BigAnt Studios to develop AFL Live 3 - Petition

Remove this Banner Ad

Yup, fair point, and there is actually a market beyond no doubt..

The last point you made is the important one. The AFL should be investing in the game to market itself.

I have no real interest in Rugby League at all, but i've probably sunk 50 hours into RLL3 and I watched the NRL GF with a greater understanding of the game. So many people follow the NFL, NBA, NHL and soccer because they learned the players and the teams playing video games with their mates.

The last point you made is the important one. The AFL should be investing in the game to market itself.

I have no real interest in Rugby League at all, but i've probably sunk 50 hours into RLL3 and I watched the NRL GF with a greater understanding of the game. So many people follow the NFL, NBA, NHL and soccer because they learned the players and the teams playing video games with their mates.

Jarryd Hayne even switched to the NFL partly because of the Madden games.

Rugby league games have a decent sized market in both England and New Zealand and I think some Rugby die hards in Union nations even pick it up.
Cricket also obviously has a huge international market.
AFL's market is considerably smaller unfortunately so the work is given to the smaller dev.

There are about 12 million Australians west of the Barassi line.

And how many of them play sports video games...

It's a small market, no matter how you look at it. NHL games struggle relative to soccer, American football and basketball, due to a smaller market. That smaller market is nevertheless significantly bigger than the AFL one.

When i lived in Darwin, AFL Live kept selling out. I pre-ordered and picked up on release day but i had friends who had to wait about a month to get it

(having said that, they probably only shipped 20 copies a time up there)

To me, AFL Live 2 wasn't AFL Live 2, only "AFL Wii 2". I know if we really got a real AFL Live 2 from Big Ant, the gameplay wouldn't have been static slow paced kicking and goal style of play. Jeez, why didn't Tru Blu get Big Ant to port AFL Live 1 to mobile instead of "AFL Wii 2". I play it all the time on PC now. I can't wait to see how WW ruin AFL games for the future.

Too bad Big Ant couldn't just produce a partially crowd funded Footy game like with Lacrosse 16. Tru Blu made a big mistake, God knows what they were thinking giving it to Wicked Witch.

The thing is there is a guy who makes/own a Lacrosse game making company who is helping fund a lot of that project. The kickstarter at first didn't reach the goal, eventually did on indiegogo though.
I believe he actually took out loans to get the budget towards a million dollars

Would need someone like him who really wants Big Ant to make another AFL game! Either that or the AFL themselves decide to chip in for the use of the best, yet most expensive development option.

The thing is there is a guy who makes/own a Lacrosse game making company who is helping fund a lot of that project. The kickstarter at first didn't reach the goal, eventually did on indiegogo though.
I believe he actually took out loans to get the budget towards a million dollars

Would need someone like him who really wants Big Ant to make another AFL game! Either that or the AFL themselves decide to chip in for the use of the best, yet most expensive development option.

That's why I said partially crowd funded. It's still all a big pipe dream.

At least we got an AFL game through Big Ant and it's really good and there's no reason it won't be good in ten years from now either, just like your favourite games from the past...

Most AFL games over the years have been a one off release. Even EA AFL 98.

Many great games of many genres were one off releases

I'm looking forward to see if WW can improve the gameplay for the next release..because what else can I look forward to in terms of AFL gaming?? I may as well be positive and give them a chance to see what they can do..

The issues I had with AFL Live 2 was kicking for goal, set shots, way too difficult and really clunky. Contested marks seemed awkward and samey. Kicking for goal on the run at the boundary is clunky and awkward. The ball movement seemed unnatural in the gameplay or a bit awkward.

But the graphics and animations were pretty good.

They have something to work with. But I personally prefer AFL Live 1 gameplay by a fair margin at this point.

But again, that's the challenge for WW.

Last edited:
Well said Mootsy. If AFL 1 didn't exist there'd probably be a lot more hope for AFL 2 leading somewhere in future versions. WW did get some things right. AI is the toughest thing to crack though (even for online, need your team mates doing useful things and moving to expected positions) and I do wonder if WW has what it takes. AFL 2 strikes me as one of those meat pies that looks the business but then you take a bite and it's empty inside, there is just no substance to the gameplay. And for the patch to not address any of the glaring issues with the defense AI in particular (a game killer imo) smacks of them not understanding what their priorities are. What single shred of evidence do we have that they will try and address this in future, especially when creating a version that looks and feels like a next gen title will probably take the vast amount of their limited resources. AFL 1's greatest achievement is that there were genuine subtleties to the game play, the first and only AFL game to achieve this. Whenever someone complains about the constant tackling and ballups etc., it just smacks to me of a gamer who doesn't quite understand what BA achieved with this title.

At least we got an AFL game through Big Ant and it's really good and there's no reason it won't be good in ten years from now either, just like your favourite games from the past...

Most AFL games over the years have been a one off release. Even EA AFL 98.

Many great games of many genres were one off releases

I'm looking forward to see if WW can improve the gameplay for the next release..because what else can I look forward to in terms of AFL gaming?? I may as well be positive and give them a chance to see what they can do..

