law to circumvent this in the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a lot of leagues, forfeits are scored as 60-0 or 90-0, which would ensure that there is a percentage penalty and would stop such practices taking place.

Sounds like the league need to add in a by-law to circumvent this in the future.
in my comp forfeits are scored as highest score across the division that weekend v lowest. Which works well if its an uneven division like reserves have been known to be

As standard, no credibility.
Why don’t I have credibility. If the league allow then clubs could just follow is my point. BJ I’m just bemused that a huge club like North Ballarat (with a big budget) can’t field all 3 sides. It’s staggering tbh.
With South I guess it was the best call as they actually were competitive by the looks. They have struggled all year but continued to field sides and you surely agree on field and off North are the stronger club with the social club and the coaching structure they appointed which wouldn’t be cheap..

Anyway I’m sure most get my point..

Remove this Banner Ad

BFL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back