Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a metal post and not really a rant... I saw a video pop of all the #1 hits in Australia for a decade so decided to watch vids from the 1950s through to the 2000s.

Music was very, very predictable and tame in the '50s up until the mid '60s when The Beatles appeared. I didn't realise it but they held the #1 slot for about 8 of 12 months in 1964! It's insane how big they were and we'll never see anything like it again. The Stones arrived around '65 and by '66 was the beginning of the psychedelic movement (although not represented by #1 hits). There was a large transformation moving from the 60s into the 70s, and the quality of songs started picking up around 1975. The quality was consistent to around the mid 80s before starting to slide a bit, and by the mid-90s it was a nose dive in quality. The 2000s songs are utter garbage. There are people like Kylie Minogue and Madonna that had #1 songs during this time and they're total crap compared to their '80s hits.

Now I know this is a very narrow sample of normie music but to a large degree mirrors metal. You had proto-metal 66-69 with Sabbath arriving in 1970, but things didn't really get moving until Judas Priest ('76), Motorhead ('77), etc. From there things were absolutely explosive up until the late 80s when things started to plateau, and by the mid 90s it was almost dead. Since then there's been plenty of decent music but barely little innovation.

It seems like we got to a point in the 90s and exhausted the best of what we could do musically, kinda like the Pareto Principle... 80% of the best music was already recorded. There has undeniably been a decline in artistic capability and expression during the past 30 years. What to put this down to? Is it that the culture is burnt out? Are we too decadent as a society? Has technology indirectly (and directly) destroyed the art of music? Is there anywhere further to go or are we simply repeating what has come before us? The decline was before the internet and Napster, so while it may be a factor there's something definitely bigger influencing the decline.

I'd be interested to hear what you guys think.

Who da **** still listens to Limp Bizkit?

I presume the list counts down to one...

Sleep Token
Motionless in White
Tool
Judas Priest
Megadeth
Godsmack
A Day to Remember
Bad Omens
Pantera
Slayer
Falling in Reverse
Five Finger Death Punch
Alice in Chains
Iron Maiden
Avenged Sevenfold
Deftones
Korn
Rammstein
Disturbed
Slipknot
Bring Me the Horizon
Black Sabbath
Limp Bizkit
System of a Down
Metallica
Linkin Park

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a metal post and not really a rant... I saw a video pop of all the #1 hits in Australia for a decade so decided to watch vids from the 1950s through to the 2000s.

Music was very, very predictable and tame in the '50s up until the mid '60s when The Beatles appeared. I didn't realise it but they held the #1 slot for about 8 of 12 months in 1964! It's insane how big they were and we'll never see anything like it again. The Stones arrived around '65 and by '66 was the beginning of the psychedelic movement (although not represented by #1 hits). There was a large transformation moving from the 60s into the 70s, and the quality of songs started picking up around 1975. The quality was consistent to around the mid 80s before starting to slide a bit, and by the mid-90s it was a nose dive in quality. The 2000s songs are utter garbage. There are people like Kylie Minogue and Madonna that had #1 songs during this time and they're total crap compared to their '80s hits.

Now I know this is a very narrow sample of normie music but to a large degree mirrors metal. You had proto-metal 66-69 with Sabbath arriving in 1970, but things didn't really get moving until Judas Priest ('76), Motorhead ('77), etc. From there things were absolutely explosive up until the late 80s when things started to plateau, and by the mid 90s it was almost dead. Since then there's been plenty of decent music but barely little innovation.

It seems like we got to a point in the 90s and exhausted the best of what we could do musically, kinda like the Pareto Principle... 80% of the best music was already recorded. There has undeniably been a decline in artistic capability and expression during the past 30 years. What to put this down to? Is it that the culture is burnt out? Are we too decadent as a society? Has technology indirectly (and directly) destroyed the art of music? Is there anywhere further to go or are we simply repeating what has come before us? The decline was before the internet and Napster, so while it may be a factor there's something definitely bigger influencing the decline.

I think this is the main reason personally, the flow on effect has been that there's no money in recorded music and it's harder for bands to make a name. You see this on festival bills, there's so many old names who are mainly over the hill.

There's still good music being made if you look hard enough though, I guess it's easy to record good sounding albums these days, maybe with the exception of drums, don't think that's changed much.

In some ways rock and metal are done, but doesn't mean you have to be doing something completely new to be a good band. Trends come back around anyway, nu metal is back to a certain extent, even the hardcore/thrash crossover is happening again, though it's the "new" hardcore as opposed to the traditional.

In short, the art of music hasn't died but being a good live act has never been more important. It's where you make your money and with camera phones everyone will know if you can't pull it off in a live setting.

I think there is only so much you can do with rock based music. I think we could all survive off our collections being limited to music recorded between 1970 - 1995. Once the second wave of black metal petered out at 95 the progression of metal pretty much came to an end for me (save for brutal death I guess though its peak was over 20 years ago). Guarantee punk/hardcore etc would pretty much follow the same path. Many great albums recorded since 95 though nothing that hasnā€™t really been done before.

Best music written already: I think when it comes to chords, melodies, riffs. They are somehow mathematical limited. Best combinations are probably used already.

And when it comes to big names you mention: Most likely to happen less that we get bands everybody likes. When you asked 100 people at shows about the best recent newcomer you'd get 80 people to name the same band. Now most likely 80 different names. So artist to get as big as Beatles, Maiden or Madonna feels less likely today. On the other hand some bands like Amon Amarth, Sabaton, Volbeat play pretty big venues. See how long they can keep it up. Still have a feeling they have more limited fanbase then those bands of old. And they mainstream has Taylor Swift. From what I read she is huge...

The new Forgotten Tomb is good. Will check out Wormwitch, I usually like what Dee Snider posts, except for Steel Panther, they can get in the ****ing bin

I agree. I've never listened to an album, saw them at a Soundwave, found the first song funny, the second one amusing, got old by the third song and I went and watched something else.

Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back