Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

d453cd4ff71c782abae8040e51f3beb6.jpg

Completely forgot Municipal Waste are touring this week. Got my ticket for Friday. Glad I remembered as I've never seen them before.

Seen them twice. Saw them at the Arthouse around 06 from memory. Walked up and it was sold out. Actually probably over sold too. MW bassist sees me get turned away, asks me about my Macabre shirt, then asks me what happened at the door and in response says you’re now on the guest list. Impressive move imo. Not sure I’ll be out on Friday but they used to put on a decent show and reckon they still would.

Today has basically been the Fu Manchu discography. What a band.
90s Fu Manchu is untouchable, the template for stoner rock.
  • No One Rides for Free, almost sounds like proto-Fu Manchu, rocks in its unique way. Has one of the best lines, "She wanted nothing, and I delivered." 7/10
  • Daredevil, a bit hit and miss but plenty of killer songs that they should play more in live shows. 7.5/10
  • In Search Of..., the blueprint of stoner rock, saw them do this in full live in 2012. 10/10
  • The Action is Go, for me it's an even better album. 10/10
  • Eatin' Dust, not sure if you'd call it an EP but it's ab fab, great cover of Godzilla. 9.5/10
  • King of the Road, hints they were starting to slide but most of the album is killer. 9/10
They lost me with California Crossing. The next 2-3 albums didn't grab me at all, sub-par. I thought they had lost it until they released Gigantoid... great album! (8.5/10) Definitely the best since King of the Road. Clone of the Universe was ok but a bit too experimental for my liking.

I haven't checked out the new album yet. They might surprise me but I'd be shocked if they hit their 90s form again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

90s Fu Manchu is untouchable, the template for stoner rock.
  • No One Rides for Free, almost sounds like proto-Fu Manchu, rocks in its unique way. Has one of the best lines, "She wanted nothing, and I delivered." 7/10
  • Daredevil, a bit hit and miss but plenty of killer songs that they should play more in live shows. 7.5/10
  • In Search Of..., the blueprint of stoner rock, saw them do this in full live in 2012. 10/10
  • The Action is Go, for me it's an even better album. 10/10
  • Eatin' Dust, not sure if you'd call it an EP but it's ab fab, great cover of Godzilla. 9.5/10
  • King of the Road, hints they were starting to slide but most of the album is killer. 9/10
They lost me with California Crossing. The next 2-3 albums didn't grab me at all, sub-par. I thought they had lost it until they released Gigantoid... great album! (8.5/10) Definitely the best since King of the Road. Clone of the Universe was ok but a bit too experimental for my liking.

I haven't checked out the new album yet. They might surprise me but I'd be shocked if they hit their 90s form again.

The new one is really cool! Worth a listen for sure.
My favourites are undoubtedly No-one Rides, King of the Road & The Action is Go.
California Crossing was the first one I got and while enjoyable doesn't really reach the levels of the earlier stuff.

Didn't know this was a thing. On it now!

I haven't really warmed to the new Alcest, granted only given it a couple of spins at work where I've been distracted by.... work.... though

Yeah I’ve not connected with it as easily as the last few. Still enjoying it though. It’s a little ‘lighter’ than previous releases. Reminds me of ‘Shelter’ a bit.

Halfway through and this is excellent. Great guitar playing too, I’m a casual BM fan and don’t notice this level in the stuff I’ve checked out.
100%. I put it on for the first time yesterday and it captured me from the get go. In and around work/family duties it's had a couple of run throughs, and it'll get more today.

At the moment listening to Heilung's LIFA gig. Pagan ceremony and ritual tunes played with Pagan instruments. Not metal at all but rhythmic, percussive, tribal music that sits in the background nicely at work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back