Big Bad Bustling Barry Hall

Remove this Banner Ad

swiftdog

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2005
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Make it happen. I know many on here will prefer to develop Anthony, Cloke, Dawes etc, but this bloke is the big body we need up forward for 2010-11. Everyone knows the risks involved but he's definitely worth a punt.

Our young KP's are our future but we have the potential to win a flag next year. I don't expect Cloke's kicking to miracously improve to become our prime forward next year. Anthony is too small to be the go to man. It's unrealistic to expect Dawes to go from a handfull of AFL games one year to world beater forward the next. I don't think we have any other KP forwards that can make a serious impression next year (Rusling is an extremely outside chance). Hence, we should make a serious play for Hall.

I was thinking about this last night actually. No comment though.

C'mon didaka what are ya thinking mate

Probably short term thoughts. How much I want to see a premiership and exploring any option to bring one home.

It would be nice to have a big angry intimidating man in that side. Just can't trust him though.

I would say this is a good idea if we were WB. Because WB need to win a premiership in the next few years or else their clock ticks over.

We shouldn't realistically be aiming for a premiership next year or the year after. Three years-ish our 21-22 year olds will develop into 25 year old big bodied players and that would be the time to recruit a Barry Hall.

Not now.

We shouldn't realistically be aiming for a premiership next year or the year after. Three years-ish our 21-22 year olds will develop into 25 year old big bodied players and that would be the time to recruit a Barry Hall.

Sorry but this is absolutely ridiculous. We finished top 4 this year, 0.2% off 3rd then made it to the prelims. The only sensible thing to do is to make the GF our goal next year.

I can't believe we went 7 wins in a row, were premiership favorites at one point and with a single loss all of a sudden people are saying it's impossible for us to get any further for the next 3 years.

As for Barry Hall, the man has a screw loose, he retired because he couldn't stop punching people. The man is a great footballer and would surely be a huge asset for a tilt at the flag next year, but would probably end up being more trouble than he's worth if he can't control himself.

Barry Halll, no way, round 21 the Pies were the flag fav dont forget!! This is simple Anthony was recruited as a backman play him there next year (worth trying Cloke there pre-season maybe) Forward set should be Dawes, Reid, Rusling and the little guys around them. We need to recruit at least one good midfielder... I'll trying making a play for Kerr again by trading 1st round pick and N. Brown to join his brother (I have no doubt if the Pies had the balls this would get done).... comments...

Make it happen. I know many on here will prefer to develop Anthony, Cloke, Dawes etc, but this bloke is the big body we need up forward for 2010-11. Everyone knows the risks involved but he's definitely worth a punt.

Our young KP's are our future but we have the potential to win a flag next year. I don't expect Cloke's kicking to miracously improve to become our prime forward next year. Anthony is too small to be the go to man. It's unrealistic to expect Dawes to go from a handfull of AFL games one year to world beater forward the next. I don't think we have any other KP forwards that can make a serious impression next year (Rusling is an extremely outside chance). Hence, we should make a serious play for Hall.

Your kidding yourself, the man has issues up stairs!!! We dont need him coming to the club, knocking someone out and then suspended for 10 weeks!!!

Sorry but this is absolutely ridiculous. We finished top 4 this year, 0.2% off 3rd then made it to the prelims. The only sensible thing to do is to make the GF our goal next year.

I can't believe we went 7 wins in a row, were premiership favorites at one point and with a single loss all of a sudden people are saying it's impossible for us to get any further for the next 3 years.

As for Barry Hall, the man has a screw loose, he retired because he couldn't stop punching people. The man is a great footballer and would surely be a huge asset for a tilt at the flag next year, but would probably end up being more trouble than he's worth if he can't control himself.

Similair to my thinking. This talk about our window being open later is ridicolous and a bit of a cop-out. We will have a very good chance once the young-uns are more experienced no doubt but making the prelim this year (and to a lesser extent 07) suggests that we may have a shot before then.

If we're to win a flag next year come finals time we will need a strong key forward target which we don't have yet. As I mentioned in the OP I don't think any of our young key forwards are up to it yet. Hence why I think we should make a play for him, especially considering from all reports that this is a weak draft.

As for his mindset no-one here knows what is and how it's affecting him. A change of scenery may be good for him. A proven star's worth the risk.

Agreed with Swift.

Barry's proven, is relatively mobile and can actually in contested footy.

Either use our first draft pick to get a big tall who'se quick enough to fit in our structure or make a move on Barry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need a Barry Hall type just the same as we needed a Ben Cousins type. Unfortunately we dont have the balls to take a risk which could result in a premiership.

How handy would Cousins have been in the prelim? No guts no glory I say.

We shouldn't realistically be aiming for a premiership next year or the year after.
You've got to be joking. Any team that finishes in the top-4 and reaches the Preliminary Final should be aiming for a premiership in the following year. If teams should wait until they're a certain age, then Brisbane would not have won the 2001 premiership, and Hawthorn would not have won the premiership last season.

draft_lens2137341module11124001photo_1219483102Want68.jpg

Barry Hall brings two advantages

(1) he can actually beat a decent opponent (something which JA has struggled with this year)

(2) having hall in the team means JA wouldn't have to face the best defender from the other team

Cheap and definitely servicable. I'm not for him clogging the list but to be in the mix of best forward options. Dawes does not have enough aggression at this stage of the game and not enough contested grabs. Rus will be awesome with a full pre-season, but we need some insurance in my view, a stop gap.

It's not always simply a case of big player steps aside, young player fills the breach. There are often gaps and Barry is as mature as he'll get and can kick goals and provide mongrel. Get him with a junk pick or PSD and if he doesn't fire, then not much lost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Big Bad Bustling Barry Hall

Remove this Banner Ad

Back