BFL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

On the Bendigo thread it was said that Ballarat is changing to 18.5s in 2025. Is this accurate or just some Bigfooty BS.

Ballarat juniors are changing to 10/12/14/16.5 and 19s revert to 18.5. I really cant see the need for .5 in the age groups. Leave it as it was or just have 16s and 18s. IMO.
Edfl have 18.5 so maybe just trying to keep everything in line. Does help slightly with numbers as well in that tough age group.

Surely keeping it at u19’s is better for numbers
Isn't it better for numbers for reserves and seniors? Under 19s is a thing of the past surely. If more 18 year olds play its more 1 pointers clubs use, it excelerates their footy by playing senior footy, it should be under 18s across the state

The concern previously was around the attrition post u18s. The extra year was to provide an additional year of physical development before stepping up to open age footy.
The clubs had different perspectives on it which is fair enough but I don't think it makes a significant difference either way.

Isn't it better for numbers for reserves and seniors? Under 19s is a thing of the past surely. If more 18 year olds play its more 1 pointers clubs use, it excelerates their footy by playing senior footy, it should be under 18s across the state
Many kids quit playing as soon as they were open age, 19’s keeps them playing footy longer

Yeah exactly and having 19 year olds playing against 16 year olds wasn’t great and some young kids left to play 17s in another competition so I think 18.5 is a fair balance in some way to keep more kids that age interested as numbers are definitely declining in all competitions over recent years. Reckon Friday night would gather more kids in this competition as clubs like edfl can’t play 18.5s as the thirds now play Friday night.

Many kids quit playing as soon as they were open age, 19’s keeps them playing footy longer
I think that's because previously in metro comps and major league footy, the size of guys playing senior footy, there was too big of a gap. I'd think that most kids now are bigger, I wondered past some gfl under 19s the other week as my sons were on the other oval and they were big boys who'd easily play senior footy. I'd suggest the geelong St marys under 19s would beat plenty of senior teams on a day like Saturday when the sun's out too

Age groups is a complex issue. What works best for player retention? Player development? One aspect of the odd age groups is that you don’t have kids 16 years old attached to a senior environment. Bottom age 19s turn 18 in the season.

what i cant understand is how can junior games for points purposes stop at U17 in comps but then playing 5 or games of U19 football dont qualify for a reduction the same way reserved or senior games do.

if you play at a senior club then surely one way or the other games matter towards something but I recently was told in the Edfl and i think ridell league it dont

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Age groups is a complex issue. What works best for player retention? Player development? One aspect of the odd age groups is that you don’t have kids 16 years old attached to a senior environment. Bottom age 19s turn 18 in the season.
The biggest problem with the .5 concept is the 6 to 10 kids that get that extra year dont want to play a third year of 16s because all their mates have moved to the next age group.

I think that's because previously in metro comps and major league footy, the size of guys playing senior footy, there was too big of a gap. I'd think that most kids now are bigger, I wondered past some gfl under 19s the other week as my sons were on the other oval and they were big boys who'd easily play senior footy. I'd suggest the geelong St marys under 19s would beat plenty of senior teams on a day like Saturday when the sun's out too
There is/was concern too that district clubs would poach heavily from the cohorts moving up to open age footy.
The idea being to safeguard club & player, there are obviously some issues either way though.

There is/was concern too that district clubs would poach heavily from the cohorts moving up to open age footy.
The idea being to safeguard club & player, there are obviously some issues either way though.
Maybe losing guys to metro clubs who offer under 19s. But if it was state wide and if you drop metro player points to 30, far more would be playing senior footy and makes an achievable aspiration. If the essendon premier league played at 30 points, 8 under 19s players would be playing senior footy and improve their footy pretty quickly and be far cheaper for clubs then paying every guy in the seniors good money

Maybe losing guys to metro clubs who offer under 19s. But if it was state wide and if you drop metro player points to 30, far more would be playing senior footy and makes an achievable aspiration. If the essendon premier league played at 30 points, 8 under 19s players would be playing senior footy and improve their footy pretty quickly and be far cheaper for clubs then paying every guy in the seniors good money
I meant regarding players jumping across to the CHFL etc. Where the perception was that the standard was lower and the adjustment more minor, clubs then have a greater battle in getting them back once they've made the move but overall I agree

The original premise behind Rod Ward's administration pushing for the older age grade was because some Eastern Bloc clubs were said to be losing players to neighbouring metro leagues with U/19 competitions.
The actual proposal in its first proposal was to go to U/19.5 which the clubs rejected completely. The administration/board pushed through 19s a year later despite some of the Eastern clubs still preferring 18.5s.
When a major league has seen more than 80 players eligible for U/19s play Seniors this year, it's fairly clear to most the league cannot sustain the older age grade.

The original premise behind Rod Ward's administration pushing for the older age grade was because some Eastern Bloc clubs were said to be losing players to neighbouring metro leagues with U/19 competitions.
The actual proposal in its first proposal was to go to U/19.5 which the clubs rejected completely. The administration/board pushed through 19s a year later despite some of the Eastern clubs still preferring 18.5s.
When a major league has seen more than 80 players eligible for U/19s play Seniors this year, it's fairly clear to most the league cannot sustain the older age grade.
Yes, but i think it is because injuries and unavailability have forced a clubs hand and they have bypassed reserves players to promote 19s. Reserves football, apart from a few clubs is really struggling this year.

Saw most of the Marsh - Darley derby yesty,

Darley kicked out to a 4-5 goal lead a couple times but Bacchus just wouldn’t go away & pegged them back. Had some momentum late in the third & early in the last to get back within a couple goals.

I thought Marsh creamed Darley out the middle in the 2nd half with Goetz dominating the hit outs. Bacchus had to scrap so hard for their goals whilst Darley could go coast to coast & score with relative ease.

Cobras got some great kids like Huxtable, Nixon, Penny, Mckercher , then a handful of older guys with Tyson, LaFranchi, Owen & Armfield, but probably not enough in the 24-28 age bracket at the moment.

Darley probably holding back abit, where as Cobras saw it as their big game to finish off 2024.

Crowd was a far cry from the golden 2016-2018 period, unfortunately looks like supporters of both clubs have dropped off.

Remove this Banner Ad

BFL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back