The issues I had with AFL Live 2 was kicking for goal, set shots, way too difficult and really clunky. Contested marks seemed awkward and samey. Kicking for goal on the run at the boundary is clunky and awkward. The ball movement seemed unnatural in the gameplay or a bit awkward.

But the graphics and animations were pretty good.

They have something to work with. But I personally prefer AFL Live 1 gameplay by a fair margin at this point.

But again, that's the challenge for WW.

Big Ant had bigger plans for AFL games after AFL Live 1, and they would have improved on the unpolished areas of the game through each iteration.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Playing Don Bradman Cricket and RLL3 makes me wonder what could have been.

Such a shame wicked witch completely destroyed any chance of having a decent game in the future

I think the strangest part of the whole developer change was that Ross himself said that the first AFL game was all about building a foundation and that they'd make a loss on the game which they'd be able to recoup from the sequels. Wonder if they get compensated for having that ripped away from them?

Playing Don Bradman Cricket and RLL3 makes me wonder what could have been.

Such a shame wicked witch completely destroyed any chance of having a decent game in the future
While Wicked Witch are the people pumping out this shite, IMO the blame goes squarely on Tru Blu. Wicked Witch are just doing what they do, ie. making shit games. It's not their fault. It was Tru Blu who gave Big Ant the arse and went for the cheap cash grab option.

It looks better and it's easier to pick up and play. Things like career mode would have extended the longevity if the gameplay was enjoyable.

I'm not a WW fan, but I think they did try.
15 year career mode was a good idea and had me finish 3 years of it before I found it being too weird as coach and player

It looks better and it's easier to pick up and play. Things like career mode would have extended the longevity if the gameplay was enjoyable.

Gameplay is just not quite right. Something is off about the ball physics in the game, in my opinion..
The ball doesn't slow down at all...

Another issue was the tap outs and disposals in the midfield felt one dimensional. Too easy and a bit laggy.

Not enough variations of skills either..skills felt really one dimensional..

What did they do well??

-Player positioning is good, it's what you'd expect.
Handballing is enjoyable and feels about right.
Holding the ball is good. Including the replay video that follows
Marking is ok. I have no idea how to take a speccy, at all.
Kicking for goal on the run is ok, it's very difficult on set shot though. I don't really understand the controls configuration.

The game could do with a lot of gameplay improvement..

Last edited:

It took me ages to figure out AFL "Live 2". The camera angles were ridiculous, the pacing and marking was horrendous. It completely devolved from Big Ant's high pacing style of gameplay. The gameplay was very close to those terrible IR Gurus Footy games from the 00's, where you just kick, mark and goal slowly. And I wanted to like it, I didn't want to hate it. But when I played AFL Live 1 after playing "Live 2", its a much better experience that makes me wonder why Tru Blu decided for us to not have good AFL games for the future. Wicked Witch, if they truly did try is another thing, but they were set up to fail.

Gameplay is just not quite right. Something is off about the ball physics in the game, in my opinion..
The ball doesn't slow down at all...

Another issue was the tap outs and disposals in the midfield felt one dimensional. Too easy and a bit laggy.

Not enough variations of skills either..skills felt really one dimensional..

What did they do well??

-Player positioning is good, it's what you'd expect.
Handballing is enjoyable and feels about right.
Holding the ball is good. Including the replay video that follows
Marking is ok. I have no idea how to take a speccy, at all.
Kicking for goal on the run is ok, it's very difficult on set shot though. I don't really understand the controls configuration.

The game could do with a lot of gameplay improvement..
Yeah i agree with the positives.

negatives that i thought were obvious after a while

- positioning around the ground wasn't realistic. i.e. the entire foward lines staying in their set positions instead of moving down the ground to be in the gameplay. I wanted a more open field to attack in to like a real game. example: Lewis Jetta running the entire field because every player was past the centre circle in the defending 50.

- Closing speed was ridiculous. any player no matter what their speed stats are can chase down anyone ridiculously quickly. Cyril shouldn't be able to get chased down by ruckmen in the clear when their speed stats are shockingly lower.

THE NUMBER 1 PROBLEM (game was 25% worse because of it): locking on to an opponent to tackle. Made it stupidly easy to tackle (stoppage after stoppage). Shouldnt be able to lock on. It should be difficult to tackle an opponent.

The lock on tackle does make both games a bit rugby style, but once you learn to avoid tackles by sprinting it gets easier I think.

This is where a developer needs the time and a good budget to make the right gameplay style...

You can sort of see why people want EA to have another go...

Still think Big Ant did a brilliant job with the gameplay considering the constraints of the project. It feels like FIFA 08 quality. Really good AFL game that has a lot of replay ability.

WW need to fine tune the gameplay a fair bit to get that replay value..

Last edited:
To think that if AFL Live 3 was made by Big Ant it would have most likely had VFL, SANFL, WAFL, NEAFL, TAC, a be a pro mode as well as a detailed career mode all in the game breaks my heart. Hopefully in 5-10 years time when Big Ant are well known for their great Cricket and Rugby League games a publisher will give them another crack at an AFL game.

Remove this Banner Ad

BigAnt Studios to develop AFL Live 3 - Petition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back