Constipated Duck

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2006
Neuschwanstein
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat
Might be worthwhile to celebrate some of the huge marks taken by North players over the years, seeing we don't have much else to smile about at the moment!

5 of my favourites (the first 5 that come to mind, anyway)

1. Winston Abraham vs Port @ Manuka, 1998 - the King spots up Winnie and kicks to the pocket, Winnie takes a big run up and jumps as long as he does high.
2. Brett Allison vs Collingwood @ MCG, 1991 - standing start virtually, before you know it he's up on Crosisca's shoulder.
3. Craig Sholl vs West Coast @ Princes Park, 1995 - can't remember whose head the Doc stood on, but he got up higher than he needed to and took it on the chest
4. Wayne Carey vs Footscray @ Docklands, 2000 - we blew a big half time lead and need something special from the King. Outmuscles Croft on the edge of the goalsquare, and takes a slips catch two inches from the turf. Skill, strength and timing like nothing else I've seen.
5. Saverio Rocca vs Carlton @ Docklands, 2005 - big leap for such a massive unit. Feel sorry for the poor bastard he landed on. I think he missed the resultant shot for goal, but finished with 4 goals and 3 Brownlow votes.

Constipated Duck said:
Might be worthwhile to celebrate some of the huge marks taken by North players over the years, seeing we don't have much else to smile about at the moment!

1. Winston Abraham vs Port @ Manuka, 1998 - the King spots up Winnie and kicks to the pocket, Winnie takes a big run up and jumps as long as he does high.
2. Brett Allison vs Collingwood @ MCG, 1991 - standing start virtually, before you know it he's up on Crosisca's shoulder.
3. Craig Sholl vs West Coast @ Princes Park, 1995 - can't remember whose head the Doc stood on, but he got up higher than he needed to and took it on the chest
4. Wayne Carey vs Footscray @ Docklands, 2000 - we blew a big half time lead and need something special from the King. Outmuscles Croft on the edge of the goalsquare, and takes a slips catch two inches from the turf. Skill, strength and timing like nothing else I've seen.
5. Saverio Rocca vs Carlton @ Docklands, 2005 - big leap for such a massive unit. Feel sorry for the poor bastard he landed on. I think he missed the resultant shot for goal, but finished with 4 goals and 3 Brownlow votes.

Handed off to corey jones running passed him who ran into an open goal, making the mark even better.

I like Carey's mark on McGrath against the Cats in the goal square.

They were standing toe-to-toe and Carey almost had his back to the ball.

I swear it looked like Wayne was already walking backward to line up his kick for goal before he pulled it in with the one hand.

Corey took a nice one in the 1994 extra time final against Hawthorn.
Longmire when he took the hang and then crashed into the goal post in 93.
Carey Friday nighter against Essendon in 1993, with strong hands and one grab.
Carey running with the flight of the ball on a Friday night in 94 or 95, against Essendon, crashed through a bemused James Hird.

scottywiper said:
Carey running with the flight of the ball on a Friday night in 94 or 95, against Essendon, crashed through a bemused James Hird.

Carey running with the flight of the ball and marks over a massive pack in the goal square at princess park against the Crows.

Carey running with the flight of the ball to mark in the goal square and win us the night final against the saints.

Hmmm...I'm seeing a trend here.

Constipated Duck said:
I reckon you're being kind to Wayne there big fella. He was loading up from outside 50 like we saw him do so many times to kick one of his trade mark long bombs but shanked it off the side of his boot. It floated horribly, but it does make Winnie's mark all the better that he judged it the way he did.
Constipated Duck said:
That was incredible. That was when he was in the midst of that real bad OP he was carrying that year and was literally on one leg and could barely move, which makes the strength required to hold out Croft all the more amazing.

But it was bitter sweet that such an act could lift us so high yet also just about shatter any chance we had of stealing back the win as he then went back and slammed the set shot through for a point from 5 metres out.

I reckon the best mark i ever saw Carey take was in an intraclub match out at Skinner reserve in Sunshine in the mid 90's where he stood on Mick Martyn's head for what seemed like 10 seconds and took the grab at its absolute highest point. I remember one of the paper's captured it and it made the backpage of the paper, it was that good.

Carlos said:
I reckon the best mark i ever saw Carey take was in an intraclub match out at Skinner reserve in Sunshine in the mid 90's where he stood on Mick Martyn's head for what seemed like 10 seconds and took the grab at its absolute highest point. I remember one of the paper's captured it and it made the backpage of the paper, it was that good.
I think I have a copy of that on my computer at home... great pic.

speedy said:
Carey running with the flight of the ball and marks over a massive pack in the goal square at princess park against the Crows.

Carey running with the flight of the ball to mark in the goal square and win us the night final against the saints.

Hmmm...I'm seeing a trend here.

Carey RWTFOTB against Port in the wet in the finals.
Carey RWTFOTB against Hawks in a match we just lost in 1993.

scottywiper said:

How could I forget that one. He actually led outside of the 50 first and then when it wasnt passed to him he had to run all the way back to the goal square.

Persistance payed off for the Duck.

Carlos said:

Vague memories of that one also. Speaking of hangers that made the papers, but weren't "official", John "Super" McCarthy pulled down a one-handed hanger one time, but the ball had already crossed through as a behind. From memory he was perched beautifully on some Fitzroy player's shoulders, with one arm fully extended upwards and the Sherrin stuck in the top of his hand like a big red egg in an eggcup. Also made a backpage if memory serves correct.

