Big Footy is nearly as slow as AFL.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Chief,

Latency, is a pretty simple concept.

In simple terms, it is the time it takes for a packet to cross a network connection from sender to receiver.

And at the moment your site would have to be the worst I have come across.

HBT.

I usually find the site lagging around 9 - 11 at night especially Fridays and Saturdays. This would be due to the Increased traffic i would assume and i am using FF with ABP. Saturday just gone was really bad for me after the Bombers Vs Blues match i couldnt get access to anything quickly with loading times between pages extremely slow and it took 5 minutes loading when i tried to reply to a post, i just logged out and came back the next morning. :(

In the Mornings the site runs like a gem. :thumbsu:

Chief,

Latency, is a pretty simple concept.

In simple terms, it is the time it takes for a packet to cross a network connection from sender to receiver.

And at the moment your site would have to be the worst I have come across.

HBT.

Why then did it just take about 3 seconds for this page to load? Obviously "latency" as you've defined it is not the issue.

If latency where the issue then the problem would either be the pipe out of the BIG server cluster or the network in between the cluster and your machine. Nothing at all to do with the servers themselves. I'm not really interested in getting into an argument over it, but you're wrong.

Page load times might be due to a number of things because, as I've said, we've got a number of scripts calling 3rd party services (stats, ad-serving etc). Obviously people are having problems but I do not know what they are specifically because it runs well for me.

Chief,
Well thats a lovely piece of information.

You still refuse to address the situation that I am trying to fix.

You're site is as slow as a snail when you access it on Internet Explorer.

60% of the world use this as their default browser.

Why are you not trying to address this situation.

Thats all I want.

Technical speak is fine, but people on here dont want to hear it, they just want to get on when they press a button, and at the moment thats intolerable if you use IE.

I'm just after a fix here mate. Get it done please.

HBT.

HBT you're ignoring what Chief has been saying specifically the following

Page load times might be due to a number of things because, as I've said, we've got a number of scripts calling 3rd party services (stats, ad-serving etc). Obviously people are having problems but I do not know what they are specifically because it runs well for me.

I don't know if you understand the enormity of the problem, it's not as simple as changing a few things around. My undeducated guess on the situating is the problem would mainly lie with the bloating of the original forum software.

Also that 60% figure should decrease significantly in the next year as homes and businesses migrate to IE8. You do have a sound point, one I'm sure wouldn't be falling on deaf ears...just your demands are a little unreasonable imo.

Remember BigSoccer also runs on this server farm so there is never really a time when traffic is low.

Seriously, ditch IE7 for IE8, Firefox or Chrome.

This is Chiefs resolution to the problem.

Come on, there is a huge problem here, and changing your browser isn't the answer.

By his own words he admits in the quote above that traffic is a problem, but won't concede that its an infrasructure problem with BF.

Go onto any Gridiron, baseball or basketball site in the US, and use IE and see what the latency is. Then compare it with BF.

HBT

His answer to resolve the immediate problem. I don't see him admitting there is an infrastructure problem, we are not in the know with the third party testing results. So I'll take his word on that.

What he has said, is that there is a problem (small imo, I've used IE7 on this site and it's not that bad as what some people are experiencing / making it out be) that they don't know the answer is.

IE7 users represent 41% of our traffic and dropping.

I don't know what the issue is for IE7 users. I open it in IE7 and it takes a bit longer to open than on Firefox - the main forum list just took 7 seconds (me counting 1 elephant 2 elephant...) to open in IE7 on my machine. I click the main board and that is 5 seconds.

Yes: too long, but not unbearable when you get in the groove with it.

No: I don't know why.

Yes: I'm asking the tech guys to look at it but they will probably come back saying "Well, you have several different third-party scripts and ad servers, VBulletin is a bit bloated these days and IE7 is a horrible web browser that, THANK GOD, is slowly dying out..."

We cannot indefinitely hold the site back to allow for bad web browsers. In addition, we are limited by the software VBulletin write. I believe they could get rid of a lot of bloat but they are probably not committed to rewriting something which works.
Yeah, the somethingawful forums (now 2nd or 3rd largest forum on the net) uses vbulletin.
Vb couldn't handle the traffic and the owner had to employ a coder specifically to alter vb for that reason.

Why should the 60% of users that use IE7 as their default browser have to change just because of this sites latency.

I'm purely refering to the latency you have on the home page before you start to interact.

Every other forum site I use works perfectly, except this one.

I'm only asking the question of whether your infrastructure needs addressing.

If you can't accept that there is a problem here, you are bound to lose audience share slowly. I'm trying to help this site, but so far my efforts have been falling on deaf ears.

Thanks,

HBT.
Mate, you seriously have no idea what you are talking about.

Yeah, the somethingawful forums (now 2nd or 3rd largest forum on the net) uses vbulletin.
Vb couldn't handle the traffic and the owner had to employ a coder specifically to alter vb for that reason.

They did that back on version 2 though. And they are 13th largest by number of posts. 120,000 members makes them no bigger than the BIG sites.

VB could easily handle their traffic these days but their database is probably so hacked they could never convert to the latest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They did that back on version 2 though. And they are 13th largest by number of posts. 120,000 members makes them no bigger than the BIG sites.

VB could easily handle their traffic these days but their database is probably so hacked they could never convert to the latest.
Hmm. You're right, sorry I swear I read that.
Fair enough.

Has been uncharacteristically slow for me for a while and hasn't improved. It runs well generally but occasionally it'll take a while to load - I'll have 3 or 4 tabs loading and I'll have to wait upwards of ten seconds for any of them to begin loading. Tends to happen whenever I use the search function.

Why do you have so many tabs loading?

It's how I surf. Open up a number of threads that interest me all at once and make my way through them. Don't have to wait for each thread to load individually.

However, as I mentioned above, it's become a lot slower when doing that in recent months - it'll be on the loading screen for all the tabs, then load them all straight at once, i.e. not gradually. Didn't have that problem in the past.

I have a new internet connection.

I browse about 10 sites regularly. BF is by far the slowest. Much slower than AFL.com. By changing my ISP I have gone from downloading mpg files at around 5MB per minute to consistently 16mb per minute. BF has sped up with this new connection.

No big deal it just means I dont make as many hits on this forum as I would if it was quicker.

PS, I use IE7.

Cheers

I was getting this error earlier in the day when trying to access the site.

Warning: require_once(./includes/vba_global_error.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in [path]/includes/functions.php(2937) : eval()'d code on line 21

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required './includes/vba_global_error.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/www/bigfooty.com/forum/includes/functions.php(2937) : eval()'d code on line 21

I've gone from IE8 back to IE6 and it goes ok. My normal browser is Opera and while it slows at times it's generally good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Big Footy is nearly as slow as AFL.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back