Carlos said:
I reckon you're being kind to Wayne there big fella. He was loading up from outside 50 like we saw him do so many times to kick one of his trade mark long bombs but shanked it off the side of his boot. It floated horribly, but it does make Winnie's mark all the better that he judged it the way he did.

That was incredible. That was when he was in the midst of that real bad OP he was carrying that year and was literally on one leg and could barely move, which makes the strength required to hold out Croft all the more amazing.

But it was bitter sweet that such an act could lift us so high yet also just about shatter any chance we had of stealing back the win as he then went back and slammed the set shot through for a point from 5 metres out.

I'm pretty certain that grab was taken in 1994 at the Rosebud ground. Most of Carey's best mark were tests of strength or running with the flight, but this was a dead-set hanger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

scottywiper said:

Watched that whole episode unfold in front of me from a great vantage point in the old Smokers' stand. Possibly my fave individual moment of the great man, just cos it highlighted his work ethic and his awesome capabilities in the one play.

Gee I miss him.

Constipated Duck said:

As this thread digresses into a Carey love-fest.......

That mark of Fruity's is the one that stands out for me, mostly because it happened mere metres in front of me. It was a pretty grey, flat sort of day at the G, and a quick kick inside 50 saw The Fruit literally sprout wings and fly. I swear, he just lifted like he had some sort of secret agent jet-shoes. An amazing thing to see when you're standing only metres away and at ground level. Awesome. Or, as described in the less excitable version, it was from a "standing start". Still awesome, though. "The Fruit" momentarily became "The Fruit Fly".

Best hanger that I have been involved with personally saw a young Paul Roos, circa his Fitzroy playing days, launch himself onto my fairly insubstantial shoulders during a basketball match in Nunawading. Back in those days, the Fitzroy lads had a basketball team going. It was mostly made up of fringe Fitzroy players but Roosy, Pert and Ozzy were all in the team. One Sunday afternoon game against them, I'd had a few pre-match beers and was a bit wobbly, and Roosy, on the receiving end of a court-length fastbreak pass, momentarily forgot what sport he was playing and flew for a superb hanger at my expense. I guess the opportunity was just too good to refuse. I meanwhile ended up with two bruised ribs, and got a first-hand taste of what sort of lacquer they decided upon for the Nunawading Stadium basketball courts. Was still pretty funny, though.

Go Roos !!........the team, I mean. Not that pr*ck who slammed me.

I personally like Winnies against Essendon in 98. I've never seen a replay of it, only live on TV. Its where he had about 5 grabs at it and finally got it as he was making contact with the ground.

RooVegas said:
Vague memories of that one also. Speaking of hangers that made the papers, but weren't "official", John "Super" McCarthy pulled down a one-handed hanger one time, but the ball had already crossed through as a behind. From memory he was perched beautifully on some Fitzroy player's shoulders, with one arm fully extended upwards and the Sherrin stuck in the top of his hand like a big red egg in an eggcup. Also made a backpage if memory serves correct.
I may have a pic of that too! I won't be back home for at least a few days so you'll all have to wait unless someone else posts them.

The Craig Sholl grab is one of my favourites.

KingyOrTheKing said:
I personally like Winnies against Essendon in 98. I've never seen a replay of it, only live on TV. Its where he had about 5 grabs at it and finally got it as he was making contact with the ground.

Have that game on tape and have watched it a million times, it's just about knackered. Ian Roberton was calling that game
"Winston Abraham, if you don't mind, twisting and turning, what's the degree of difficulty there Bruce"

I recall Snake Baker taking a few good hangers during his time, Kerry Good took a huge mark at Princess Park one day, can't recall the year.

Lets make this a picture appreciation thread

0,,5183238,00.jpg

27s_rocca_narrowweb__200x319.jpg

gallery-abraham.jpg

carey1.jpg

Constipated Duck said:

1. Winston Abraham vs Port @ Manuka, 1998 - I was watching this game while on an exercise bike at my gym. When he took the grab I let rip with a thunderous "WINNIE". Everybody in the room shat themselves and the instructor on duty was on his way over to ask me to leave....when he saw the replay all was forgiven.

2. Brett Allison vs Collingwood @ MCG, 1991 - This is my all time favourite grab and Fruity immediately became my favourite player as a result. Indeed my "1997LeadGoalKicker" moniker is homage to the man. I purchased the photo from the Herald-Sun, had it signed by Fruity, framed it and hung it up my office. A couple of years later, Gavin Crosisca came into the office in his role as a Sales Rep for some stationary company. Upon seeing him, I grabbed the pic off the wall and asked him for his autograph as well (GC is the Collingwood played Fruity used as a step ladder). He was great about and said "If I had a dollar for every one of these f&&&ing pictures I've signed...". Apparently there are quite a few copies of it around.

3. Craig Sholl vs West Coast @ Princes Park, 1995 - I think this one happened in front of me but I can't be sure. Was this the mark where he landed heavily and had to be taken from the ground?

i think that sholl mark was in 97 not 95

i think carey has a really underrated mark against richmond in 95, it was round 20 or 19 (end of season before finals) and he came from NO WHERE to take a huge chest mark over a huge pack coming in from the side. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Big Hangers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back